Ironhorse MT700R

Vp

Guest
Hey there. I might be in the market for a new bike soon.

I am currently riding an Ironhorse MT700R and I like it, but it's a bit dated and showing age.

The geometrics of the bike basically make it a very stable bike when it comes to popping wheelies
and ass-end-over-tea-kettle. It's a very flat bike, and I've grown to like it.

I live in Ontario (moving from Toronto to London in a month or so) and would like a front suspension
or old-skool, with disc brakes. I don¹t do downhill nor listen to thrashing music. I'm mid thirties,
and like touring and come from a road background. Travelled to Scotland on this bike, so it's seen
some days.

Any info appreciated. Links definitely appreciated.

Cheers

VP wrote:
> Hey there. I might be in the market for a new bike soon.
>
> I am currently riding an Ironhorse MT700R and I like it, but it's a bit dated and showing age.
>
> The geometrics of the bike basically make it a very stable bike when it comes to popping wheelies
> and ass-end-over-tea-kettle. It's a very flat bike, and I've grown to like it.
>
> I live in Ontario (moving from Toronto to London in a month or so) and would like a front
> suspension or old-skool, with disc brakes. I don¹t do downhill nor listen to thrashing music. I'm
> mid thirties, and like touring and come from a road background. Travelled to Scotland on this
> bike, so it's seen some days.
>
> Any info appreciated. Links definitely appreciated.

I'm not sure what your question was, but I think you're looking for a new bike (HT or rigid?). You
need to be a little more specific - frame, F+F or full bike? Budget? Preferences? Buying in Canada
or the UK?

VP wrote:

>>I'm not sure what your question was, but I think you're looking for a new bike (HT or rigid?).
>
> Yes.
>
> As for hard tail or rigid, I'm not sure. That's part of my question.

I'd go with HT, unless you have slightly masochistic tendencies.

>>You need to be a little more specific - frame, F+F or full bike? Budget? Preferences? Buying in
>>Canada or the UK?
>

> Frame - don't know F+F I have no idea what that is

Frame and forks.

> Full bike? Can I ride anything less than a full bike? If you mean build my own, probably not.

Yep, I meant are you going to transfer stuff over or just buy a full brand new bike.

> Budget? About $2000 Canadian which these days is $1500 US. Preferences...what I mentioned about
> the Ironhorse, and disc brakes. I've never used suspension. Buying in Canada.

$2k CAN will get you a whole heap of bike, and I thought it would be dead easy to find a decent
hardtail with discs. I was wrong. None of the major manufacturers seems to cater to your needs. Now,
I can list you a load of English manufacturers who'd do something for you, but I don't really know
about anything in North America. Anyone else?

bomba,

>> As for hard tail or rigid, I'm not sure. That's part of my question.
>
> I'd go with HT, unless you have slightly masochistic tendencies.

Ok I find front suspension a new feel, but I'll give it a whirl.

> Yep, I meant are you going to transfer stuff over or just buy a full brand new bike.

Well since it's a 92, I would think a whole new bike would suffice. I'd like disc brakes though. I
know how difficult it is to get a perfect bike, so I might do some extra swapping.

>> Budget? About $2000 Canadian which these days is $1500 US. Preferences...what I mentioned about
>> the Ironhorse, and disc brakes. I've never used suspension. Buying in Canada.
>
> $2k CAN will get you a whole heap of bike, and I thought it would be dead easy to find a decent
> hardtail with discs. I was wrong. None of the major manufacturers seems to cater to your needs.
> Now, I can list you a load of English manufacturers who'd do something for you, but I don't really
> know about anything in North America. Anyone else?

See that's what I mean. I don't mind building my own, but that would become a project, with some
questions here. I don't really mind where it's from, as long as it has a good reputation. I know
western Canadian manufacturers are serious.

Cheers

VP wrote:

>>$2k CAN will get you a whole heap of bike, and I thought it would be dead easy to find a decent
>>hardtail with discs. I was wrong. None of the major manufacturers seems to cater to your needs.
>>Now, I can list you a load of English manufacturers who'd do something for you, but I don't really
>>know about anything in North America. Anyone else?
>

> See that's what I mean. I don't mind building my own, but that would become a project, with some
> questions here.

Up to you, but it could be that you end up with something more in tune with your ideals. Plus, you
might find it more fun.

I don't really mind where it's from,
> as long as it has a good reputation. I know western Canadian manufacturers are serious.

Well, I checked out Rocky Mountain and they don't do anything. Not sure of others.

www.orangebikes.co.uk - Evo2 and P7 can be specced with discs www.merlincycles.co.uk - the Rock
Lobsters are nice and can be specced with discs, as can their own brand www.on-one.co.uk - don't do
full builds per se, but you can build up pretty much a full bike well inside your budget.

bomba,

> Up to you, but it could be that you end up with something more in tune with your ideals. Plus, you
> might find it more fun.

Sorry, if I build it myself or I buy a built bike? I know built bikes offer savings, so I've always
gone that route.

> I don't really mind where it's from,
>> as long as it has a good reputation. I know western Canadian manufacturers are serious.
>
> Well, I checked out Rocky Mountain and they don't do anything. Not sure of others.
>
> www.orangebikes.co.uk - Evo2 and P7 can be specced with discs www.merlincycles.co.uk - the Rock
> Lobsters are nice and can be specced with discs, as can their own brand www.on-one.co.uk - don't
> do full builds per se, but you can build up pretty much a full bike well inside your budget.

Sounds good. I'll take a look at those urls.

Cheers

VP <[email protected]> Had this to say news:BB138BE8.42116%[email protected]:

> bomba,
>
>> I'm not sure what your question was, but I think you're looking for a new bike (HT or rigid?).
>
> Yes.
>
> As for hard tail or rigid, I'm not sure. That's part of my question.
>
>>You need to be a little more specific - frame, F+F or full bike? Budget? Preferences? Buying in
>>Canada or the UK?
>
> Frame - don't know F+F I have no idea what that is Full bike? Can I ride anything less than a full
> bike? If you mean build my own, probably not. Budget? About $2000 Canadian which these days is
> $1500 US. Preferences...what I mentioned about the Ironhorse, and disc brakes. I've never used
> suspension. Buying in Canada.
>
> Cheers

> Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Hey, i do not know about iron horse, but the is a nice little family owned bike shop on the main
street in Streetsville calley RE-MY Sports....

should check with them before moving.... i purchased there for the last 6 years after freaking
out on a looser in a Psycho-Path (Cyclepath) about a year previous to that. (Didn't want to give
me refund on Manitu Mach 5 Pro, which was recalled, IN FEBURARY, 2 week after i purchased. They
were still in the friggin bok and receip was less than 30 days, steer tube was still uncut and
factory lenght..)

Man did i blow a fuse there, still go no refund and had to wait till July for replacement when the
distributor is (was) 1 hr bike ride from store.....

what type of customer service is that

cheers