Ironman training -- where to begin?

zippogeek

Aug 21, 2004
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to these threads and to cycling for that matter. Your insights would be appreciated...

I've lost 81 lbs. and I'm gunning for a lifelong dream next July at Ironman Lake Placid (very hilly)! I'm not looking to break the sound barrier -- my only goal is to FINISH, as I am raising at least $32K for disease research if I do!! I run like a glacier, so if I can buy time for the marathon by finishing the bike sooner that will help.

I have a basic tri bike (Q. Roo). I'm fairly large, 5'10"/217 lbs. My legs are stronger and bigger than avg. due to years of carrying around so much blubber :eek: !!

Finally, my questions: For Ironman distance (112 mi), what type of training should I do? Heart rate? MPH? Cadence? Watts? What parameters are important (for ME, not Lance Armstrong)? What would an ideal computer be for me? I don't mind paying serious jack for a wireless unit, provided that it gives me USEFUL data and won't confuse the bejeezus out of me, or make me micromanage every stroke.

Also, when will the white-hot burning sensation in my legs stop? :eek:

Thanks to any who can shed some light!

Cheers,
Jason

zippogeek said:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to these threads and to cycling for that matter. Your insights would be appreciated...

I've lost 81 lbs. and I'm gunning for a lifelong dream next July at Ironman Lake Placid (very hilly)! I'm not looking to break the sound barrier -- my only goal is to FINISH, as I am raising at least $32K for disease research if I do!! I run like a glacier, so if I can buy time for the marathon by finishing the bike sooner that will help.

I have a basic tri bike (Q. Roo). I'm fairly large, 5'10"/217 lbs. My legs are stronger and bigger than avg. due to years of carrying around so much blubber :eek: !!

Finally, my questions: For Ironman distance (112 mi), what type of training should I do? Heart rate? MPH? Cadence? Watts? What parameters are important (for ME, not Lance Armstrong)? What would an ideal computer be for me? I don't mind paying serious jack for a wireless unit, provided that it gives me USEFUL data and won't confuse the bejeezus out of me, or make me micromanage every stroke.

Also, when will the white-hot burning sensation in my legs stop? :eek:

Thanks to any who can shed some light!

Cheers,
Jason
Jason my advice to you would be to read a book! I've done around 6 tri's recently and it's a huge rush. And like you said, your goal should just be focusing on finishing and don't worry about the small stuff. One of the best tri books I have read is called: "Triathlon Training" written by Michael Finch. Very detailed training and they also have training schedules from Sprint tri's to Ironmans! Best of luck!;)

zippogeek said:
Thanks gotendurance! I will track down a copy! --Jason
Friel has a book on it as well that's supposedly good.

You have a lot of work do to, my friend. It normally takes a few years of training to be able to TRAIN for an Ironman. The keys are going to be weight loss -- as much as you can handle -- and building killer endurance.

I'm no coach, but what I'd suggest is starting RIGHT NOW with as much low/moderate intensity long distance work you can possibly squeeze into your schedule. Don't try to slowly build up (that would make sense if you were training at higher levels of intensity, or if you had more time). Get a solid start going into the fall/winter months by having already knocked off 60-80 mile weekend rides and 8-12 mile runs. Make a goal to have done each of the three legs, a week or two apart, by end of January or something like that. Do a marathon sometime in the early spring.

Visit Total Immersion's web site on swimming. I love the sound of their program. Get swim coaching (from them?) to learn to conserve energy for the bike/run.