Irritating Magnetic Pedal Stroke

wiredued

Aug 17, 2004
I just started using a fluid trainer and am amazed how easy it is to reach threshold and maintain it. I struggled alot trying to get 12 minutes of threshold on the magnetic and can do 2x20 easily on the fluid. Is it the trainer or is it my imagination?

I had the same experience. I wonder how many of the folks who can't match their outdoor power numbers on a trainer are using mag or fan trainers.

On the other hand, maybe it's just that riding the dead feeling trainers is so unpleasant that most people give up before they adapt sufficiently to the trainer.

And, on the third hand, IIRC, one of the forum's leading lights did an hour time trial on several different types of trainers as well as outside and was able to hit about the same average wattage on each trainer as outside. So maybe the physical effect is pretty subtle or non-existant. I suspect there may be an article related to this subject (the effect of trainer inertia on power production) published in the near future.

wiredued said:
I just started using a fluid trainer and am amazed how easy it is to reach threshold and maintain it. I struggled alot trying to get 12 minutes of threshold on the magnetic and can do 2x20 easily on the fluid. Is it the trainer or is it my imagination?