Iron Man Training- help

I am starting Iron man preparation.
Food intake and protein has picked up.
Training consists of the following
bike 37km x4, 11 x1, 50-70km x1 Sunday ride = 210km/week
swim 3-4km x4 using cups/buckets as drag resistance. = 10km/week
weights 1 per fortnight.
run 50k per week

Should i be doing more? I know guys who do 800 km a week on the bike
training for the same race. But if i did that i would not have time
for the other disciplines or work.

set programs don't suit me, i do my own thing, thats why i like
Tri's. i ride to work, and run at lunch time every day, programs
don't allow for this.

On 5 Dec, 05:23, [email protected] wrote:
> I am starting Iron man preparation.
> Food intake and protein has picked up.
> Training consists of the following
> bike 37km x4, 11 x1, 50-70km x1 Sunday ride = 210km/week
> swim 3-4km x4 using cups/buckets as drag resistance. = 10km/week
> weights 1 per fortnight.
> run 50k per week
>
> Should i be doing more? I know guys who do 800 km a week on the bike
> training for the same race. But if i did that i would not have time
> for the other disciplines or work.
>
> set programs don't suit me, i do my own thing, thats why i like
> Tri's. i ride to work, and run at lunch time every day, programs
> don't allow for this.

Hi

Depend what time you looking for. Do you just want to finish (a big
achievement in itself) or qualify?

I did my first IM in 2006 in the UK. I used 'Gooing Long' by Joe Friel/
Gordon Byrne as my guide. I found a lot of my preperation was mental.
I met a lot of guys who gave me the ' 1st one eh! UK is real tough &
not a good 1st IM' 'bike is hilly & hard' stuff. I tried to ignore it
and set my self levels of goal to achieve 1st to finish - 2nd to beat
13hrs - 3rd to get between 12 & 13hrs. In the end I managed 11'22' so
was thrilled.
My main training was structured around 1 x 4k swim, 1 x 170k bike and
1 x 2hr run each week. My other sessions were shorter and often brick
sessions in total doing about the same as you.

As well as the mental stamina, I found nutrition the other major thing
to concentrate on. I changed my energy drinks & bars to the brand to
be supplied in the race and used drinks bars on every training session
to get used to it. It meant I didnt have to worry in the event and was
able to pick up nutrition at every stop rather than panicking about
what I was carrying.

Most of all have fun it will be the best day of your life!

VIc
http://www.stratfordbikehire.com

out of interest, what time do you do Olymipic Triathlons in?
Just to get an idea of what my first IM time will be.
I do 2hr10m, so i will be hoping to do 10-11hrs.

On Dec 6, 10:52 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> out of interest, what time do you do Olymipic Triathlons in?
> Just to get an idea of what my first IM time will be.
> I do 2hr10m, so i will be hoping to do 10-11hrs.

I usually manage around 1hr20. I struggle a bit at shorter distance as
my swimming is my weakest discipline (takes me 30mins for Olympic!!) I
run just under 3hrs for marathon and this is my main strength at full
distance managing 1'30.

Vic
www.stratfordbikehire.com

I would say that if you are serious about finishing an Ironman in good
condition that you should join a tri club or see a coach. It also
helps to have like minded people around you!

Rob

On Dec 12, 1:25 am, RobWoozle <[email protected]> wrote:
> I would say that if you are serious about finishing an Ironman in good
> condition that you should join a tri club or see a coach. It also
> helps to have like minded people around you!
>
> Rob

Thats real good advice. As I wrote in my earlier post the mental
challenge is as great as the physical. I am a member of an athletic
club with about 20 triathletes and I found the support from the club
invaluable. I also entered with two friends so we were sort of in it
together! Although I still had to put in long hours on my own it was
great to have people around so slog it out with you.

Which event have you entered?

Vic
www.stratfordbikehire.com

here is my 2 sence....i completed 2 ironman. both in AZ the last 2 yrs. swim
at least once a week but once you make it to 2.5 miles just repeat that once
a week and you will be fine. work your bike up to century and do that in 5
mile increments until you do weekly 100 miles for a few weeks. run. there is
where i'm not much help. i undertrained and developed 2 stress fractures at
about mile 20 of the run. i had to withdraw from IM florida and have still
not recovered enuf to run. anyway, with my first IM i worked my way up to
long runs of 13 and did not do any furthur but my time was 15 hours. you
need to decide if you want to "be an ironman" or compete with ironmen. it's
the best feeling you will have when that guy says your name and then calls
you an ironman when you cross the finish line, besides when that doctor
passes you your newborn in the delivery room:). you can do it, enjoy the
journey.