iron deficiency anemia = no diabetes

Doe

Guest
Diabetes Care. 2004 Mar;27(3):650-6. Links

Impact of iron deficiency anemia on prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus.

Lao TT, Ho LF.

Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China. University of Hong
Kong, Hong Kong, China.

OBJECTIVE:-Increased Hb and ferritin have been associated with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM).
This study was performed to determine whether the prevalence of GDM is influenced by iron deficiency
anemia. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS-In a retrospective case-control study, 242 women with iron
deficiency anemia (Hb <10 g/dl with features of iron deficiency) were compared with 484 nonanemic
women matched for year of birth, who were delivered within the same 24-month period in our hospital,
with respect to maternal demographics, infant outcome, and the prevalence of GDM diagnosed according
to the World Health Organization criteria. RESULTS:-There was no difference in the prepregnancy
weight or BMI, but the anemic group had more multiparas and significantly lower gestational weight
and BMI increments and prevalence of GDM (odds ratio [OR] .52, 95% CI 0.27-0.97), which was
inversely correlated (P = 0.045) with the duration of anemia. To determine the independent effect of
anemia on GDM, multiple logistic regression analysis was performed adjusting for the effects of
multiparity and BMI, and anemia was confirmed to be significantly associated with decreased
prevalence of GDM (adjusted OR 0.46, 95% CI 0.23-0.90). CONCLUSIONS:-The prevalence of GDM is
reduced in iron deficiency anemia, which probably served as a surrogate for other factors such as
nutritional inadequacy and reduced gestational weight gain. Further studies on the relationship
between nutritional improvement and the increasing prevalence of GDM in the developing world are
warranted.

PMID: 14988280 [PubMed - in process]

------

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Diabetes Care. 2004 Mar;27(3):650-6. Links
>

> Impact of iron deficiency anemia on prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus.

OK Tom - so what's your point?

You are seriously advocating the deliberate imposition of a serious condition with long term effects
on ALL pregnant women & their unborn babies to ameliorate a transient manageable condition in a
vanishingly small percentage of pregnant women ?

Tom, here is the point to ponder:

"CONCLUSIONS:-The prevalence of GDM is reduced in iron deficiency anemia, which probably served as a
surrogate for other factors such as nutritional inadequacy and reduced gestational weight gain.
Further studies on the relationship between nutritional improvement and the increasing prevalence of
GDM in the developing world are warranted."

So, mothers to be who are malnurished and iron anemic have less, not none bty, gdm. I n india, a
mostly veggie consuming country, there is a serious problem with iron amenia and the world's highest
rate of diabetes in the general population, not just mothers to be. How are we to understand this?

Serious .. ? Get .. serious .. Learn your **** ..

>condition with long term effects on ALL pregnant women & their unborn babies to ameliorate a
>transient manageable condition in a vanishingly small percentage of pregnant women ?

Haematologia (Budap) 1993;25(2):69-84

Adequate iron stores and the 'Nil nocere' principle.

Hollan S, Johansen KS National Institute of Haematology, Blood Transfusion and Immunology, Budapest.

There is a need to change the policy of unselective iron supplementation during periods of life with
physiologically increased cell proliferation.

Levels of iron stores to be regarded as adequate during infancy and pregnancy are still not well
established.

Recent data support the view that it is not justified to interfere with physiological adaptations
developed through millions of years by sophisticated and precisely coordinated regulation of iron
absorption, utilization and storage.

Recent data suggest that the chelatable intracellular iron pool regulates the expression of proteins
with central importance in cellular iron metabolism (TfR, ferritin, and erythroid 5-aminolevulinic
synthetase) in a coordinately controlled way through an iron dependent cytosolic mRNA binding
protein, the iron regulating factor (IRF).

This factor is simultaneously a sensor and a regulator of iron levels.

The reduction of ferritin levels during highly increased cell proliferation is a mirror of the
increased density of TfRs.

An abundance of data support the vigorous competition for growth-essential iron between microbial
pathogens and their vertebrate hosts.

The highly coordinated regulation of iron metabolism is probably crucial in achieving a balance
between the blockade of readily accessible iron to invading organisms and yet providing sufficient
iron for the immune system of the host.

The most evident adverse clinical effects of excess iron have been observed in immunodeficient
patients in tropical countries and in AIDS patients.

