Iron in neurodegenerative diseases

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 19, 2005.

  1. <<snip>>
    a combination of iron chelation and antioxidant therapy might be a
    significant approach to neuroprotection neurodegenerative diseases.
    <<snip>>

    J Mol Neurosci. 2004;24(3):401-16. Links

    Iron and alpha-Synuclein in the Substantia Nigra of MPTP-Treated Mice:
    Effect of Neuroprotective Drugs R-Apomorphine and Green Tea Polyphenol
    (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate.

    Mandel S, Maor G, Youdim MB.

    Eve Topf and USA National Parkinson Foundation Centers of Excellence
    for Neurodegenerative Diseases Research and Department of Pharmacology
    and Rappaport Family Research Institute, Technion-Faculty of Medicine,
    Haifa, 31096, Israel.

    One of the prominent pathological features of Parkinson's disease (PD)
    is the abnormal accumulation of iron in the substantia nigra pars
    compacta (SNpc), in the reactive microglia, and in association with
    neuromelanin, within the melanin-containing dopamine (DA) neurons. Lewy
    body, the morphological hallmark of PD, is composed of lipids,
    redox-active iron, and aggregated alpha-synuclein, concentrating in its
    peripheral halo and ubiquitinated, hyperphosphorylated, neurofilament
    proteins. The capacity of free iron to enhance and promote the
    generation of toxic reactive oxygen radicals has been discussed
    numerous times. Recent observations, that iron induces aggregation of
    inert alpha-synuclein to toxic aggregates, have reinforced the critical
    role of iron in oxidative stress-induced pathogenesis of DA neuron
    degeneration and protein degradation via ubiquitination.
    N-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP)- and
    6-hydroxydopamine-induced neurodegeneration in rodents and nonhuman
    primates is associated with increased presence of iron and
    alpha-synuclein in the SNpc. The accumulation of iron in MPTP-induced
    neurodegeneration has been linked to nitric oxide-dependent mechanism,
    resulting in degradation of prominent iron regulatory proteins by
    ubiquitination. Radical scavengers such as R-apomorphine and green tea
    catechin polyphenol (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate, as well as the
    recently developed brain-permeable VK-28 series derivative iron
    chelators, which are neuroprotective against these neurotoxins in mice
    and rats, prevent the accumulation of iron and alpha-synuclein in SNpc.
    This study supports the notion that a combination of iron chelation and
    antioxidant therapy, as emphasized on several occasions, might be a
    significant approach to neuroprotection in PD and other
    neurodegenerative diseases.

    PMID: 15655262 [PubMed - in process]

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
    Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
    DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    you snipped incorrectly. it should have been

    news:[email protected]

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  3. Jim Carter

    Jim Carter Guest

    On 19 Jan 2005 03:10:31 -0800, [email protected] wrote in
    alt.support.mult-sclerosis:

    >cYou are seeing this message because Tom Hennessy

    aka [email protected] has posted a message in
    alt.support.mult-sclerosis. If you are new to this
    group then please understand that he appears to get
    his thrills from the misfortunes of other people,
    evidenced by his comments to the victims of forest
    fires, the passing of members of this newsgroup and
    his presence on all support newsgroups.

    In keeping with his personality, Tommy believes
    discussions in these groups are conducted by
    using off-colour language and name calling
    that would make a rattlesnake spew. This personality
    trait is shown here:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C3D412B0A

    He seems to believe that whoever swears loudest and
    longest is the winner.

    In his mind, Hennessy believes he is a great
    researcher who has won a Nobel Prize. In fact, he
    merely copies medical material from the web and
    pastes it to usenet, proudly calling this his research.

    There was a time when people like Tommy were
    institutionalized, now they are allowed to run for
    public office and post to usenet. He is a fine
    example why a mental health unit should not
    obtain an internet account.

    Previous addresses include [email protected],
    [email protected], [email protected].

    ---
    Shit happens. You wish it happened every day if you have multiple sclerosis.

  4. Johan

    Johan Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,

    > You got something to say .. ?

    Yes. You certainly haven't -- nothing of value anyway.

