IRD 10spd Elite wide range cassette with a compact double crank?

Peter@vecchios said:
... No need to mix a set of ERGOs and sully it up with a shimano RD.
LOL!

But, I've been using Shimano rear derailleurs since the CRANE era ...

And, way-back-when, I found the DA front derailleur (circa 1978, I guess -- the one that was introduced with the rear derailleur that had capped teeth on the upper pulley) shifted better (for me, at least) than the NR front derailleur ...

So, it isn't a travesty in-my-mind to use Shimano derailleurs with Campagnolo components.

Peter@vecchios said:
Last pointy top was 1998 Athena and below. Record and Chorus were rounded top altho the shift innards were the same thruout the line. Last pointy top rhuout was 1997, first year of 9s.
1999 the innards changed again to incorporate ERGOBrain but the shift disc dimensions stayed the same.
Okay, thanks -- I obviously wasn't paying enough attention to what Campy was doing in 1997-99, and I thought that only the Record & Chorus had changed to the rounded top levers in 1998 ...

BTW. The only change I see in the 1998-99 vs. 2000+ is the hole drilled in the handle to accommodate the button ... what am I not seeing/remembering?

Peter@vecchios said:
Last pointy top was 1998 Athena and below.
BTW. I've got a couple of sets of 9-speed Athena shifters, so THAT is why I presumed the pointy topped shifters persisted in 1999, too.

alfeng said:
Okay, thanks -- I obviously wasn't paying enough attention to what Campy was doing in 1997-99, and I thought that only the Record & Chorus had changed to the rounded top levers in 1998 ...

BTW. The only change I see in the 1998-99 vs. 2000+ is the hole drilled in the handle to accommodate the button ... what am I not seeing/remembering?

Center section of the shift disc and thru bolt in front, attach bolt in rear, all changed, 1998 to 1999. This makes 1998 9s only, whereas you can convert 1999 thru 2008(Record/Chorus) from 9 to 10 to 8 to 9 to 10..etc.

Peter@vecchios said:
Center section of the shift disc and thru bolt in front, attach bolt in rear, all changed, 1998 to 1999. This makes 1998 9s only, whereas you can convert 1999 thru 2008(Record/Chorus) from 9 to 10 to 8 to 9 to 10..etc.
Okay ... thanks ... without looking at a couple of shifters from the pre-ErgoBrain & ErgoBrain era, side-by-side, I think I understand ...

alfeng said:
Okay ... thanks ... without looking at a couple of shifters from the pre-ErgoBrain & ErgoBrain era, side-by-side, I think I understand ...

Take the back plastic cap off. If the plate you see is smooth, no notches, held there by a button head bolt-1998. If the plate has 2 notches(for the ERGOBrain pins) and held there by a 4mm allen head bolt-1998 and after thru 2006. Thru 2008 for Record and Chorus. No ERGO Brain for 2009 AFAIK, good thing.

Peter@vecchios said:
Take the back plastic cap off. If the plate you see is smooth, no notches, held there by a button head bolt-1998. If the plate has 2 notches(for the ERGOBrain pins) and held there by a 4mm allen head bolt-1998 and after thru 2006. Thru 2008 for Record and Chorus.
Thanks.

Peter@vecchios said:
No ERGO Brain for 2009 AFAIK, good thing.
What! What's not to like?
1) the cadence wire strapped to the downtube
2) the cadence magnet on the crankarm
3) the cost
4) __(other)__

Well, at least the ErgoBrain retains its data when the battery is removed/dead ...

Have the newer FlightDeck heads (which are also made by Cateye) finally added that capability?