Is 2003 Campy Chorus BB Compatible with 2003 Centaur triple cranks?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by George, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. George

    George Guest

    Getting a new bike with component options. Looking at Campy Centaur gruppo but I have heard the
    Chorus BB is much better.

    Can a Chorus BB be used on Centaur triple cranks?

    Tags:

  2. No, I don't believe so. The Chorus is 102mm and you will need a longer one to accomadate the triple
    - like a 111 mm. which I believe the Centaur BB would be.

    "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Getting a new bike with component options. Looking at Campy Centaur gruppo but I have heard the
    > Chorus BB is much better.
    >
    > Can a Chorus BB be used on Centaur triple cranks?

  3. george-<< Getting a new bike with component options. Looking at Campy Centaur gruppo but I have
    heard the Chorus BB is much better.

    Can a Chorus BB be used on Centaur triple cranks?

    The Chorus triple BB 'may' work with a Centaur triple crank...depends on the frameset, size of stays
    and seattube. The length of the spindle on the right isn't the problem but Chorus and Record are not
    symmetrical so the elft arm will be farther in using a Cnetaur with Chorus..BUT the AC-H BB is a
    really nice one, just heavier than the Chorus.

  4. garv-<< No, I don't believe so. The Chorus is 102mm and you will need a longer one to accomadate the
    triple - like a 111 mm. which I believe the Centaur BB would be.

    For info-Campagnolo also makes a 111mm not symmetrical triple BB for 2003-for use in the Record
    triple crank-

  5. George

    George Guest

    On 28 Mar 2003 13:40:03 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    So stick with the stock Centaur BB then from what you are saying. Correct?

    >george-<< Getting a new bike with component options. Looking at Campy Centaur gruppo but I have
    >heard the Chorus BB is much better.
    >
    >Can a Chorus BB be used on Centaur triple cranks?
    >
    >The Chorus triple BB 'may' work with a Centaur triple crank...depends on the frameset, size of
    >stays and seattube. The length of the spindle on the right isn't the problem but Chorus and Record
    >are not symmetrical so the elft arm will be farther in using a Cnetaur with Chorus..BUT the AC-H BB
    >is a really nice one, just heavier than the Chorus.
    >

    >Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    >(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Getting a new bike with component options. Looking at Campy Centaur gruppo but I have heard the
    > Chorus BB is much better.
    >
    > Can a Chorus BB be used on Centaur triple cranks?

    The Chorus BB is available in lengths up to 111 asymmetric. Centaur doubles and triples use a 111
    symmetric spindle. It is possible that you could get a Centaur crank on a Chorus Triple BB into some
    roughly acceptable chainline.

    But why?

    "Much better" is a bit nebulous here. The recommended unit, Campagnolo's ACH, works fine and costs
    pennies (OK, under thirty bucks). A bike with an ACH is no slower than a Chorus BB bike! If you need
    something to obsess over, why not choose a part which might make your bike more fun, like a set of
    tires? Or more comfortable, like a new saddle? Or prettier, like some new tape? Or clean up a
    friend's bike so you'll have someone to ride with? Any of those might well be "much better" than the
    wrong size BB!

  7. George

    George Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:59:58 -0600, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    Good answer lol. I asked because I had read that the Centaur BB was a weak point in the Centaur
    Daytona lineup. From the responses it seems I was wrong.

    Finally decided on my new bike though and it will be Shimano Ultegra double crank. The Giant TCR1
    Composite.

    Thanks for the replies.

    >"George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Getting a new bike with component options. Looking at Campy Centaur gruppo but I have heard the
    >> Chorus BB is much better.
    >>
    >> Can a Chorus BB be used on Centaur triple cranks?
    >
    >The Chorus BB is available in lengths up to 111 asymmetric. Centaur doubles and triples use a 111
    >symmetric spindle. It is possible that you could get a Centaur crank on a Chorus Triple BB into
    >some roughly acceptable chainline.
    >
    >But why?
    >
    >"Much better" is a bit nebulous here. The recommended unit, Campagnolo's ACH, works fine and costs
    >pennies (OK, under thirty bucks). A bike with an ACH is no slower than a Chorus BB bike! If you
    >need something to obsess over, why not choose a part which might make your bike more fun, like a
    >set of tires? Or more comfortable, like a new saddle? Or prettier, like some new tape? Or clean up
    >a friend's bike so you'll have someone to ride with? Any of those might well be "much better" than
    >the wrong size BB!

  8. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    > "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Getting a new bike with component options. Looking at Campy Centaur gruppo but I have heard the
    > > Chorus BB is much better.
    > >
    > > Can a Chorus BB be used on Centaur triple cranks?

    Not being negative here but you will need a good special tool to torque the Centaur unit tight. That
    costs >$20. I will only use Chorus/Record since the Centaur BB scalloped notches slip even easier
    than my Dura Ace square notches.

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Getting a new bike with component options. Looking at Campy Centaur gruppo but I have heard
    > > > the Chorus BB is much better.
    > > >
    > > > Can a Chorus BB be used on Centaur triple cranks?

    "Richard Chan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Not being negative here but you will need a good special tool to torque the Centaur unit tight.
    > That costs >$20. I will only use Chorus/Record since the Centaur BB scalloped notches slip even
    > easier than my Dura Ace square notches.

    I hear you. I used to whine similarly before I got the full series (4) of the wonderful and cheap
    Tacx BB cup tools. They are Shimano, Campagnolo Chorus/Record, Campagnolo ACH, and loopy Shimano
    with the big spindle.

    Raleigh has a Taiwanese-made house brand tool for DA lockrings that is well made and dirt cheap too.