Ireland's Lower Speed Limits

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Heard on Radio Four this moring that ROI has now converted all speed
    limit signs to Km/h. The resulting approximation and rounding from the
    previous mile/h has lowered speed limits.

    Good or bad?

    Somebody, I cannot remember who or what he was, complained that
    motorists would be confused when travelling over the border from
    Northern Ireland.

    He also said that drivers would need to look at the speedometer more
    often.

    Excellent, I say.

    --
    Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
    you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.

    Tags:

  2. > Heard on Radio Four this moring that ROI has now converted all speed
    > limit signs to Km/h. The resulting approximation and rounding from the
    > previous mile/h has lowered speed limits.
    >
    > Good or bad?

    Bad for motorists who /really need/ to get there a minute or so earlier,
    good for everyone else. Probably slightly annoying for a few days before
    you get used to driving at the slightly lower speed.

    Be interesting to see what effect the minor drop in speed limits has on KSI
    figures. Probably be lost in the random noise, but hey ho.

  3. "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Heard on Radio Four this moring that ROI has now converted all speed
    > limit signs to Km/h. The resulting approximation and rounding from the
    > previous mile/h has lowered speed limits.

    The speed limits officially change on Wednesday night at midnight.

    Not all of the speed limits have been lowered. A few have been raised.

    The default speeds for towns and villages etc. will be 50kph (31.1mph)
    for national roads it will be 100kph (62.1mph)
    For motorways (and some national dual carriageway roads) 120kph (74.6mph)

    Other limits may be reduced
    On regional and local roads - the default limit will be cut from 60mph to
    80kph (49.7mph)
    current 50mph limits will become 80kph (49.7mph)
    current 40mph limits will become 60kph (37.3mph)

  4. "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Heard on Radio Four this moring that ROI has now converted all speed
    > limit signs to Km/h. The resulting approximation and rounding from the
    > previous mile/h has *some* lowered speed limits.

    My emphasis - IIRC limits on N and R roads have lowered, whilst limits on
    motorways have been raised.

    > Good or bad?

    From what I gather from people's experiences of driving in the ROI, the
    changes seem reasonable.

    > Somebody, I cannot remember who or what he was, complained that
    > motorists would be confused when travelling over the border from
    > Northern Ireland.

    No more so than when crossing any other border - one should be expected to
    know the laws of the land one is in.

    > He also said that drivers would need to look at the speedometer more
    > often.
    >
    > Excellent, I say.

    TBH, I think you are massively missing the point - from what I gather the
    ROI change is simply to change speed limits to km/h - and nothing more.

  5. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:cshl96$1ha$1
    @wisteria.csv.warwick.ac.uk:

    > TBH, I think you are massively missing the point - from what I gather the
    > ROI change is simply to change speed limits to km/h - and nothing more.

    And another point missed is how good are people at keeping at or below the
    speed limits anyway? Many people drive at what *feels* like the right speed
    after a brief glance at their speedo, "Right, I'm going 50 at the moment
    and it feels like this. I don't need to look at that thing with numbers and
    that pointy bit again." (not necessarily a conscious decision). Never mind
    the fact that their speed will often creep upwards fairly rapidly :-/

    Graeme

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Nathaniel Porter
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > TBH, I think you are massively missing the point - from what I gather
    > the ROI change is simply to change speed limits to km/h - and nothing
    > more.

    'Tis you who are missing the point: 60mph limits are being converted to
    80Km/h limits, a 17% reduction in speed.

    ;; All in all you're just another hick in the mall
    -- Drink C'lloid

  7. "Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:cshl96$1ha$1
    > @wisteria.csv.warwick.ac.uk:
    >
    > > TBH, I think you are massively missing the point - from what I gather

    the
    > > ROI change is simply to change speed limits to km/h - and nothing more.
    > >

    > And another point missed is how good are people at keeping at or below the
    > speed limits anyway? Many people drive at what *feels* like the right

    speed
    > after a brief glance at their speedo, "Right, I'm going 50 at the moment
    > and it feels like this. I don't need to look at that thing with numbers

    and
    > that pointy bit again." (not necessarily a conscious decision). Never mind
    > the fact that their speed will often creep upwards fairly rapidly :-/
    >
    > Graeme

    And not one of you will speed in this group when in charge of a proper mode
    of transport, eh?

  8. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Lance Armstrong wrote:

    > And not one of you will speed in this group when in charge of a
    > proper mode of transport, eh?

    There seems to be some confusion. In the UK the speed limit does not
    apply to proper modes of transport, only to motor vehicles.
    --
    Dave...

  9. Richard Bates <[email protected]> writes:

    > Heard on Radio Four this moring that ROI has now converted all speed
    > limit signs to Km/h. The resulting approximation and rounding from the
    > previous mile/h has lowered speed limits.

    Only one major limit changes down in any substantial way: R-roads
    (equiv to B-roads) go from 60mph to 80km/h. Urban 30mph actually
    rises marginally to 50km/h, and motorways rise from 70mph to
    120km/h.

