Is 15 mile road bike commute too far?

On 4 Aug 2003 16:22:42 -0700, Jeffrey Pogodzinski <[email protected]> wrote:
> How do you deal with no bike lanes?

Possible strategies: -- Ride far enough into the road that automotive drivers must use the
opposite lane to pass -- Take a different road -- Try to leave space and get really scared and
probably killed

> I have a mountain bike -- Giant ATX 890 -- it has knobby tires. Should I buy some smooth tires
> before I try it?

Yes, yes, and more yes. Slicks, or semi-slicks. I've had good (and fast) experience with these:
http://www.lickbike.com/i1837050.htm though I don't know if that's a good place to get them.

Even better, try to get your hands on a road bike to do your test ride on.

--
Rick Onanian

[email protected] (Jeffrey Pogodzinski) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I am thinking of buying a road bike to commute to work every day.

Excellent

> Would 15 miles each way be too far?

No -- that's about my commute. One thing that I have going for me that you might not have is a bus
route that more or less parallels 10 miles of it on the freeway. I have the option at mile 5/6, mile
8, and mile 10 of hanging it up on the bus and shortening the commute. This makes it possible for me
to be home by the time the kids get out of school during the school year. It also provides incentive
when the weather is really nasty. I might not want to ride 15 miles when it's horizontally sleeting
and 35 degrees, but I can eke out 5 no problem, and then warm up a little on the bus.

> About how long would it take?

Depends on how hilly the ride is, and how many lights and traffic you have to contend with. My ride
is relatively hilly -- only one flat section -- and is somewhat more downhill in to work and uphill
for the way back. The first time I rode it home, it took me one hour and forty minutes. Now, it's
more like an hour on the way in, an hour and fifteen on the way back.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected])

Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >How do you deal with no bike lanes?
>
> The short answer is by operating as a car or motorcycle would in similar conditions, by taking the
> lane--all of it--and using appropriate signals.

Take the lane, when appropriate. Not necessarily all the time.

Pete

>Take the lane, when appropriate. Not necessarily all the time.

True. My bad.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

[email protected] (Jeffrey Pogodzinski) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of buying a road bike to commute to work every day.
>
> Would 15 miles each way be too far?
>
> I am in pretty good shape but new to biking.
>
> About how long would it take?
>
> How fast (average speed) can the average beginner go on a road bike?
>
> Thanks, Jeff.

My commute used to 15 miles one way (it is longer now). If you are in good shape it shouldn't take
much more than an hour, unless the hills are terrible. If it helps, once I got into it, I would go a
couple of months without ever driving my car to work.

You may try riding on a weekend to check out the best (safest) route. The safest route is not always
the shortest. Also, if you live in a major city, you may find some streets with wide bike lanes are
not always too safe if they cross a freeway. At rush hour the traffic getting on and off can make
even a marked bike lane dangerous.

The best way to stay alive while riding in traffic is **be more alert than the motorists**.

But don't let this discourage you. Enjoy.

Tom

Zoot Katz wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>And remains quite consistent. I think that's one great advantage of bicycle commuting.

And looking like a FRED. I think that's one great disadvantage of bicycle commuting.

Why do you types have to wear **** and ride junkers?

What makes me angry about you guys is that the general public sees you every day and gets the
impression all cyclist ride hybrids or other lamers and wear dorky gear from those general
bike shops.

I'm devoting all my time to putting forward the image and lifestyle of the euro pro and you types
are ruining that for me.

Jeffrey Pogodzinski wrote:
> I will try a test run this weekend. The only thing I do not like is the lack of bicycle lanes or a
> shoulder on some parts of my ride that can not be avoided.
>
> How do you deal with no bike lanes?

No bike lane and no shoulder--take the lane. Narrow shoulder (less than 3 feet)--take the lane. Wide
paved shoulder (5 feet or more)--ride the shoulder; it's practically a bike lane. 3-5 foot
shoulder--Use your judgment.

Luckily for me, I seldomly have to deal with this. Most roads where I ride either have bike lanes or
very wide right lanes. I don't much like taking the lane but I do it when it makes sense; even if it
does infuriate some drivers.

> I have a mountain bike -- Giant ATX 890 -- it has knobby tires.
>
> Should I buy some smooth tires before I try it?

I highly recomend them; especially given the distance. They will make you faster. It's very
noticable.

Cheap ones here:

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=121&subcategory=1084&storetype=&estoreid=&init=y
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/subcategory.cfm?Cat_ID=22&Sub_ID=5430

I would tend to go with this one: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=2314 It's
cheap, kevlar and handles high pressure for an ATB tire (45-90psi). Higher pressure means lower
rolling resistance which means you go faster. It also means a harsher ride but given the distance
you're covering, I'd think you'd welcome any reduction in the commute time.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

>What makes me angry about you guys is that the general public sees you every day and gets the
>impression all cyclist ride hybrids or other lamers and wear dorky gear from those general
>bike shops.

It's actually worse than that, Mayonnaise. Some of those nimrods are roadies that have started
buying their gear from Chinese surplus shops and so forth. Oh, the shame.

>I'm devoting all my time to putting forward the image and lifestyle of the euro pro and you types
>are ruining that for me.

Well, we have to get to work and so forth.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Claire
Petersky) wrote:

> Depends on how hilly the ride is, and how many lights and traffic you have to contend with. My
> ride is relatively hilly -- only one flat section -- and is somewhat more downhill in to work and
> uphill for the way back.

Oddly enough, my commute (26 mi one-way and a max of 3x week) is uphill and into the wind in both
directions. Or maybe that's just me.

In article <[email protected]>, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> writes:

>>I'm devoting all my time to putting forward the image and lifestyle of the euro pro and you types
>>are ruining that for me.
>
> Well, we have to get to work and so forth.

Not to mention getting to the bowling alleys, bingo halls, beer stores, thrift shops, walk-in
clinics, employment centers, and those "general" bike shops.

cheers, Tom