Is 40 too old??

jsirabella

Jan 1, 2005
Hi All,

Is 40 years too old to try and get into some road racing or even time trials? never did either on that level but do they break them up by age group and where is a good place to go to learn the basics of how to get started on the web?

Thanks all...

-js

god I hope not!

I am only 30 and battle with the "too old" bug... but seriously, it all depends on your level of fitness; I can ride circles around guys much younger than I, and the "pro" at my LBS has to be in his mid 40s and could kick my a$$. Just ride, man... age is what you make of it.

jsirabella said:
Hi All,

Is 40 years too old to try and get into some road racing or even time trials? never did either on that level but do they break them up by age group and where is a good place to go to learn the basics of how to get started on the web?

Thanks all...

-js
There are some seriously fast 40-something guys in my area. Guys in their late-40s kick my ass regularly (I'm 37) and also place top-10 in local races.

Look for a Master's race series in your area. We have one and it's nice to not race against 20-year olds.

we've got a guy in the UK, Roger Iddles, 61 years of age, just set the over 60's 10 mile TT record...19:53

Not that many people of any age will do a sub 20 minute 10 in a season!

the oldest guy i ever saw in a (50 mile) TT was 84, admittedly he took his time, but it just goes to show, youre never too old until youre dead.

jsirabella said:
Hi All,

Thanks all...

-js

AS Robkit says there are guys well in to their 60's who are very very fit and very very quick even by national standards who are competing.

We use the term "veteran" here for cyclists who are over 35 : and are categorised within that.
But Veteran can be anything from 35-65 and some of these guys are going faster than guys who have Senior licences (guys in their late 20's/early 30's).

If you are thinking of racing - I am assuming that you're fit ????

I thought about racing again after hitting 9,000 miles training so far this year.
What is preventing me from doing so is the thought of racing again in the bunch.
I do most of my training alone but with all this mileage part of me wants to race again.
The thought of making a fool of myself isn't what's preventing me - I suppose it's the slight doubt in mind mind about crashing and injuring myself is what's holding me back.

But I say if you're fit enough - go for it !

limerickman said:
AS Robkit says there are guys well in to their 60's who are very very fit and very very quick even by national standards who are competing.

We use the term "veteran" here for cyclists who are over 35 : and are categorised within that.
But Veteran can be anything from 35-65 and some of these guys are going faster than guys who have Senior licences (guys in their late 20's/early 30's).

I thought about racing again after hitting 9,000 miles training so far this year.
What is preventing me from doing so is the thought of racing again in the bunch.
I do most of my training alone but with all this mileage part of me wants to race again.
The thought of making a fool of myself isn't what's preventing me - I suppose it's the slight doubt in mind mind about crashing and injuring myself is what's holding me back.

I am 39 and i am not thinking about quitting. On Tuesday i start preparation for the next season, 10 days of climbing in the Sierra Nevada (Andalucia, Spain) and in the coming year (i will be 40..) i will do a tour through the Alpes (don`t know which one yet). The only thing that changed is that it all changed a bid, nowadays i am faster in the mountains, slower on a flat track....

limerickman said:
I found your wordage in this post interesting ........ You wrote " after hitting 9,000 miles training" ..... You were a competitor at one time. A rider who never competed would have phrased it " after riding 9,000 miles". Once a competitor you can never just go for a ride, we are always training. We fool ourselves. Sure we 'say' we are out just for a ride, but in the back of our mind we are "training."
Like you, racing is at the back of my mind. And I have the same doubts as you as far as crashing and the injuries. I thought it would be interesting though to dust off my vintage Bob Jackson and ride with toeclips. I prefer toeclips anyway. Show up at the start line in 1970's gear.
This past year I have been riding fixed gear. I started doing it to increase my pedaling cadence "just in case I start riding the velodrome again." Then I noticed that the new thing in cycling is riding fixed. I was part of a culture and I did not realize it.

wolfix said:
I found your wordage in this post interesting ........ You wrote " after hitting 9,000 miles training" ..... You were a competitor at one time. A rider who never competed would have phrased it " after riding 9,000 miles". Once a competitor you can never just go for a ride, we are always training. We fool ourselves. Sure we 'say' we are out just for a ride, but in the back of our mind we are "training."
Like you, racing is at the back of my mind. And I have the same doubts as you as far as crashing and the injuries. I thought it would be interesting though to dust off my vintage Bob Jackson and ride with toeclips. I prefer toeclips anyway. Show up at the start line in 1970's gear.
This past year I have been riding fixed gear. I started doing it to increase my pedaling cadence "just in case I start riding the velodrome again." Then I noticed that the new thing in cycling is riding fixed. I was part of a culture and I did not realize it.

