Ironhorse MT700R

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Vp, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Hey there. I might be in the market for a new bike soon.

    I am currently riding an Ironhorse MT700R and I like it, but it's a bit dated and showing age.

    The geometrics of the bike basically make it a very stable bike when it comes to popping wheelies
    and ass-end-over-tea-kettle. It's a very flat bike, and I've grown to like it.

    I live in Ontario (moving from Toronto to London in a month or so) and would like a front suspension
    or old-skool, with disc brakes. I don¹t do downhill nor listen to thrashing music. I'm mid thirties,
    and like touring and come from a road background. Travelled to Scotland on this bike, so it's seen
    some days.

    Any info appreciated. Links definitely appreciated.

    Cheers

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    VP wrote:
    > Hey there. I might be in the market for a new bike soon.
    >
    > I am currently riding an Ironhorse MT700R and I like it, but it's a bit dated and showing age.
    >
    > The geometrics of the bike basically make it a very stable bike when it comes to popping wheelies
    > and ass-end-over-tea-kettle. It's a very flat bike, and I've grown to like it.
    >
    > I live in Ontario (moving from Toronto to London in a month or so) and would like a front
    > suspension or old-skool, with disc brakes. I don¹t do downhill nor listen to thrashing music. I'm
    > mid thirties, and like touring and come from a road background. Travelled to Scotland on this
    > bike, so it's seen some days.
    >
    > Any info appreciated. Links definitely appreciated.

    I'm not sure what your question was, but I think you're looking for a new bike (HT or rigid?). You
    need to be a little more specific - frame, F+F or full bike? Budget? Preferences? Buying in Canada
    or the UK?

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    VP wrote:

    >>I'm not sure what your question was, but I think you're looking for a new bike (HT or rigid?).
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > As for hard tail or rigid, I'm not sure. That's part of my question.

    I'd go with HT, unless you have slightly masochistic tendencies.

    >>You need to be a little more specific - frame, F+F or full bike? Budget? Preferences? Buying in
    >>Canada or the UK?
    >

    > Frame - don't know F+F I have no idea what that is

    Frame and forks.

    > Full bike? Can I ride anything less than a full bike? If you mean build my own, probably not.

    Yep, I meant are you going to transfer stuff over or just buy a full brand new bike.

    > Budget? About $2000 Canadian which these days is $1500 US. Preferences...what I mentioned about
    > the Ironhorse, and disc brakes. I've never used suspension. Buying in Canada.

    $2k CAN will get you a whole heap of bike, and I thought it would be dead easy to find a decent
    hardtail with discs. I was wrong. None of the major manufacturers seems to cater to your needs. Now,
    I can list you a load of English manufacturers who'd do something for you, but I don't really know
    about anything in North America. Anyone else?

  4. Vp

    Vp Guest

    bomba,

    >> As for hard tail or rigid, I'm not sure. That's part of my question.
    >
    > I'd go with HT, unless you have slightly masochistic tendencies.

    Ok I find front suspension a new feel, but I'll give it a whirl.

    > Yep, I meant are you going to transfer stuff over or just buy a full brand new bike.

    Well since it's a 92, I would think a whole new bike would suffice. I'd like disc brakes though. I
    know how difficult it is to get a perfect bike, so I might do some extra swapping.

    >> Budget? About $2000 Canadian which these days is $1500 US. Preferences...what I mentioned about
    >> the Ironhorse, and disc brakes. I've never used suspension. Buying in Canada.
    >
    > $2k CAN will get you a whole heap of bike, and I thought it would be dead easy to find a decent
    > hardtail with discs. I was wrong. None of the major manufacturers seems to cater to your needs.
    > Now, I can list you a load of English manufacturers who'd do something for you, but I don't really
    > know about anything in North America. Anyone else?

    See that's what I mean. I don't mind building my own, but that would become a project, with some
    questions here. I don't really mind where it's from, as long as it has a good reputation. I know
    western Canadian manufacturers are serious.

    Cheers

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    VP wrote:

    >>$2k CAN will get you a whole heap of bike, and I thought it would be dead easy to find a decent
    >>hardtail with discs. I was wrong. None of the major manufacturers seems to cater to your needs.
    >>Now, I can list you a load of English manufacturers who'd do something for you, but I don't really
    >>know about anything in North America. Anyone else?
    >

    > See that's what I mean. I don't mind building my own, but that would become a project, with some
    > questions here.

    Up to you, but it could be that you end up with something more in tune with your ideals. Plus, you
    might find it more fun.

    I don't really mind where it's from,
    > as long as it has a good reputation. I know western Canadian manufacturers are serious.

    Well, I checked out Rocky Mountain and they don't do anything. Not sure of others.

    www.orangebikes.co.uk - Evo2 and P7 can be specced with discs www.merlincycles.co.uk - the Rock
    Lobsters are nice and can be specced with discs, as can their own brand www.on-one.co.uk - don't do
    full builds per se, but you can build up pretty much a full bike well inside your budget.

  6. Vp

    Vp Guest

    bomba,

    > Up to you, but it could be that you end up with something more in tune with your ideals. Plus, you
    > might find it more fun.

    Sorry, if I build it myself or I buy a built bike? I know built bikes offer savings, so I've always
    gone that route.

    > I don't really mind where it's from,
    >> as long as it has a good reputation. I know western Canadian manufacturers are serious.
    >
    > Well, I checked out Rocky Mountain and they don't do anything. Not sure of others.
    >
    > www.orangebikes.co.uk - Evo2 and P7 can be specced with discs www.merlincycles.co.uk - the Rock
    > Lobsters are nice and can be specced with discs, as can their own brand www.on-one.co.uk - don't
    > do full builds per se, but you can build up pretty much a full bike well inside your budget.

    Sounds good. I'll take a look at those urls.

    Cheers

  7. Jo

    Jo Guest

    VP <[email protected]> Had this to say news:BB138BE8.42116%[email protected]:

    > bomba,
    >
    >> I'm not sure what your question was, but I think you're looking for a new bike (HT or rigid?).
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > As for hard tail or rigid, I'm not sure. That's part of my question.
    >
    >>You need to be a little more specific - frame, F+F or full bike? Budget? Preferences? Buying in
    >>Canada or the UK?
    >
    > Frame - don't know F+F I have no idea what that is Full bike? Can I ride anything less than a full
    > bike? If you mean build my own, probably not. Budget? About $2000 Canadian which these days is
    > $1500 US. Preferences...what I mentioned about the Ironhorse, and disc brakes. I've never used
    > suspension. Buying in Canada.
    >
    > Cheers

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

    Hey, i do not know about iron horse, but the is a nice little family owned bike shop on the main
    street in Streetsville calley RE-MY Sports....

    should check with them before moving.... i purchased there for the last 6 years after freaking
    out on a looser in a Psycho-Path (Cyclepath) about a year previous to that. (Didn't want to give
    me refund on Manitu Mach 5 Pro, which was recalled, IN FEBURARY, 2 week after i purchased. They
    were still in the friggin bok and receip was less than 30 days, steer tube was still uncut and
    factory lenght..)

    Man did i blow a fuse there, still go no refund and had to wait till July for replacement when the
    distributor is (was) 1 hr bike ride from store.....

    what type of customer service is that

    cheers