Ireland Racing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ssushi, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Ssushi

Ssushi New Member

I just started road biking after some years of mountain biking and am currently entered into the Wicklow 200. I want to start racing and am currently living in Dublin (great access to hills).

I know little about road cycling (only just found out who Lance Armstrong is) and have only been riding since Feb, and would like some adivice about what training I need, how do I know when I'm good enough to race, and any intro races in Ireland coming up.

Currently I'm doing 50km and 70km rides at the weekend and gym work mid week.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ssushi

PS Ain't road bikin' GREAT!

Tags:

2. Roche

Roche New Member

yo dude,
    Racing in Ireland should be perfect for you. Last year they brought back the 'C' racing category to encourage more people like you to get back into racing. They usually race with the Juniors Vets(over 40's) and women. The normal Sunday race would be no more than 80 kms and would often just be about 60. If you are living near the Dublin Mountains, i'd suggest joining a club out that way. Maybe Orwell Wheelers in Dundrum(Stephen Roches first club). They go out and have a laugh every week.
    As for where races are on, this weekend in Ballyboughil. Great race but maybe a bit hard for a beginner. You can go to the official cycling ireland website at www.cyclingireland.org that has the full racing calendar OR the best source of information is at www.irishcycling.com There is information on clubs and stuff there.
    Happy racing,
    BA.

ps. Do you realise the suffering involved in this bloody sport??? its not too late not to bother!