iron deficiency anemia / Helicobacter pylori infection

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    <<snip>> eradication of the infection may improve blood
    parameters <<snip>>

    Hepatogastroenterology. 2004 Jan-Feb;51(55):313-5. Links

    Improvement of complete blood count in patients with iron
    deficiency anemia and Helicobacter pylori infection after
    the eradication of Helicobacter pylori.

    Hacihanefioglu A, Edebali F, Celebi A, Karakaya T, Senturk
    O, Hulagu S.

    Department of Hematology, University of Kocaeli Medical
    School, Sopali, Kocaeli, Turkey.

    BACKGROUND/AIMS: Recent reports support the possible
    association between Hp infection and iron deficiency anemia.
    In the present study, the effects of the eradication therapy
    on iron deficiency anemia were investigated. METHODOLOGY:
    Fourteen women with iron deficiency anemia were enrolled
    (mean age: 36.4 years; range: 20-52 years old). None of the
    patients received iron supplementation. Several examinations
    including upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy were
    performed to reveal any gastrointestinal bleeding sites in
    all patients. Gastric biopsies during endoscopy were taken
    from the subjects except one whose serum anti-Hp IgG was
    positive. After diagnosing the Hp infection by means of
    microbiology, histology and Gram stain, a combination
    therapy consisting of lansoprosol, clarithromycin and
    amoxicillin was administered to each patient. Hematologic
    examinations and the body iron status were evaluated
    periodically, following the eradication therapy. RESULTS:
    Endoscopic findings were as follows: Seven patients with
    antral gastritis, two patients with pangastritis, whereas
    five patients were found to be endoscopically normal. None
    of the subjects were found to have gastrointestinal bleeding
    of any type. Serum hemoglobin, iron and transferrin
    saturations of the patients were found to be increased at
    20-24 weeks of follow-up after the eradication therapy.
    Serum ferritin levels were not found to be increased.
    CONCLUSIONS: Hp infection may be involved in cases of iron
    deficiency anemia of unknown origin, and the eradication of
    the infection may improve blood parameters other than serum
    ferritin levels.

    PMID: 15011892 [PubMed - in process]

    --------------
    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote
    > ...................snip............................CONCLU-
    > SIONS: Hp
    infection may
    > be involved in cases of iron deficiency anemia of unknown
    > origin, and the eradication of the infection may improve
    > blood parameters other than serum ferritin levels.
    H. Pylori infection lowers stomach acid, which is one well-
    known cause of insufficient iron uptake, and which in
    turn can lead to iron deficieny anemia. Nothing new or
    surprising here.

  3. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    > "doe" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > ...................snip............................CONC-
    > > LUSIONS: Hp
    > infection may
    > > be involved in cases of iron deficiency anemia of
    > > unknown origin, and
    the
    > > eradication of the infection may improve blood
    > > parameters other than
    serum
    > > ferritin levels.
    > H. Pylori infection lowers stomach acid, which is one well-
    > known cause of insufficient iron uptake, and which in
    > turn can lead to iron deficieny anemia. Nothing new or
    > surprising here.

    Another own goal there !

  4. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: iron deficiency anemia / Helicobacter pylori infection

    >Date: 3/12/2004 3:40 PM Mountain Standard Time Message-id:
    ><[email protected]>
    >
    >"doe" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> ...................snip............................CONCL-
    >> USIONS: Hp
    >infection may
    >> be involved in cases of iron deficiency anemia of unknown
    >> origin, and the eradication of the infection may improve
    >> blood parameters other than serum ferritin levels.
    >H. Pylori infection lowers stomach acid, which is one well-
    > known cause of insufficient iron uptake, and which in
    > turn can lead to iron deficieny anemia. Nothing new or
    > surprising here.

    I would tend to believe .. since .. the ferritin .. DIDN'T
    FRIGGIN CHANGE .. then the iron IS .. there .. already ..
    and is being withheld .. and iron 'deficiency' .. doesn't
    .. exist ..

    But of course .. the iron withholding mechanism .. immune
    system at work .. doesn't 'come into play' IN ..
    Helicobacter pylori infection .. eh ..

    Paradox .. eh ..

    For sure ..

    No iron deficiency exists .. the iron is being withheld ..
    thus .. 'apparent' .. anemia ..

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I would tend to believe .. since .. the ferritin .. DIDN'T
    > FRIGGIN CHANGE
    ..
    > then the iron IS .. there .. already .. and is being
    > withheld .. and iron 'deficiency' .. doesn't .. exist ..
    >
    > But of course .. the iron withholding mechanism .. immune
    > system at work
    ..
    > doesn't 'come into play' IN .. Helicobacter pylori
    > infection .. eh ..
    >
    > Paradox .. eh ..
    ... No paradox here. It's your interpretation of the
    parameters (types of measurements) used. Can't evaluate
    ferritin without any numbers given.

  6. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    > "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I would tend to believe .. since .. the ferritin ..
    > > DIDN'T FRIGGIN
    CHANGE
    > ..
    > > then the iron IS .. there .. already .. and is being
    > > withheld .. and
    iron
    > > 'deficiency' .. doesn't .. exist ..
    > >
    > > But of course .. the iron withholding mechanism ..
    > > immune system at work
    > ..
    > > doesn't 'come into play' IN .. Helicobacter pylori
    > > infection .. eh ..
    > >
    > > Paradox .. eh ..
    > ... No paradox here. It's your interpretation of the
    > parameters (types of measurements) used. Can't evaluate
    > ferritin without any numbers given.

    Oh, don't worry, he can !

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Manky Badger" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Oh, don't worry, he can !
    ... Right you are, considering his agenda...