irritation from saddle

ringfeder3

Dec 10, 2005
I have been suffering quite severe irritation/chafing from my saddle. On occasion it has actually blistered necessitating a week off the bike. I have bought new knicks and a new saddle but the problem remains. I wash the knicks daily and dry them after wear. Seat height and level have not changed. This is becoming a real problem. Any suggestions?:confused:

ringfeder3 said:
I have been suffering quite severe irritation/chafing from my saddle. On occasion it has actually blistered necessitating a week off the bike. I have bought new knicks and a new saddle but the problem remains. I wash the knicks daily and dry them after wear. Seat height and level have not changed. This is becoming a real problem. Any suggestions?:confused:

The higher gears will reduce the movement and weight on the saddle.

I have the same problem. Believe it or not, I've always had acne on my butt, but now that I ride so much (800+ miles per month), it has gotten really bad. I'm talking about bleeding, dark sores that look really bad, and bad pain. It's gotten a little better without doing anything about it, but yesterday I bought some cycling tights and it looks like I'll have to wear shorts underneath, which means more protection. Having just gotten back from an 80 mile ride, my ass feels pretty good (although still a little sore). I think that's the only solution... I wonder how the pros manage!

The more expensive shorts have much better padding than the cheaper ones. I now use Pearl Izumi Microsensor 3D Chamois Shorts and am very happy with them. Perhaps your shorts do not have adequate padding for you. You might also try a change in saddle. However with your problem I do not know what would be a good choice. A Brooks smooth leather saddle is a lot less irritating than most saddles. A soft saddle such as a Gel saddle may do but is not necessarily the answer. You may also be staying in the saddle too long. You should stand up to peddle as often as possible. I have recently temporarily switched from a Brooks saddle to a Selle San Marco. It is hard as a rock but actually is not really irritating other than after a long ride. It is a very good saddle and it has less contact with my crotch. A very narrow saddle might help you.

ringfeder3 said:
As frenchyge said, chamois lube is the ticket to prevent chafing. Use it generously, and plan on reapplying it during a long ride as needed.

Hygiene is important too. As soon as possible after the ride, get the shorts off and clean up. Some guys I ride with carry anti-bacterial wipes and fresh underwear/shorts in their cars for this purpose. For any pimples or saddlesores, believe an application of a topical anti-bac cream would help healing.

It takes time to toughen the hide too. If you're new to longer rides, ie, more than an hour or two in the saddle, be patient. Just like a lot of things in cycling, the body needs time to adapt.

Note, assumption is that your seat height and saddle fit are close. If you're rocking all over the place trying to pedal, or your saddle is way too wide or narrow, those problems need to be corrected first.