Ironman Florida Bike Loop

Ironic

Guest
Anybody familiar with the wind conditions generally
prevailing at Ironman Florida (Panama City Beach)? Obviously
wind conditions can vary considerably day to day anywhere,
but I was wondering if it is known for being traditionally
windy, compensating for its relatively flat profile. Where I
am, wind picking up during the course of the day is pretty
predictable, and I could plan my training around that,
rather than going in the relative still of the morning.

Thanks.

Greg

I did the Panama City, Gulf Coast half a few years ago and
the wind was not even an issue. It was very light on the way
out and provided a little push most of the way back. That
was in 98 and I am sure there are days when it could get a
bit gusty. Don't sweat it. If the wind gets really nasty
everybody will feel the effect. Plan on having a big wind,
train windy locations and be prepared for the worst. It will
give you one up on some of the competition. Let your
developed strength in the wind be your advantage.

Ken @ Kauai

news:[email protected]...

"IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I did the Panama City, Gulf Coast half a few years ago and
> the wind was not even an issue. It was very light on the
> way out and provided a little push most of the way back.
> That was in 98 and I am sure there are days when it could
> get a bit gusty. Don't sweat it. If the wind gets really
> nasty everybody will feel the effect. Plan on having a big
> wind, train windy locations and be prepared for the worst.
> It will give you one up on some of the competition. Let
> your developed strength in the wind be your advantage.
>
> Ken @ Kauai

Basically what he said.....I've done this HIM 4 x and the
wind wasn't a big issue (and possibly it seems bigger than
it is because the course is so flat there's not much else to
think about except the heat).....HOWEVER I have also raced
other tri's in November in NW FL and it can be quite windy
that time of year.....I've seen 20 mph IIRC....

> If the wind gets really nasty everybody will feel
> the effect.

Unless it changes direction halfway through. :)

See you in Nov!

Susan

> See you in Nov!
>
> Susan

You will if you hang around long enough at the finish. I am
practicing the "crawl" for the swim and the finish line.

Greg

I have done IMFL 2 times and the first time was a perfect
day in 2001. Light 5mph wind the whole time. 2002 was a
different story. 15-25mph head wind and side wind sometimes.
RAIN. So I have done it all. Train hard.

Jason "Ironic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anybody familiar with the wind conditions generally
> prevailing at Ironman Florida (Panama City Beach)?
> Obviously wind conditions can vary considerably day to day
> anywhere, but I was wondering if it is known for being
> traditionally windy, compensating for its relatively flat
> profile. Where I am, wind picking up during the course of
> the day is pretty predictable, and I could plan my
> training around that, rather than going in the relative
> still of the morning.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greg

"Jason Watson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have done IMFL 2 times and the first time was a perfect
> day in 2001. Light 5mph wind the whole time. 2002 was a
> different story. 15-25mph
head
> wind and side wind sometimes. RAIN. So I have done it all.
> Train hard.

Oh yeah. I did hear about this one. I was trying to forget.
We don't have rain out here.

Susan in LA

"Ironic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > See you in Nov!
> >
> > Susan
>
> You will if you hang around long enough at the finish.
> I am practicing the "crawl" for the swim and the
> finish line.
>
> Greg

Who knows, maybe you'll have to hang around a long time to
see me.....but what with a mass swim start and a 2-loop
run course we should get to see just about everyone out
there, eh?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Susan in LA" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Who knows, maybe you'll have to hang around a long time to
> see me.....but what with a mass swim start and a 2-loop
> run course we should get to see just about everyone out
> there, eh?

Don't count on it. I got lapped on the bike by the first few
pro men at IM Wisconsin last year, but not by any of the
women. And by the time I was starting the run--literally in
the first 200 yards--I heard them announcing the finish of
the first woman. I think there were a lot of other people I
didn't get to see either! :)

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Th-
en it was every other day. . . ."
- Homer J. Simpson