    I've read nearly every one of your "scientific literature" citations. So
    far, not one has been much more than obvious "publish or perish"
    minutiae, of little applicability to MS or much else. That was just a
    tiresome exercise I've recently ceased because of its futility.

    Even I have better ways to waste my time.

    Would it hurt you to equally readily cite the plentiful rebuttals to
    your cites so readers could get a fuller understanding of their real
    value?

    I do admire your tenacity, however, when I'm not wondering at your lack
    of skepticism.

    > Who loves ya.

    Well, I suppose I must, but only because Jesus so commands me. Hate the
    sin, but love the sinner and all that.

    > Tom
    >
    > Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
    > Man Is A Herbivore!
    > http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
    > DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
    > http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

    Read all that stuff too; significantly less valuable than comic books:
    At least they have some small entertainment value.

    Good Lord, man, have you no discrimination at all?

  5. Jim Carter

    Jim Carter Guest

    On 19 Jan 2005 10:44:45 -0800, "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote in alt.support.mult-sclerosis:

    >You got something to say .. ?

    You nincompoop, you have said nothing, not one word in that first
    post is yours, is it?. You proudly copy and paste across four
    newsgroups that which you believe is your brilliant research and
    then you cry out hoping someone will say something favourable
    about your spoor. Are you once again going to tell me that you
    have won a Nobel Prize?
    ---
    Shit happens. You wish it happened every day if you have multiple sclerosis.

  6. Yes .. you are correct ..

    Quite surprising .. really ..

    The article / scientific study is DIRECTLY out of Medline .. placed in
    the appropriate groups .. pertaining to neurodegenerative diseases ..

    Iron is mentioned ..

    The TARGETING of .. iron .. is mentioned .. and antioxidants are
    mentioned as a possible treatment to offset the oxidation .. KNOWN ..
    oxidative .. stress ..

    Now .. you have a problem with the post ..

    Do ya .. stupid fat lying bald guy .. ?

    I think you do ..

    Heh .. heh ..

    WHAT .. a freaking .. loser .. you really are ..

    You know .. that .. ?

    Heh .. heh ..

    Now screw off you freaking nutbar ..

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
    Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
    DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  7. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Very scholarly language, Tom. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to hear you've
    earned a second Nobel Prize.

    In <news:[email protected]>,
    [email protected] said:

    > Yes .. you are correct ..
    >
    > Quite surprising .. really ..
    >
    > The article / scientific study is DIRECTLY out of Medline .. placed in
    > the appropriate groups .. pertaining to neurodegenerative diseases ..
    >
    > Iron is mentioned ..
    >
    > The TARGETING of .. iron .. is mentioned .. and antioxidants are
    > mentioned as a possible treatment to offset the oxidation .. KNOWN ..
    > oxidative .. stress ..
    >
    > Now .. you have a problem with the post ..
    >
    > Do ya .. stupid fat lying bald guy .. ?
    >
    > I think you do ..
    >
    > Heh .. heh ..
    >
    > WHAT .. a freaking .. loser .. you really are ..
    >
    > You know .. that .. ?
    >
    > Heh .. heh ..
    >
    > Now screw off you freaking nutbar ..
    >
    > Who loves ya.
    > Tom
    >
    > Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
    > Man Is A Herbivore!
    > http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
    > DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
    > http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

  8. You know you REALLY didn't .. say .. a whole helluva .. lot ..

    I take it you are somewhat .. unimpressed ..

    Heh .. heh ..

    That is very good ..

    Quiz .. time ..

    WHO .. is .. 'the wife of your youth' ..

    You should know that .. IF .. you read everything like you say you have

    Or else you are just another lying piece of crap ..

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
    Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
    DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  9. Joan Carter

    Joan Carter Guest

    On 19 Jan 2005 19:02:46 -0800, [email protected] wrote in
    alt.support.mult-sclerosis:

    >Or else you are just another lying piece of crap ..

