iroman Hawaii, Ironman World Champs this weekend!

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Mark Cathcart, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Its interesting to note that its Hawaii this weekend, and there has hardly been any discussion on
    the tri forums/ngs where I hang out about the elite race and competitors. Whats the concensus here ?

    Is Hawaii no longer as interesting for armchair triathletes ? Is this year a weak field for the
    elites, no real rivalries ? Or is the result a fore gone conclusion and not worth discussing ?

    Who do you think will win the mens and womens elite races and any from your club get an entry and
    how do you expect them to do ?

    ++Mark.

    Tags:

  2. Pmcdc

    Pmcdc Guest

    interesting comment. i'm over here, bags and bike turned in, resting up for tomorrow morning---and,
    hence, checking r.s.t. lots and lots of pros here, along with all the rest of us, and who wins the
    pro races hasn't been much of a subject of conversation where i've been. the discussion always
    seems to be much more personal: are you ready? bike going well? how do you feel? ----that sort of
    thing. peggy

  3. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    Where can I folow the race in Europe: web, television etc? So far I did not find a thing, except
    www.ironmanlive.com. I hope there is more te find. Let me (us) know. Bernard

  4. [email protected] (PMcDC) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > interesting comment. i'm over here, bags and bike turned in, resting up for tomorrow
    > morning---and, hence, checking r.s.t. lots and lots of pros here, along with all the rest of us,
    > and who wins the pro races hasn't been much of a subject of conversation where i've been. the
    > discussion always seems to be much more personal: are you ready? bike going well? how do you feel?
    > ----that sort of thing. peggy

    Good luck! Enjoy Ali (sp?) Drive!

  5. Mike Conway

    Mike Conway Guest

    Last year, Ironmanlive.com did a pretty good job with live video from the race; we'll see what
    happens this year....

    Mike C

  6. [email protected] (Mike Conway) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Last year, Ironmanlive.com did a pretty good job with live video from the race; we'll see what
    > happens this year....
    >
    > Mike C

    >>Where can I folow the race in Europe: web, television etc? So far I did not find a thing, except
    >>www.ironmanlive.com. I hope there is more te find. Let me (us) know. Bernard

    Any idea how long before the race start the coverage will begin? Les than an hour to go by my watch
    and still no live video...

  7. [email protected] (Mike Conway) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Last year, Ironmanlive.com did a pretty good job with live video from the race; we'll see what
    > happens this year....

    Great quality video and fairly professional cverage so far, 7 minutes to start

  8. [email protected] (Mike Conway) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Last year, Ironmanlive.com did a pretty good job with live video from the race; we'll see what
    > happens this year....

    There's a chance of a new swim record, based on the time at the turn...

  9. [email protected] (Mike Conway) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Last year, Ironmanlive.com did a pretty good job with live video from the race; we'll see what
    > happens this year....
    >
    > Mike C

    >>Where can I folow the race in Europe: web, television etc? So far I did not find a thing, except
    >>www.ironmanlive.com. I hope there is more te find. Let me (us) know. Bernard

    1st swimmer, Sibbersen, is out of water.

  10. Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Any idea how long before the race start the coverage will begin? Les than an hour to go by my
    > watch and still no live video...

    The audio just kicked in, they are getting folks in the water!

  11. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:48:17 GMT, Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] (Mike Conway) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Last year, Ironmanlive.com did a pretty good job with live video from the race; we'll see what
    >> happens this year....
    >>
    >> Mike C

    >>>Where can I folow the race in Europe: web, television etc? So far I did not find a thing, except
    >>>www.ironmanlive.com. I hope there is more te find. Let me (us) know. Bernard
    >>

    >1st swimmer, Sibbersen, is out of water.

    Are you still getting good video. Mine keeps cutting out.

  12. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:48:17 GMT, Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] (Mike Conway) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Last year, Ironmanlive.com did a pretty good job with live video from the race; we'll see what
    >> happens this year....
    >>
    >> Mike C

    >>>Where can I folow the race in Europe: web, television etc? So far I did not find a thing, except
    >>>www.ironmanlive.com. I hope there is more te find. Let me (us) know. Bernard
    >>

    >1st swimmer, Sibbersen, is out of water.

    Not even getting video now. Just a Ironman Kona Splash Screen.

    ~Matt

  13. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:48:17 GMT, Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] (Mike Conway) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Last year, Ironmanlive.com did a pretty good job with live video from the race; we'll see what
    >> happens this year....
    >>
    >> Mike C

    >>>Where can I folow the race in Europe: web, television etc? So far I did not find a thing, except
    >>>www.ironmanlive.com. I hope there is more te find. Let me (us) know. Bernard
    >>

    >1st swimmer, Sibbersen, is out of water.

    The commercials come thru fine though.

    ~Matt

  14. [email protected] (MJuric) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Not even getting video now. Just a Ironman Kona Splash Screen.
    >
    > ~Matt

    Was out at my son's soccer game. Just got back and am having the same results here. Audio and an
    Ironman splash screen.

  15. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Though Lori and Peter won there was no mention of them being husband and wife ... this has been a
    big deal in the apst - I have I missed something here?

  16. [email protected] (Mike) wrote in news:aaeef570.0310181907.4b166397 @posting.google.com:

    > Though Lori and Peter won there was no mention of them being husband and wife ... this has been a
    > big deal in the apst - I have I missed something here?

    You beat me to the question. I thought it was so strange that it wasn't mentioned at all.

    I missed some of the key events, like the women's battle in the run, which sounds like it was great!
    Dare I hope for some decent coverage by NBC? I noticed that they're splitting their coverage into
    two shows, a "pre show" and a race show. Perhaps the pre sow will have all of the "up close and
    personal" stuff with the race show being more sport-centric? Don't know if that's what they're
    doing, but I kinda like the idea.

  17. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:07:17 GMT, Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> [email protected] (MJuric) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >>> Not even getting video now. Just a Ironman Kona Splash Screen.
    >>>
    >>> ~Matt
    >>>

    >> Was out at my son's soccer game. Just got back and am having the same results here. Audio and an
    >> Ironman splash screen.
    >
    >Video is back but somewhat choppy.

    They mentioned they will be having video problems due to the mountain being in the way. They
    said they usually have this problem every year.

    ~Matt

  18. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:29:53 GMT, Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] (Mike) wrote in news:aaeef570.0310181907.4b166397 @posting.google.com:
    >
    >> Though Lori and Peter won there was no mention of them being husband and wife ... this has been a
    >> big deal in the apst - I have I missed something here?
    >>

    >You beat me to the question. I thought it was so strange that it wasn't mentioned at all.
    >
    >I missed some of the key events, like the women's battle in the run, which sounds like it
    >was great!

    It was very "bizarre". Bowden was obviously running 10-15 sec faster per mile at a steady
    pace. She came up on Kraft ended up shoulder to shoulder adn Kraft took off. Although I'm
    sure it wasn't, it looked almost like a sprint. She'd open a 10-15 yd gap and slow down.
    Bowden woudl hold her pace and eventually catch up to her. This repeated for what appeared
    to be 1/2mi to a mi with Kraft sprinting everytime boweden caught up. At one time Bowden
    caught her and Kraft started talking to her can't remeber if that was the time she tried to
    sprint or not. It was really strange especially considering that this all took place around
    the 12-13 mile marker.

    ~Matt