irda and S720 question...

ReP0

Feb 1, 2003
I have a Polar S720i and have an IRDA connected to my PC via USB. How do you get this to work?. I changed it to run at 9600 baud based on the one Polar sells but still no go. If anyone has any experience getting this going please let me know.

Thanks!

Originally posted by ReP0
I have a Polar S720i and have an IRDA connected to my PC via USB. How do you get this to work?. I changed it to run at 9600 baud based on the one Polar sells but still no go. If anyone has any experience getting this going please let me know.

Thanks!

Mine just worked!

Try going to 'options' then 'prefences' and make sure you have the right port selected? What error message do you get?

cheers!

Originally posted by steve
Mine just worked!

Try going to 'options' then 'prefences' and make sure you have the right port selected? What error message do you get?

cheers!

Mine is set to IRDA. What happens is that on the watch in connect mode "COM" comes up and blinks however nothing else happens and the message saying couldn't establish comms comes up everntually.

check the help files in your software. it gives a step by step guide to getting connected.

I have a USBgear USB-IRda adapter, and I am having the same problem with my 720i.

The IRda adapter works fine with my Palm V, but when I try to connect my 720i in CONNECT mode, it flashes "infrared COM" for a while on the watch, then goes to the default CONNECT screen, then eventually goes to regular Watch mode. The whole time the IRda adapter is blinking, and the icon in my tray says it can see the 720i in range.

In the PPP program screen I see "Connecting to HR Monitor," and this never changes. I am using Windows XP, btw.

I have disabled Hotsync for my Palm, in case this would occupy the IR port, but it made no difference.

Anyone else have success with an aftermarket IR interface? What did you do?

Thanks,

Filhor

I have a 710. The connection with my PC is through the COM2 port and it works just fine. Initially it did not but that was becuase I was using the wrong port reference

I'm using a USB irDA interface so there is no com port, as far as I know. Were you using Polar's interface, or an aftermarket irDA adapter?

Filhor

Had the same problem with the IRDA port on my notebook. I had to buy the Polar USB IR adapter (it sounds like you are using a "generic" IRDA port). Maybe try to get a Polar Adapter.

I got the generic irDA interface because I was led to believe by Polar that the watch is irDA compatible. Polar's interface is unnecessarily bulky and ugly, and one of the supposed features of the 720i is that it is irDA compatible. Polar, is this a lie? What gives? Why make it almost irDA compatible?

Again, anyone had luck using their notebook or PC irDA port with their 710/720i? How did you do it?

I tried the Polar with a notebook at work that has a built-in IR port and it worked. But my add-on IR system still doesn't. For those of you who are using a USB-irDA system, what settings are you using in the Polar PPP program? What options do you have set in the device properties of the irDA device?

Thanks,

Filhor

Greetings, I am using the USB version with no problems. In the PPP program under preferences, on the hardware tab, it is set to USB (obviously), and under options next to that, everything is checked except for "Use internal infrared port (win95 only)" I am running Win XP Pro on a Sony laptop.
In device manager in the system settings, the PolarUSB device is listed, but there is really nothing configurable.

If you are having trouble, you may want to unplug the IR beast, uninstall the software. Re-install the software, make sure you have the latest version off the polar site, then plug the reader back in.

Good luck!
Buzz

Ok, I had so far been choosing "irDA" in the PPP Options/Preferences/Hardware area. Since I am using a USB interface irDA I now understand I should choose "USB." I have also unchecked the "USB Interface Autocheck" since I understand this is a check for the proprietary Polar USB-irDA interface, which I don't have.

Phew! Anyway, with all of those settings, when I try to initiate communication with the 720i a window comes up immediately saying that "Communication port couldn't be opened." I have tried plugging the USB-irDA adapter into several USB ports to no avail. Is it possible that there is no problem with the aftermarket USB-irDA adapter, but a problem with the PPP software? Maybe it can't see an aftermarket USB-irDA device? Any ideas?

Filhor

What version of windows are you running? Have you uninstalled the software and re-installed version 4.00.021?

If you go into Control Panel and select the System icon. Choose Hardware and device manager. Are there any red x's or yellow x's? If so, are any of them related to the USB device?

I'm running Windows XP Pro. At your suggestion I uninstalled the PPP software, reinstalled it and updated it to 4.00.021, same result: when I select USB and try to connect it says "Com port couldn't be opened."

When I look in control panel there are no red or yellow x's, and if I check the USB-irDA device it says it's working properly, and it appears to be because I can communicate with a laptop (which has successfully communicated with the 720i via it's built-in irDA port), my Kyocera cell phone, and my Palm V.

Any ideas?

OK,
Interesting update for you (maybe)

I installed one of M$oft security updates last night and re-booted. When I went to download todays rides, I got the message - surprise! "Com Port couldn't be opened"

So I looked in Device Manager, and under USB controllers, it had an unknown device, and the Polar USB device had disapeared.

I re-installed the software, still no luck. Then I went back to read the install instructions again (when all else fails), and it said to make sure you unplug the usb device before installing. When I did that, re-installed, and plugged in the Polar USB IR device - It was there in Device manager, and - It worked!

Now if the weather would just clear up, I only have 70 miles so far this week, and more rain coming! :-(

Filhor,

I am having the exact same problem as you, only my USB IrDA adapter is made by BAFO. It is encouraging that you got it to work with a notebook. What setting did you use on the notebook for "IR Communications Port?"

I sent an email to Polar requesting assistance, and I'll let you know what I hear. I agree that the "i" model Polars should work universally with IrDA.

Dave

Hi,

I believe I set the irDA to COM2 in the bios of the notebook, then it was recognized in Win2000 and communicated with my desktop using the USB-irDA device no problem. Also, the S720i would also communicate with the notebook no problem, but the 720i would not talk to the USB-irDA device.

I returned the USB-irDA and bought the Polar USB ir interface, which works fine with my desktop and the S720i, but does not act as a regular irDA interface so I cannot send files to my notebook via irDA with it.

It's all so frustrating.

Filhor