    Gee, Tom, that is mild for you. Cleaned up your foul mouth a bit, I see. And
    what happened to the "doe" part of your address? Wanting some spam now, are you?
    Hope you get lots. :)

    Who doesn't love YOU.
    ---
    Joan

  10. Jim Carter

    Jim Carter Guest

    On 19 Jan 2005 18:28:29 -0800, "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote in alt.support.mult-sclerosis:

    >Iron is mentioned ..
    >
    >The TARGETING of .. iron .. is mentioned .. and antioxidants are
    >mentioned as a possible treatment to offset the oxidation .. KNOWN ..
    >oxidative .. stress ..
    >
    >Now .. you have a problem with the post ..
    >
    >Do ya .. stupid fat lying bald guy .. ?
    >
    >I think you do ..
    >
    >Heh .. heh ..
    >
    >WHAT .. a freaking .. loser .. you really are ..
    >
    >You know .. that .. ?
    >
    >Heh .. heh ..
    >
    >Now screw off you freaking nutbar ..

    Your English is quite poor. Are you from a loony bin in Calgary?

    Are you trying to say something beyond baby talk? Nope, didn't
    think so. You might try "Hooked on Phonics", they speak well of
    it on television.

    I have told you before+ that Medline accepts anything for
    publication,+ which supports the "publish or perish" comment made
    by someone else. Oh, yes, and that little work you happily
    posted in the arthritis conference. Yes, you remember the one,
    it had only the first names of the investigators. A fishing
    expedition by students who reeled in the boy fool.
    From: watchman ([email protected])
    [Now [email protected]]
    Newsgroups: alt.support.thyroid
    Date: 2002-01-12 15:56:30 PST
    "Look lady .. if you don't know what you are talking about 'medically' ..
    then stay out of it .. The man has had three miscarriages/spontaneous
    abortions."

  11. Jim Carter

    Jim Carter Guest

    On 19 Jan 2005 19:02:46 -0800, [email protected] wrote in
    alt.support.mult-sclerosis:

    >WHO .. is .. 'the wife of your youth' ..
    >
    >You should know that .. IF .. you read everything like you say you have

    He said he used to read all of your nonsense or words to that
    effect. I doubt that you wrote the Book of Proverbs.
    ---
    Shit happens. You wish it happened every day if you have multiple sclerosis.

  12. Johan

    Johan Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > You know you REALLY didn't .. say .. a whole helluva .. lot ..

    Difficulty reading, Tom? You've answered far less than I said.

    > I take it you are somewhat .. unimpressed ..

    Not nearly; I am _very_ unimpressed so far.

    > Heh .. heh ..
    >
    > That is very good ..
    >
    > Quiz .. time ..
    >
    > WHO .. is .. 'the wife of your youth' ..

    Who are the Whore of Babylon, the Abomination of Desolation, the Accuser
    of the Brethren? Of whom was it said (other than you, who demonstrate it
    daily): "Thinking themselves wise, they became fools?"

    You should know those IF you're so wise as you purport.

    > You should know that .. IF .. you read everything like you say you have
    > ..
    >
    > Or else you are just another lying piece of crap ..

    Baseless (and weak) assertion yet again, accompanied by another false
    dichotomy. Accusing a questioner of falsehood is not defense, merely
    rudeness. But there _is_ intellectual feces to be found -- on your site
    and in your "book."

    I said I've read your site and cites and so I have.

    You post _your_ cites without reference to rebuttals. You offer no
    refutation to the copious rebuttals to your cites other than to scream
    like an aggrieved toddler: "Yes it is! You're a liar! Everybody is
    against me!."

    Well, I suppose you couldn't be expected to act differently from any
    other purveyor of junk science.

    First, last, and only hint: Rudely and repeatedly shouting your claims
    does not constitute proof, or even defense.

    Well, one should treat a toddler in a tantrum as it deserves.

    Everybody is against you. Nobody likes you, everybody hates you. Please
    go eat some worms. Nice and greasy, slide down easy. Nice and juicy
    worms. Better not maybe: they might have iron in them. They are meat
    after all. Spinach, among other vegetables, may also contain iron
    compounds. Probably should avoid that as well.

    There ya go, Hennessy; all the support for paranoiac delusional ideation
    you'll ever need -- if you need any.