I do view it as training - I suppose.
Training for what though ? I deliberately put a target of 12,000 in one year
as an objective.
I don't know why I put that target up - maybe doing the Etape a few years back has influenced me.

So you're like me - you like the sensation of cycling/training but you're reluctant to risk riding (and possibly crashing) in a bunch.
Maybe it's age with me but that is what is preventing me from racing.
But the paradox for me is that I have got a lot of miles in and it would be a shame to waste them.

I would probably get stuffed in a race - but that wouldn't bother me.
I don't mind being beaten knowing that I've put in a good effort training.
But it's the old crash mentality with me.

So Wolf, why not dust down the bike and go out and compete ?
You could surprise yourself - and sure at this stage guys like you and me are in it for the pure enjoyment of cycling a bike.
If you do decide to go back - can you keep us posted as to how you get on ?
I'd be very interested to read about any late 30/early 40 returnees.

cyclingheroes said:
I am 39 and i am not thinking about quitting. On Tuesday i start preparation for the next season, 10 days of climbing in the Sierra Nevada (Andalucia, Spain) and in the coming year (i will be 40..) i will do a tour through the Alpes (don`t know which one yet). The only thing that changed is that it all changed a bid, nowadays i am faster in the mountains, slower on a flat track....

Good for you CH : you're obviously getting in plenty of training.
Sierra Nevada is good climbing country (if I recall Carlos Sastre and the late Jose Maria Jimenez are from that part of the Spain).

And you're right - just because you're 39/40/50 !, that is no reason to stop
pedalling and competing !

I really do not know what is fit enough but I do consider myself fit...Let me tell you a story and try and make it short.

Broke ankle three years ago.. during recovery never knew how bad a shape I was in...went to gym...230 lbs...hired trainer .. down to 175 and lean but always feel i need to be 150 and no body fat...trainer differs...This is the best shape I have ever been in my life and I owe it to the gym and my bike.

Just this year started cycling again from when I was a messenger...goal to boston...did in two days...did another tour three days and have now done three centuries...between work commute and all else figure I did about 3,000 miles not sure if would be considered training.

I really not looking to win but just like my goal to get to Boston I just want to finish and not be a complete a$$...Do you think I have enough and if so should I go time trial or road race? People tell me time trial is better for beginner...

I have not done mountains in europe...just do not have the time since business and family but willing to do what I can...I do travel alot in business and may start to bring my bike.

Classic midlife last gap for youth or what??:D

-js

limerickman said:

Never too old!

I started this year at 35. Everything went really well for me in my first season. The big thing was just getting over the anxiety of competition. I have a background in team sports, where those anxieties are sort of diluted through the whole team; one can lurk in the background in hockey or soccer. Not so in cycling. That was the hardest thing for me, facing those performance anxieties. But once I did a few races, i found I wasn't nearly as nervous. And then, by the end of the season, I was perhaps a bit under-aroused!

At any rate, all the best in your endeavours. I can certainly understand the fears of crashing. As we get older, much more is at stake, family, work, etc. However, I think the perils of serious injury are in collision with vehicles.

Don't let it stop you!

limerickman said:
Good for you CH : you're obviously getting in plenty of training.
Sierra Nevada is good climbing country (if I recall Carlos Sastre and the late Jose Maria Jimenez are from that part of the Spain).

And you're right - just because you're 39/40/50 !, that is no reason to stop
pedalling and competing !
I am training about 2 - 3 times a year in the Sierra Nevada, the weather conditions are great, especially in Spring/Winter/Autum, in the summer it`s often too hot. You have plenty of different traing routes: you can start in the Montana de Malaga which isn`t very high and work your way up to the Sierra Nevada, which is definetly my favourite (mountain training) spot. Hostels are pretty cheap and from Germany (i am Dutch but i live in germany) you fly to Malaga for 29 euros. You can rent bikes in Malaga and Granada.

jsirabella said:
I really do not know what is fit enough but I do consider myself fit...Let me tell you a story and try and make it short.