    Actually happens tomorrow night.

    Brendan
    --
    Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
    Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

  10. njf>badger

    njf>badger Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:

    > Heard on Radio Four this moring that ROI has now converted all speed
    > limit signs to Km/h.
    >
    > He also said that drivers would need to look at the speedometer more
    > often.
    >
    > Excellent, I say.

    Humm, a disaster more likely, looking at a speedo and trying to check
    the speed against the new limits whilst driving. Driver awareness is bad
    enough at the best of times, but each look down away from the road is
    bad enough, let alone trying to work out which point on which scale on a
    speedo as well, means more time to miss and register someone else on the
    road.

  11. njf>badger

    njf>badger Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:

    > Heard on Radio Four this moring that ROI has now converted all speed
    > limit signs to Km/h.
    >
    > He also said that drivers would need to look at the speedometer more
    > often.
    >
    > Excellent, I say.

    Humm, a disaster more likely, looking at a speedo and trying to check
    the speed against the new limits whilst driving. Driver awareness is bad
    enough at the best of times, but each look down away from the road is
    bad enough, let alone trying to work out which point on which scale on a
    speedo as well, means more time to miss and register someone else on the
    road.

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    njf>badger< wrote:

    > Humm, a disaster more likely, looking at a speedo and trying to check
    > the speed against the new limits whilst driving.

    This wouldn't be a problem if more people didn't regard limits as
    targets to sit at...

    As it is, in the longer term the speeds should (/if/ enforced) come
    down, plus it possibly brings forward the day when Britain joins the
    rest of the civilized world in having a single measurement system in use.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  13. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    njf>badger< wrote:

    > Humm, a disaster more likely, looking at a speedo and trying to check
    > the speed against the new limits whilst driving.

    This wouldn't be a problem if more people didn't regard limits as
    targets to sit at...

    As it is, in the longer term the speeds should (/if/ enforced) come
    down, plus it possibly brings forward the day when Britain joins the
    rest of the civilized world in having a single measurement system in use.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  14. "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > in message <[email protected]>, Nathaniel Porter
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > TBH, I think you are massively missing the point - from what I gather
    > > the ROI change is simply to change speed limits to km/h - and nothing
    > > more.

    > 'Tis you who are missing the point: 60mph limits are being converted to
    > 80Km/h limits, a 17% reduction in speed.

    And they go up slightly on N roads and motorways, as well as in towns. There
    is some window dressing regarding the slightly lower limit on R roads the
    slightly higher limits on motorways, and the provision for new 30km/h
    areas - but the purpose of the change is simply to change the units used for
    speed limits, to bring them more into line with Europe, and other signs in
    Ireland which have used metric since the 1970s.

    news:p[email protected]

  16. njf>badger< wrote:

    > Richard Bates wrote:
    >
    >> Heard on Radio Four this moring that ROI has now converted all speed
    >> limit signs to Km/h.
    >> He also said that drivers would need to look at the speedometer more
    >> often.
    >>
    >> Excellent, I say.

    > Humm, a disaster more likely, looking at a speedo and trying to check
    > the speed against the new limits whilst driving. Driver awareness is
    > bad enough at the best of times, but each look down away from the road
    > is bad enough, let alone trying to work out which point on which scale
    > on a speedo as well, means more time to miss and register someone else
    > on the road.

    Nah, that's part of the so-called 'safespeed' perpetual argument against
    speed cameras, and it's a lot of tosh. As someone else said, the only
    significant change is the one from 60mph to 80kph. Anyone who is
    capable of receiving clue should quickly be able to adjust. It
    shouldn't take more than one or two glances at the speedo at first
    encounter with the 80kph limit to determine what it 'looks like' as you
    pass through your surroundings. After that you look at your
    surroundings and drive by 'feel'. I drove my last car for about three
    years without any speedo at all as it was broken when I bought it, and
    never got a ticket, nor held anyone up worrying about whether I might
    not be going over, including occasionally driving past the inevitable
    speed cameras. It's not difficult to get a 'feel' for speed and take
    your clues from the surroundings.

    Rich

  19. > Richard Bates wrote:

    >> Heard on Radio Four this moring that ROI has now converted all speed
    >> limit signs to Km/h.
    >>
    >> He also said that drivers would need to look at the speedometer more
    >> often.
    >>
    >> Excellent, I say.

    > Humm, a disaster more likely, looking at a speedo and trying to check
    > the speed against the new limits whilst driving. Driver awareness is
    > bad enough at the best of times, but each look down away from the
    > road is bad enough, let alone trying to work out which point on which
    > scale on a speedo as well, means more time to miss and register
    > someone else on the road.

    Of course, this is in a country were speed cameras are very rare, penalty
    points less than 2 years old, and you only get two points out of twelve for
    drink driving.

    So there's not a huge worry in drivers about being caught speeding.