Irish Soda Bread



B

bistoury

Guest
Any recipes for Irish Soda Bread that has almond and currents in it. Thanks
 
D

Doug Cutler

Guest
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any recipes for Irish Soda Bread that has almond and currents in it. Thanks
>
HI, Here is what I use, although I think the origional called for currents I prefer golden
raisins, not tried almonds, though I don't see why they could not be added or placed on top of the
loaves. Doug

* Exported from MasterCook *

Irish Soda Bread

Recipe By : Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Breads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 c Flour 1 tsp Salt 3 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda
1/4 c sugar
2/2 stick butter 1 egg 1 1/2 c butter milk
3/4 lb golden raisins

Combine in large bowl, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Beat egg slightly with
butter milk and blend into dry ingedients. Kneed well then kneed in raisins. Divide into 2 loaves.
Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 mins.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
B

bistoury

Guest
Thanks that is the recipe. When I saw the buttermilk I recognized it. With St. Patrick's Day
approaching I know we will be making hundreds of loaves. McRae

Doug Cutler wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Any recipes for Irish Soda Bread that has almond and currents in it. Thanks
>>
>
> HI, Here is what I use, although I think the origional called for currents I prefer golden
> raisins, not tried almonds, though I don't see why they could not be added or placed on top of the
> loaves. Doug
>
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Irish Soda Bread
>
> Recipe By : Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Breads
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 4 c Flour 1 tsp Salt 3 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda
> 1/4 c sugar
> 1/2 stick butter 1 egg 1 1/2 c butter milk
> 3/4 lb golden raisins
>
> Combine in large bowl, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Beat egg slightly with
> butter milk and blend into dry ingedients. Kneed well then kneed in raisins. Divide into 2 loaves.
> Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 mins.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>
 
W

Wayne Boatwrigh

Guest
[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Thanks that is the recipe. When I saw the buttermilk I recognized it. With St. Patrick's Day
> approaching I know we will be making hundreds of loaves. McRae

Hundreds? Wow! I can't imagine attempting that in my kitchen.

This is a particularly good sounding soda bread recipe and I plan to bake it soon. That said,
however, buttermilk is as common in Irish soda bread as salt is on French fries. In fact, I don't
think I've ever seen a recipe that didn't have it.

If you don't also recognize most of the other ingredients and the proportions, it's a WAG as to
whether *this* is the recipe you had before. I've no doubt that you'll enjoy this one, though.

Wayne
 
B

bistoury

Guest
I will give it a thorough try before I bake over 100 of them. I do use slivered, chopped almonds and
currents. IT is so very good that even this Frenchman can do it. Pauli

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>
>>Thanks that is the recipe. When I saw the buttermilk I recognized it. With St. Patrick's Day
>>approaching I know we will be making hundreds of loaves. McRae
>
>
> Hundreds? Wow! I can't imagine attempting that in my kitchen.
>
> This is a particularly good sounding soda bread recipe and I plan to bake it soon. That said,
> however, buttermilk is as common in Irish soda bread as salt is on French fries. In fact, I don't
> think I've ever seen a recipe that didn't have it.
>
> If you don't also recognize most of the other ingredients and the proportions, it's a WAG as to
> whether *this* is the recipe you had before. I've no doubt that you'll enjoy this one, though.
>
> Wayne
 
W

Wayne Boatwrigh

Guest
[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I will give it a thorough try before I bake over 100 of them. I do use slivered, chopped almonds
> and currents. IT is so very good that even this Frenchman can do it. Pauli

The addition of the almonds sounds good. Curiosity is killing me, though. What on earth are you
going to do with over 100 of them? Commercial venture? Enjoy!

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:
>>
>>
>>>Thanks that is the recipe. When I saw the buttermilk I recognized it. With St. Patrick's Day
>>>approaching I know we will be making hundreds of loaves. McRae
>>
>>
>> Hundreds? Wow! I can't imagine attempting that in my kitchen.
>>
>> This is a particularly good sounding soda bread recipe and I plan to bake it soon. That said,
>> however, buttermilk is as common in Irish soda bread as salt is on French fries. In fact, I don't
>> think I've ever seen a recipe that didn't have it.
>>
>> If you don't also recognize most of the other ingredients and the proportions, it's a WAG as to
>> whether *this* is the recipe you had before. I've no doubt that you'll enjoy this one, though.
>>
>> Wayne
 
B

bistoury

Guest
A happy party for my office of dedicated promotions people. This will be part of the breakfast with
many other goodies. Pauli

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>
>>I will give it a thorough try before I bake over 100 of them. I do use slivered, chopped almonds
>>and currents. IT is so very good that even this Frenchman can do it. Pauli
>
>
> The addition of the almonds sounds good. Curiosity is killing me, though. What on earth are you
> going to do with over 100 of them? Commercial venture? Enjoy!
>
>
>
>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>
>>>[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Thanks that is the recipe. When I saw the buttermilk I recognized it. With St. Patrick's Day
>>>>approaching I know we will be making hundreds of loaves. McRae
>>>
>>>
>>>Hundreds? Wow! I can't imagine attempting that in my kitchen.
>>>
>>>This is a particularly good sounding soda bread recipe and I plan to bake it soon. That said,
>>>however, buttermilk is as common in Irish soda bread as salt is on French fries. In fact, I don't
>>>think I've ever seen a recipe that didn't have it.
>>>
>>>If you don't also recognize most of the other ingredients and the proportions, it's a WAG as to
>>>whether *this* is the recipe you had before. I've no doubt that you'll enjoy this one, though.
>>>
>>>Wayne
>>
>