IRD Black Lightning teflon chain

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Well, "teflon-impregnated", which "reduces friction". Any better than a regular chain? (by regular I
    mean good-quality like Dura Ace).

    Tags:

  2. Ari

    Ari Guest

    I like the rohloff slt-99. I've got TA chainrings, titanium cassette, campy derailleurs and I think
    the rohloff keeps it all working together nice.

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, "teflon-impregnated", which "reduces friction". Any better than a regular chain? (by regular
    > I mean good-quality like Dura Ace).

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    The least expensive IRD chain, which is black and I don't think has teflon, is very quiet. It costs
    about ½ as much. The removable link is very easy to use.

    I usually solvent wash a chain before installing so I guess I'd wash out the PTFE immediately.

    I don't think that the Shimano 9 chains are particularly quiet and there is no difference between
    the HG72 and DA. Tje use once black installation pins are not a favority thing for me either.

    On 27 Jun 2003 14:59:56 -0700, [email protected] (Michael) wrote:

    >Well, "teflon-impregnated", which "reduces friction". Any better than a regular chain? (by regular
    >I mean good-quality like Dura Ace).

  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On 27 Jun 2003 14:59:56 -0700, [email protected] (Michael) wrote:

    >Well, "teflon-impregnated", which "reduces friction". Any better than a regular chain? (by regular
    >I mean good-quality like Dura Ace).

    I don't know about Dura-Ace but I recently removed an IRD Black Lightning Teflon chain and replaced
    it with a SRAM PC-99. I had been experiencing chain skip on a 11-34 cluster with the IRD.

    A comparison of the SRAM and IRD revealed that the SRAM is chamfered on the inner and outer plates,
    whereas the IRD is not as smoothly chamfered on the outer plates, and appears not to be chamfered at
    all on the inner plates. In addition, in spite of the teflon coating the IRD has exibited signs of
    rusting after about six months of use (with regular cleaning and lubing !)

    Now that I have the SRAM installed, the chain skip is gone, and the chain is shifting smoothly and
    error free. IMO close examination and use reveals the SRAM to be have been fabricated with better
    plating, stamping, and overall design.