Is 1990's Specialized Epic frameset all carbon fiber?

Terry Morrow

Guest
does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon fiber
(with aluminum lugs) OR are only the 3 main tubes (seat, down, and top tubes) carbon fiber and the
seat and chain stays aluminum? i know the stock fork is aluminum. any help appreciated. please reply
directly to me at [email protected] or [email protected]

"terry morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
> fiber (with aluminum lugs) OR are only the 3 main tubes (seat, down, and top tubes) carbon fiber
> and the seat and chain stays aluminum? i know the stock fork is aluminum. any help appreciated.
> please reply directly to me at [email protected] or [email protected]

I'm fairly certain that at least SOME of the early Specialized Epic's were all carbon fibre because
the aluminum brake bridge broke out on 2 of the ones I worked on. If I can recall (this is 10 years
ago...), the bridge was alu and the seatstays were CF. I'm thinking this because the stays were
black a'la CF, not alu colour.

Cheers,

Scott..

Mine was all CF.

"terry morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
> fiber (with aluminum lugs) OR are only the 3 main tubes (seat, down, and top tubes) carbon fiber
> and the seat and chain stays aluminum? i know the stock fork is aluminum. any help appreciated.
> please reply directly to me at [email protected] or [email protected]

I have the frame here and it is all carbon with the aluminium brake bridge as discribed by scott.

Jan.

terry morrow wrote:

> does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
> fiber (with aluminum lugs)

Just to add to the chorus, mine was all CF with aluminum lugs. I use the past tense because galvanic
corrosion between the Al and CF put the frame to rest a few years back.

Dave dvt at psu dot edu

On 24 Jan 2004 17:35:43 -0800, [email protected] (terry morrow)
wrote:

>does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
>fiber (with aluminum lugs) OR are only the 3 main tubes (seat, down, and top tubes) carbon fiber
>and the seat and chain stays aluminum? i know the stock fork is aluminum. any help appreciated.
>please reply directly to me at [email protected] or [email protected]

It's all carbon. I still have mine in very good condition after many thousand miles and it's still
the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

"dvt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> terry morrow wrote:
>
> > does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
> > fiber (with aluminum lugs)
>
> Just to add to the chorus, mine was all CF with aluminum lugs. I use the past tense because
> galvanic corrosion between the Al and CF put the frame to rest a few years back.

All four of mine were also all carbon. Two came apart at the seattube-bottom bracket juncture, one
was replaced before it could fail due to the galvanic corrosion you describe, and the fourth I sold
w/o ever building it up.

BTW, I think these frames were built by Giant...

Andy Coggan

>does anyone know if the circa early 1990's Specialized Epic road bike framesets are all carbon
>fiber (with aluminum lugs) OR are only the 3 main tubes (seat, down, and top tubes) carbon fiber
>and the seat and chain stays aluminum? i know the stock fork is aluminum. any help appreciated.
>please reply directly to me at [email protected] or [email protected]

All the tubes were carbon. I've owned two of these, and I like this frame a lot.
Alex

Just to add to the "how mine failed" chorus. My seat binder lug cracked 6 years into its life, and
Specialized gave me a brand new M4 Pro - a bit stiffer. Nice bike, but really tight rear wheel
clearance (some 23's wouldn't fit), and I bought it (a 58cm) before I knew squat about sizing (I
ride a 61 now).

Kyle