Is 1990's Specialized Epic frameset all carbon fiber?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Terry Morrow, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Terry Morrow

    Terry Morrow Guest

    does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon fiber
    (with aluminum lugs) OR are only the 3 main tubes (seat, down, and top tubes) carbon fiber and the
    seat and chain stays aluminum? i know the stock fork is aluminum. any help appreciated. please reply
    directly to me at [email protected] or [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "terry morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
    > fiber (with aluminum lugs) OR are only the 3 main tubes (seat, down, and top tubes) carbon fiber
    > and the seat and chain stays aluminum? i know the stock fork is aluminum. any help appreciated.
    > please reply directly to me at [email protected] or [email protected]

    I'm fairly certain that at least SOME of the early Specialized Epic's were all carbon fibre because
    the aluminum brake bridge broke out on 2 of the ones I worked on. If I can recall (this is 10 years
    ago...), the bridge was alu and the seatstays were CF. I'm thinking this because the stays were
    black a'la CF, not alu colour.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. Kyle.B.H

    Kyle.B.H Guest

    Mine was all CF.

    "terry morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
    > fiber (with aluminum lugs) OR are only the 3 main tubes (seat, down, and top tubes) carbon fiber
    > and the seat and chain stays aluminum? i know the stock fork is aluminum. any help appreciated.
    > please reply directly to me at [email protected] or [email protected]

  4. J.Jonge

    J.Jonge Guest

    I have the frame here and it is all carbon with the aluminium brake bridge as discribed by scott.

    Jan.

  5. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    terry morrow wrote:

    > does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
    > fiber (with aluminum lugs)

    Just to add to the chorus, mine was all CF with aluminum lugs. I use the past tense because galvanic
    corrosion between the Al and CF put the frame to rest a few years back.

    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On 24 Jan 2004 17:35:43 -0800, [email protected] (terry morrow)
    wrote:

    >does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
    >fiber (with aluminum lugs) OR are only the 3 main tubes (seat, down, and top tubes) carbon fiber
    >and the seat and chain stays aluminum? i know the stock fork is aluminum. any help appreciated.
    >please reply directly to me at [email protected] or [email protected]

    It's all carbon. I still have mine in very good condition after many thousand miles and it's still
    the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

  7. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "dvt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > terry morrow wrote:
    >
    > > does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
    > > fiber (with aluminum lugs)
    >
    > Just to add to the chorus, mine was all CF with aluminum lugs. I use the past tense because
    > galvanic corrosion between the Al and CF put the frame to rest a few years back.

    All four of mine were also all carbon. Two came apart at the seattube-bottom bracket juncture, one
    was replaced before it could fail due to the galvanic corrosion you describe, and the fourth I sold
    w/o ever building it up.

    BTW, I think these frames were built by Giant...

    Andy Coggan

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
    >fiber (with aluminum lugs) OR are only the 3 main tubes (seat, down, and top tubes) carbon fiber
    >and the seat and chain stays aluminum? i know the stock fork is aluminum. any help appreciated.
    >please reply directly to me at [email protected] or [email protected]

    All the tubes were carbon. I've owned two of these, and I like this frame a lot.
    Alex

  9. Kyle.B.H

    Kyle.B.H Guest

    Just to add to the "how mine failed" chorus. My seat binder lug cracked 6 years into its life, and
    Specialized gave me a brand new M4 Pro - a bit stiffer. Nice bike, but really tight rear wheel
    clearance (some 23's wouldn't fit), and I bought it (a 58cm) before I knew squat about sizing (I
    ride a 61 now).

    Kyle