Is 15 mile road bike commute too far?

• Thread starter Jeffrey Pogodzi
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
On 4 Aug 2003 16:22:42 -0700, Jeffrey Pogodzinski <[email protected]> wrote:
> How do you deal with no bike lanes?

Possible strategies: -- Ride far enough into the road that automotive drivers must use the
opposite lane to pass -- Take a different road -- Try to leave space and get really scared and
probably killed

> I have a mountain bike -- Giant ATX 890 -- it has knobby tires. Should I buy some smooth tires
> before I try it?

Yes, yes, and more yes. Slicks, or semi-slicks. I've had good (and fast) experience with these:
http://www.lickbike.com/i1837050.htm though I don't know if that's a good place to get them.

Even better, try to get your hands on a road bike to do your test ride on.

> Jeff.
--
Rick Onanian

[email protected] (Jeffrey Pogodzinski) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I am thinking of buying a road bike to commute to work every day.

Excellent

> Would 15 miles each way be too far?

No -- that's about my commute. One thing that I have going for me that you might not have is a bus
route that more or less parallels 10 miles of it on the freeway. I have the option at mile 5/6, mile
8, and mile 10 of hanging it up on the bus and shortening the commute. This makes it possible for me
to be home by the time the kids get out of school during the school year. It also provides incentive
when the weather is really nasty. I might not want to ride 15 miles when it's horizontally sleeting
and 35 degrees, but I can eke out 5 no problem, and then warm up a little on the bus.

> About how long would it take?

Depends on how hilly the ride is, and how many lights and traffic you have to contend with. My ride
is relatively hilly -- only one flat section -- and is somewhat more downhill in to work and uphill
for the way back. The first time I rode it home, it took me one hour and forty minutes. Now, it's
more like an hour on the way in, an hour and fifteen on the way back.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected])

Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >How do you deal with no bike lanes?
>
> The short answer is by operating as a car or motorcycle would in similar conditions, by taking the
> lane--all of it--and using appropriate signals.

Take the lane, when appropriate. Not necessarily all the time.

Pete

>Take the lane, when appropriate. Not necessarily all the time.

True. My bad.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of buying a road bike to commute to work every day.
>
> Would 15 miles each way be too far?
>
> I am in pretty good shape but new to biking.
>
> About how long would it take?
>
> How fast (average speed) can the average beginner go on a road bike?
>
> Thanks, Jeff.

My commute used to 15 miles one way (it is longer now). If you are in good shape it shouldn't take
much more than an hour, unless the hills are terrible. If it helps, once I got into it, I would go a
couple of months without ever driving my car to work.

You may try riding on a weekend to check out the best (safest) route. The safest route is not always
the shortest. Also, if you live in a major city, you may find some streets with wide bike lanes are
not always too safe if they cross a freeway. At rush hour the traffic getting on and off can make
even a marked bike lane dangerous.

The best way to stay alive while riding in traffic is **be more alert than the motorists**.

But don't let this discourage you. Enjoy.

Tom

Zoot Katz wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>And remains quite consistent. I think that's one great advantage of bicycle commuting.

And looking like a FRED. I think that's one great disadvantage of bicycle commuting.

Why do you types have to wear **** and ride junkers?

What makes me angry about you guys is that the general public sees you every day and gets the
impression all cyclist ride hybrids or other lamers and wear dorky gear from those general
bike shops.

I'm devoting all my time to putting forward the image and lifestyle of the euro pro and you types
are ruining that for me.

Jeffrey Pogodzinski wrote:
> I will try a test run this weekend. The only thing I do not like is the lack of bicycle lanes or a
> shoulder on some parts of my ride that can not be avoided.
>

No bike lane and no shoulder--take the lane. Narrow shoulder (less than 3 feet)--take the lane. Wide
paved shoulder (5 feet or more)--ride the shoulder; it's practically a bike lane. 3-5 foot
shoulder--Use your judgment.

Luckily for me, I seldomly have to deal with this. Most roads where I ride either have bike lanes or
very wide right lanes. I don't much like taking the lane but I do it when it makes sense; even if it
does infuriate some drivers.

> I have a mountain bike -- Giant ATX 890 -- it has knobby tires.
>
> Should I buy some smooth tires before I try it?

I highly recomend them; especially given the distance. They will make you faster. It's very
noticable.

Cheap ones here:

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=121&subcategory=1084&storetype=&estoreid=&init=y
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/subcategory.cfm?Cat_ID=22&Sub_ID=5430

I would tend to go with this one: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=2314 It's
cheap, kevlar and handles high pressure for an ATB tire (45-90psi). Higher pressure means lower
rolling resistance which means you go faster. It also means a harsher ride but given the distance
you're covering, I'd think you'd welcome any reduction in the commute time.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

>What makes me angry about you guys is that the general public sees you every day and gets the
>impression all cyclist ride hybrids or other lamers and wear dorky gear from those general
>bike shops.

It's actually worse than that, Mayonnaise. Some of those nimrods are roadies that have started
buying their gear from Chinese surplus shops and so forth. Oh, the shame.

