Iron Horse Quantum,Yakusa Aniki

rpalmer

Jan 10, 2006
Someone on this site asked about an Iron Horse Quantum, if it was an old model or not really part of their line, because it was sold at Sports Authority, or Sports Un Authority, or SPUA, as with some disgust and affection I like to think of them. The Iron Horse Quantum was listed at Sports Authority, for 599.00, then marked down to 299.00 just before Christmas, but there is no Quantum listed on the site.

In fact, this bike, with decent entry level components is a 2004 IH warrior frame, with some up grades. Its very much the same bike generally as the 06 Maverick team, but with an Acera set instead of SRAM SX4, The 06 frame is close to identical, except for paint and minor details. The Team costs 400 on the web. The only real difference is the SRAM. At 299 the Quantum was not a bad deal, but for 599 it was a Sports Un Authority kind of bad deal. If someone else other than me got one, know I mailed IH tech support before I bought it, and found out it was a good frame made by their first level factory, for SPUA, to sell with that rip of a price.

I picked one up, as a backup bike to a Yakusa Aniki, on severe discount, a demo unit, knowing I would later convert to a two speed with a Pauls tensioner and two front rings and one 18 cog in the rear. I find the bike with a Cane Creek Thudbuster to be easy to live with for now, with two exceptions. Tires, the stock Mythos XC's are not tires that give confidence on my wet sandy tree roots. A 2.24 motoraptor on the rear, 2.4 on the front, helps the bike a lot.

I just wanted to post that it is in fact a decent frame, used on their regular line, with good welds.

On pedals that come on IH bikes on the low end. The basic Wellgo pedals, LU A 8's that come on the bikes, including the Aniki have no sealed bearings, and I had two sets die, after a couple of rains, in one month. If anyone buys an IH bike with these Wellgo's, in a wet environment, you could easily mess up a crank, when the bearings self destruct under load. Get rid of them.

So far some Azonic A Frames and Sun Ringles, have held up in Florida rains. I have to have sealed bearings. The Sun Ringles are on the hard tail, for a test.

The Aniki is a good bike stock if you retrofit a stronger 600 lb spring for heavy trail riding, fast downhill, slow up, it climbs but not well with the stock shock, which is not SPV, just a rebound control that is not really effective. The basic bike for around 800 web, US, is a nice agile bike, for banging rides, as long as you know its got crappy pedals, a marginal shock, decent fork, but if you want more than 5 inches of travel, you have to pay for a new Manitou rear shock with SPV and get a new front fork, and up the price on the bike, the new rear shock makes a huge difference in performance up hill, and down if you just ride it as a HD all mountain or root banging swamp bike the front fork with 130 travel is fine. If you do big drops, get a new fork. I use the bike for its strength and cush rehabilitating a back injury, it still lets me ride some rattle snake trails.

Both bikes on the low end of their gene pool, but useful rides with up grades.

Watch out for IH bikes a SPUA, they get a special buildup, the frame may be ok, but the components can vary. One can buy things eyes open, if you are buying to upgrade and do not expect them to have set the bike up right.

Just got one. Talked the SA MGR into the $299 price. Got the Hayes brakes, Truvativ Crank, and Rock Shox J1. Seems like a good deal. What do ya think of yours so far?

BT