Irish Soda Bread

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by bistoury, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    Any recipes for Irish Soda Bread that has almond and currents in it. Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Doug Cutler

    Doug Cutler Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any recipes for Irish Soda Bread that has almond and currents in it. Thanks

    HI, Here is what I use, although I think the origional called for currents I prefer golden
    raisins, not tried almonds, though I don't see why they could not be added or placed on top of the
    loaves. Doug

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Irish Soda Bread

    Recipe By : Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Breads

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 c Flour 1 tsp Salt 3 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 c sugar
    2/2 stick butter 1 egg 1 1/2 c butter milk
    3/4 lb golden raisins

    Combine in large bowl, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Beat egg slightly with
    butter milk and blend into dry ingedients. Kneed well then kneed in raisins. Divide into 2 loaves.
    Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 mins.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  3. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    Thanks that is the recipe. When I saw the buttermilk I recognized it. With St. Patrick's Day
    approaching I know we will be making hundreds of loaves. McRae

    Doug Cutler wrote:

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Any recipes for Irish Soda Bread that has almond and currents in it. Thanks
    >>

    > HI, Here is what I use, although I think the origional called for currents I prefer golden
    > raisins, not tried almonds, though I don't see why they could not be added or placed on top of the
    > loaves. Doug
    >

    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Irish Soda Bread
    >
    > Recipe By : Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Breads
    >
    > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    > 4 c Flour 1 tsp Salt 3 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda
    > 1/4 c sugar
    > 1/2 stick butter 1 egg 1 1/2 c butter milk
    > 3/4 lb golden raisins
    >
    > Combine in large bowl, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Beat egg slightly with
    > butter milk and blend into dry ingedients. Kneed well then kneed in raisins. Divide into 2 loaves.
    > Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 mins.
    >
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  4. [email protected] wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Thanks that is the recipe. When I saw the buttermilk I recognized it. With St. Patrick's Day
    > approaching I know we will be making hundreds of loaves. McRae

    Hundreds? Wow! I can't imagine attempting that in my kitchen.

    This is a particularly good sounding soda bread recipe and I plan to bake it soon. That said,
    however, buttermilk is as common in Irish soda bread as salt is on French fries. In fact, I don't
    think I've ever seen a recipe that didn't have it.

    If you don't also recognize most of the other ingredients and the proportions, it's a WAG as to
    whether *this* is the recipe you had before. I've no doubt that you'll enjoy this one, though.

    Wayne

  5. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    I will give it a thorough try before I bake over 100 of them. I do use slivered, chopped almonds and
    currents. IT is so very good that even this Frenchman can do it. Pauli

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >

    >>Thanks that is the recipe. When I saw the buttermilk I recognized it. With St. Patrick's Day
    >>approaching I know we will be making hundreds of loaves. McRae
    >

    > Hundreds? Wow! I can't imagine attempting that in my kitchen.
    >
    > This is a particularly good sounding soda bread recipe and I plan to bake it soon. That said,
    > however, buttermilk is as common in Irish soda bread as salt is on French fries. In fact, I don't
    > think I've ever seen a recipe that didn't have it.
    >
    > If you don't also recognize most of the other ingredients and the proportions, it's a WAG as to
    > whether *this* is the recipe you had before. I've no doubt that you'll enjoy this one, though.
    >
    > Wayne

  6. [email protected] wrote in
    news:zMiV[email protected]:

    > I will give it a thorough try before I bake over 100 of them. I do use slivered, chopped almonds
    > and currents. IT is so very good that even this Frenchman can do it. Pauli

    The addition of the almonds sounds good. Curiosity is killing me, though. What on earth are you
    going to do with over 100 of them? Commercial venture? Enjoy!

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    >> [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >>

    >>>Thanks that is the recipe. When I saw the buttermilk I recognized it. With St. Patrick's Day
    >>>approaching I know we will be making hundreds of loaves. McRae
    >>

    >> Hundreds? Wow! I can't imagine attempting that in my kitchen.
    >>
    >> This is a particularly good sounding soda bread recipe and I plan to bake it soon. That said,
    >> however, buttermilk is as common in Irish soda bread as salt is on French fries. In fact, I don't
    >> think I've ever seen a recipe that didn't have it.
    >>
    >> If you don't also recognize most of the other ingredients and the proportions, it's a WAG as to
    >> whether *this* is the recipe you had before. I've no doubt that you'll enjoy this one, though.
    >>
    >> Wayne

  7. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    A happy party for my office of dedicated promotions people. This will be part of the breakfast with
    many other goodies. Pauli