>I'm devoting all my time to putting forward the image and lifestyle of the euro pro and you types
>are ruining that for me.

Well, we have to get to work and so forth.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Claire
Petersky) wrote:

> Depends on how hilly the ride is, and how many lights and traffic you have to contend with. My
> ride is relatively hilly -- only one flat section -- and is somewhat more downhill in to work and
> uphill for the way back.

Oddly enough, my commute (26 mi one-way and a max of 3x week) is uphill and into the wind in both
directions. Or maybe that's just me.

In article <[email protected]>, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> writes:

>>I'm devoting all my time to putting forward the image and lifestyle of the euro pro and you types
>>are ruining that for me.
>
> Well, we have to get to work and so forth.

Not to mention getting to the bowling alleys, bingo halls, beer stores, thrift shops, walk-in
clinics, employment centers, and those "general" bike shops.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

[email protected] (Thomas Reynolds) wrote:

<< You may try riding on a weekend to check out the best (safest) route. The safest route is not
always the shortest. >>

this is some of the best advice I have read on this NG in a long time. I would say that the safest
route is rarely the shortest. And the most enjoyable route is rarely the shortest. And the route of
your bike commute is likely to be quite different from the route of your car commute.

Note to OP: all this advice about "taking the lane," popular though it may be to repeat, needs to be
taken with a serious grain of salt. The road you have described (50mph no shoulder) is one of the
worst types of roads for cycling. Attempting to "take the lane" here could very well cause more
problems than it solves. Things could get very nasty depending on how busy the road is in both
directions, what time of day it is, what the culture of traffic is in your area, what drivers are
used to in terms of the traditional use of the road over the years, etc. If this road is anything
like some of the roads I have had to ride at certain unlucky periods in my life (I imagine a very
narrow busy 2-lane road w/ zero shoulder) I would say avoid it if at all possible. There is no good
way to deal with such a road. Taking a lane is no magic cure-all. The rider is left with only bad
choices and unsavory trade-offs.

Be careful out there. Don't forget to watch for cars coming at you in the wrong lane. Also, some
people find eyeglass mirrors to be very helpful on this type of road.

Robert

[email protected] (Jeffrey Pogodzinski) wrote:

> Thank you all for your suggestions!

I would reiterate that you'd be happier w/ inverted tread (like a car) tires vs. knobbies. I have
some kenda 1.9" tires i run at 80 pounds, muuch faster than any knobbies!

Make sure you have the ability to fix a flat should you have one on the way. I carry an inflator,
spare tube and a patch kit and levers.

> I will try a test run this weekend.

Excellent idea!

Sometimes adding a mile or three to your ride can be worth it if it keeps you off of the Indy 500
amateur practice track. Think (no gagging) outside of the box -- i greatly simplified my commute
after discovering an abandoned railroad bridge that crosses the interstate, I-88, just west of the
Fox River in Illinois. Sometimes cutting through a parking lot can simplify things, too.

Take your time on the ride, if you're feeling time pressure, just leave earlier. It's a lot easier
and safer.

.max enjoy!

--
the part of <[email protected]> was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

Jeffrey Pogodzinski wrote:
>
>
> I will try a test run this weekend. The only thing I do not like is the lack of bicycle lanes or a
>
>
>

As others have stated, you should "take the lane" and invest in some road tires for your MTB.

Being more assertive as a bicycle road vehicle takes a little getting used to, but sometimes the
worst thing you can do is shyly pedal along a busy road with no shoulder a mere pedals length away
from the curb. Get out at least a couple feet or more from the curb. Some drivers might not like it
but tough luck.

No need to run yourself into a storm drain with the cover on the "wrong way", or pothole or piece of
muffler or nails or glass...or clipped by some driver with poor depth perception, just so some
impatient motorist won't lose 5 seconds waiting for an opportunity to pass you safely!

One other consideration: Design your route as *a bicyclist* rather than a motorist.

You might be surprised to find that alternate, possibly longer or less direct routes by bicycle
don't have the time penalties they would in a car.

SMH

Erik Freitag <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Claire
>Petersky) wrote:
>
>> Depends on how hilly the ride is, and how many lights and traffic you have to contend with. My
>> ride is relatively hilly -- only one flat section -- and is somewhat more downhill in to work and
>> uphill for the way back.
>
>Oddly enough, my commute (26 mi one-way and a max of 3x week) is uphill and into the wind in both
>directions. Or maybe that's just me.

It shouldn't be a problem - after all, your miles are shorter than ours... oh, and I hear that in
the southern hemisphere, the rides are all downhill and with the wind in both directions. That must
make it hard on those Aussie sprinters in the Tour!

;-)

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Zoot Katz wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>>And remains quite consistent. I think that's one great advantage of bicycle commuting.
>
>And looking like a FRED. I think that's one great disadvantage of bicycle commuting.
>
>Why do you types have to wear **** and ride junkers?
>
>What makes me angry about you guys is that the general public sees you every day and gets the
>impression all cyclist ride hybrids or other lamers and wear dorky gear from those general
>bike shops.
>
>I'm devoting all my time to putting forward the image and lifestyle of the euro pro and you types
>are ruining that for me.