    The sad part of the whole issue is: You _could_ be correct. Iron
    metabolism _could_ play some role in neurogenic disease. It is so far
    from proven, however, that it remains questionable and might equally
    well be illusory.

    No one will ever know from your method of defending it. Your rudeness
    and emotionalism weaken all your arguments.

    > Who loves ya.
    > Tom
    >
    > Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
    > Man Is A Herbivore!
    > http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
    > DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
    > http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

    Prototypical troll; snips everything, answers nothing, full of sound and
    fury, signifying only that.

    Long past time: <plink>

  13. Michael

    Michael Guest

    In <news:[email protected]>,
    [email protected] said:

    > You seem to like to bring up the Nobel ..

    Indeed, I do.

    > Even though it was explained .. specifically ..

    Your "explanation" was precisely as follows:

    > You just .. 'don't get it' .. do ya ..
    > My credentials are . . every medical article I post ..
    > And if THAT doesn't make me a NOBEL PRIZE WINNER ..
    > I don't know what would ..

    See... the trouble here is that you state clearly that your actual
    contribution amounts to nothing more than posting accounts of other people's
    research and results.

    Medline and other services already did that part before you... so I think
    they're a long way ahead of you in the line-up for any Nobel that might
    (around the time Hell freezes over, if I might hazard a guess,) be awarded
    for "compiling and re-publishing the bare-bones abstracts of other people's
    work".

    And of course, there are also all sorts of replies and perfectly accurate
    refutations of your assertion above, and you know perfectly well how to find
    them all, so I won't copy them here.

    The foremost among these is simply this: no one is, ever has been or ever
    *will* be eligible for a Nobel in recognition solely of tireless, obsessive
    and deluded effort in finding and copying other people's reports... in *any*
    field of study.

    Do .. you .. 'get it'?

    I'm pretty sure you don't. You're *far* too important to allow the rules
    that govern any field of research to be used to hold you accountable for
    your ideas, pronouncements, or actions.
    -- Michael
    "It's just some kind of invasion or something.
    But I agree...since Congress didn't call it a
    war, I won't either."
    - Angela Bassett-Hound

  14. Regarding nobel and iron "research":

    "The foremost among these is simply this: no one is, ever has been or ever
    *will* be eligible for a Nobel in recognition solely of tireless,
    obsessive
    and deluded effort in finding and copying other people's reports... in
    *any*
    field of study."

    Important also is that he doesn't typically understand most of the content
    of what is posted nor the comments which often debunck the iron thesis.
    It only reflects that one or more of the contents of a list, as described
    on his pages, of words gets a hit in a search enjine. Then it is posted
    only if he thinks it reflects well on the iron thesis, often a matter of
    guessing and often wrong. Several of his postings in fact present all the
    information required to over turn the iron thesis in detail because he
    doesn't understand what it really says.

  15. You've been TOLD .. "I never claimed a Nobel .. I won't attempt to
    claim a Nobel .. " .. but .. since this is a medical subject .. IRON
    BEING TARGETED IN NEURODEGENERATIVE DISORDERS .. and since you actually
    KNOW fkall .. ABOUT .. science .. IE: radiation is NOT .. oxidation /
    free radicals .. evidence based .. so you attempt and continue to ..
    ridicule the .. poster OF the medical study ..

    That is what I said .. and that is what I stick to ..

    YOU are a fkg .. loser .. always WILL be a fkg .. loser and you will be
    LONG FKG DEAD before .. I .. stop posting medical studies .. pertinent
    / relevant .. medical studies TO the appropriate groups .. WHENEVER I
    FKG FEEL LIKE IT ..

    You fkg .. dig .. ?

    Or is that to hard for a twisted fk like you to understand .. eh ..
    lefty ..

    go eat some MORE raw fkg meat .. ya fkg .. freak ..

    And STAY THE FK AWAY .. FROM .. me .. you twisted .. fk ..

    Because talking to you is about as fkg creepy as talking to your porn
    pushing pal ..

    Dig .. ?
    Underfkgstand ..?

    Comfkgprendez .. ?