Excess iron also increases the risk of initiation and promotion of malignant processes by iron
binding to DNA and by the iron-catalysed release of free radicals.

Oxygen radicals were shown to damage critical biomolecules leading, apart from cancer, to a variety
of human disease states, including inflammation and atherosclerosis.

They are also involved in processes of aging and thrombosis.

Recent clinical trials have suggested that the use of iron-chelators, natural and synthetic
antioxidants, and anti-TfR monoclonal antibodies can contribute in retarding malignant cell
proliferation.

Hypoferraemia during pregnancy is--like haemodilution--an adaptation to the risks involved in the
natural hypercoagulable state of pregnancy.

It may also serve to prevent the risk of infections and mutagenicity in the highly proliferating
tissues of the foetus.

Blunted erythropoiesis has been revealed during the first 30 weeks of pregnancy by the use of the
newly developed method of determining the soluble serum transferrin receptor.

The lack of increase in erythropoietin levels proves that there is no hypoxia.

Decreases in Hb and iron levels are parts of a physiological adaptation.

As a consequence they should neither be treated nor prevented.

It is stressed that whenever a widespread and ingrained routine medical intervention has to be
changed it is essential to first monitor the potential health effects of the recommended change in a
national policy.

Publication Types:

Review Review, tutorial PMID: 8244202, UI: 94063698

Who loves ya. Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

> Re: iron deficiency anemia = no diabetes
>
> From: [email protected] (doe) Reply to: doe Date: 29 Feb 2004 04:10:48 GMT Organization:
> AOL Canada http://www.aol.ca Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Tom, here is the central point to considr:

"Recent data support the view that it is not justified to interfere with physiological adaptations
developed through millions of years by sophisticated and precisely coordinated regulation of iron
absorption, utilization and storage."> Followup to: newsgroup > References: >
<[email protected]> >>Subject: Re: iron deficiency anemia
= no diabetes > >>You are seriously advocating the deliberate imposition
of a serious > > >Serious .. ? >Get .. serious .. >Learn your **** .. >
>>condition with long term effects on ALL pregnant women & their unborn
babies >>to ameliorate a transient manageable condition in a vanishingly small >>percentage of
pregnant women ? > >Haematologia (Budap) 1993;25(2):69-84 > > >Adequate iron stores and the 'Nil
> [...]
the risk of infections and mutagenicity in the >highly proliferating tissues of the foetus. >
>Blunted erythropoiesis has been revealed during the first 30 weeks of pregnancy >by the use of the
newly developed method of determining the soluble serum >transferrin receptor. > >The lack of
increase in erythropoietin levels proves that there is no hypoxia. >
>Decreases in Hb and iron levels are parts of a physiological adaptation.
> >As a consequence they should neither be treated nor prevented. > >It is
stressed that whenever a widespread and ingrained routine medical
>intervention has to be changed it is essential to first monitor the
potential >health effects of the recommended change in a national policy.
> >Publication Types: > > >Review >Review, tutorial >PMID: 8244202, UI:
94063698 > >Who loves ya. >Tom > > >Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com >Man
Is A Herbivore! http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore >DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking Tom, here again is the central point to
consider in the post you made:

"Recent data support the view that it is not justified to interfere with physiological adaptations
developed through millions of years by sophisticated and precisely coordinated regulation of iron
absorption, utilization and storage."

This would no doubt include the methods you advocate to interfere with iron storage etc., not to
mention that if you read the info carefully it again is an example which severly undermines the
points of your thesis. You cann't have it both ways.

Tom, here is the core of the article:

"Recent data support the view that it is not justified to interfere with physiological adaptations
developed through millions of years by sophisticated and precisely coordinated regulation of iron
absorption, utilization and storage."

This alone, again as in other posts you made, undercut yyour thesis fatally. One must assume the
methods you advocate to interfere in iron stores etc. are covered by the above. If one reads the
entire article, it adds to the messages you present that contridict major parts of your thesis.
Humans have been eating meat for millions of years and have adjusted to the iron levels therein,
that's what this says, you posted it.

>Subject: Re: iron deficiency anemia = no diabetes
>From: [email protected]
>Date: 2/29/2004 6:26 PM Mountain Standard Time