Far from it, Fab! I always tried to maintain proper kit level when riding to work. Sure, that meant
I had to drive my clothes in every couple weeks, but I was able to look marvelous on my way to work.
And the best part was I could cruise around the parking lot for a while when I got there so all the
folks who drive to work (the shame!) could see how it should be done.

I did have to compromise a little and ride MTB shoes and pedals, but made sure they looked like
"real road shoes" so I wouldn't have to listen to the "tsk, tsk, tsk" from the Real Roadies
[tm] I passed.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:47:51 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> from Habanero Cycles wrote:

>
>I did have to compromise a little and ride MTB shoes and pedals, but made sure they looked like
>"real road shoes" so I wouldn't have to listen to the "tsk, tsk, tsk" from the Real Roadies [tm]
>I passed.

If you're wearing the new Oakley Plate glasses as featured on page 106 of this month's ProCycling,
you can get away with almost anything.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace

2:05:19 PM 5 August 2003

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:22:13 GMT, Erik Freitag <[email protected]> wrote:
> Oddly enough, my commute (26 mi one-way and a max of 3x week) is uphill and into the wind in both
> directions. Or maybe that's just me.

Sounds like every ride in my area. You live in East Greenwich, RI?

--
Rick Onanian

That's a pretty long ride if you're working in the middle of that commute. A road bike would be
best, but be sure to add fenders, lights and a rack.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc. http://OldRoads.com

>Hi,
>
>I am thinking of buying a road bike to commute to work every day.
>
>Would 15 miles each way be too far?
>
>I am in pretty good shape but new to biking.
>
>About how long would it take?
>
>How fast (average speed) can the average beginner go on a road bike?
>
>Thanks, Jeff.
>
>
>

>
>
>
>
>
> Jeff.

Hi Jeff, I commuted for a while on a mountain bike with knobby tires and it was fine. However once I
replaced the tires with slicks I was much happier
- I could go faster with less effort.

You don't need bike lanes to ride on the road. You should ride vehicularly - the same as you would
drive a car, with the exception that you keep as far to the right as practicable. Which is usually
about 3 feet out from the curb - if you hug the curb you will get the impression that cars are out
to kill you as they whiz by and leave you minimal room, and its nice not to ride over storm sewers
etc. If there is not sufficient room for a bicycle and a car in the same lane then ride in the
center of the lane so cars need to change lanes in order to pass, rather than give the impression
there might be room.

You may need to try a couple of routes before you find one you like. I have a different route going
to work and coming home because of what works out best for uphill vs. downhill and also for traffic
patterns at different times of the day.

Here's some ideas for picking routes:
1. residential roads - when you are a beginner these will seem attractive as they are less
trafficked. However those speed bumps and stop signs designed to slow traffic through the
neighbourhoods will slow you down too, so its a quietness vs. speed tradeoff. They also may
require more turns and not as direct of a straight line.
2. minor arterials - find the road that you would pick if you were a car and look at what is
parallel to it. Often these are good choices since they go straight through, have traffic lights
instead of stop signs. But they may be less attractive to cars because they have less lanes
slowing down the speed - bad for them, good for you.
3. speed limits and effective speeds - the slower the cars go the more comfortable it is to share
the road with them. So choose roads with lower speed limits, or roads that are more congested.
While picking busier roads may seem counterintuitive, congestion can slow traffic down to biking
speed - perfect :) Generally roads with high speed limits, not so wide lanes, no shoulder and
frequent traffic should be avoided. On low frequency traffic roads with high speeds (such as
country roads) the low traffic makes it easy for faster traffic to pass.
4. Width of roads - wider lanes make it easier to share bike and cars in one lane without any
conflict. (its like having a bike lane but without the white stripe) However wider lane roads
also tend to move faster (see point 3)

To get respect from motorists, be assertive (but not aggressive), have courteousy for cars but don't
assume that you have to move for them either, signal your turns, stop for all traffic lights (even
with no cars coming)

If there are other cyclists in your area, or some kind of local group with email, they are great
resources to ask about route planning. You may find out shortcuts you never knew existed.

Be sure to have good front and rear lights when riding at night - visibility is important! You never
know when you might have to stay late at work so even if you don't think you'll be riding after dark
they are good insurance.

As for the distance - If you live somewhere with decent public transit that you can take your
bicycle on, you could try doing a half bike and half transit if you find the distance to be much. Or
if there is somewhere you can park your car conveniently halfway if you drive you can do a half
drive half bike. It may take a while before your commute feels easy enough to do every day.

HTH Tanya

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:22:13 GMT, Erik Freitag <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Oddly enough, my commute (26 mi one-way and a max of 3x week) is uphill and into the wind in
> > both directions. Or maybe that's just me.
>
> Sounds like every ride in my area. You live in East Greenwich, RI?

Depending on what time I go out, it's easy to get the wind against you both directions in
Narragansett. If I start out going norte around noon or so, by the time I turn around, the sea
breeze has filled in from the south and I'm riding into it again.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

Status
Not open for further replies.