Broke ankle three years ago.. during recovery never knew how bad a shape I was in...went to gym...230 lbs...hired trainer .. down to 175 and lean but always feel i need to be 150 and no body fat...trainer differs...This is the best shape I have ever been in my life and I owe it to the gym and my bike.

Just this year started cycling again from when I was a messenger...goal to boston...did in two days...did another tour three days and have now done three centuries...between work commute and all else figure I did about 3,000 miles not sure if would be considered training.

I really not looking to win but just like my goal to get to Boston I just want to finish and not be a complete a$$...Do you think I have enough and if so should I go time trial or road race? People tell me time trial is better for beginner...

I have not done mountains in europe...just do not have the time since business and family but willing to do what I can...I do travel alot in business and may start to bring my bike.

Classic midlife last gap for youth or what??:D

-js

3,000 miles is s very very good base.
I think you're better off doing what you're doing rather than time trialling but that's only my perspective.

As Catabolic says - one is never too old to start !

Know where on tghe internet you can find about different clubs and coaches??

OK I am convinced, my goal is to ride one race next year and not finish in the bottom 10%...

Now time to start the training...

-js

Catabolic_Jones said:
Never too old!

I started this year at 35. Everything went really well for me in my first season. The big thing was just getting over the anxiety of competition. I have a background in team sports, where those anxieties are sort of diluted through the whole team; one can lurk in the background in hockey or soccer. Not so in cycling. That was the hardest thing for me, facing those performance anxieties. But once I did a few races, i found I wasn't nearly as nervous. And then, by the end of the season, I was perhaps a bit under-aroused!

At any rate, all the best in your endeavours. I can certainly understand the fears of crashing. As we get older, much more is at stake, family, work, etc. However, I think the perils of serious injury are in collision with vehicles.

Don't let it stop you!

jsirabella...... I like your goal of not finishing at the bottom 10%. Greg LeMond suggests that when racing for the 1st time, just try to finish. In my 1st race , which was a crit, I was shocked at the speed from the outset. I was way off the back. Very disheartening. But then the clouds opened up and it started raining like crazy. Riders were going down all over. I was in my element. I ended up with a respectful finish, thanks to every one's bad luck.
What part of the planet do you live???? I have some good info on local clubs here in the states.

jsirabella said:
Is 40 years too old ...?
-js

That will depend on how much riding have done so far and what shape are you in.
I started to race this year (family and all, now kids are big = more time for me) at 41 and it is BLAST. Mind you I did ride for the last 10 years, but just on my own.
At my 40 birthday I decide it to go in to it more seriously.
1 -Join a local club and ride for a season with them to get comfortable riding in a group
2 - Learn as much about equipment and clothing (what is comfortable for you, which will allow you to put long miles in)
3 - Train in the off season and drop as much weight as you can without big diet.
4 - In training during off season work on your technic (pedaling, position, hardware tweaking and etc.)
5 - Go out and have fun racing. Amount of fun is in direct correlation with the shape you're in, better shape = faster recovery during race = less suffering = more fun.

Your local club will have all the info on racing licence, sched and where to go.

jsirabella said:
Hi All,

Thanks all...

-js
JS, 40 is definitely not too old. I'm 43 and ride my fixed-wheel in the occasional road race (raod races here in Borneo are very, very occasional). Most of my riding (training) is on my own, simply because there are bugger-all people riding here, and even fewer at the times when I can get to ride. I welcome the chance to ride in a bunch whenever it comes along.
Whilst time trials may seem like a good way to get started and provide a gauge to your fitness, I prefer road races for 2 reasons - (a) Road races show you how fast you really can go, whilst improving your bike handling skills and (b) I am (and always have been) a crappy time trialist.
Have a talk to your local bike shop (whoever gives you the best service) about racing and clubs. If there are any races with veteran classes, definitely give them a shot. All the vet's I know are friendly and helpful to newstarters. Whilst they are often very competitive, they tend to have gotten over the delusions of grandeur that many of us had when we were young whippersnappers.
Try it, JS - you'll like it (and, if for some reason you don't like it, no harm done).
Regards,
Eoin

I am sure the rain was not the only reason you finished well. I have found the person who wants to win the most usually does, all else being relatively equal.

I am located in NYC...any ideas of where I can go?

-js

wolfix said:
jsirabella...... I like your goal of not finishing at the bottom 10%. Greg LeMond suggests that when racing for the 1st time, just try to finish. In my 1st race , which was a crit, I was shocked at the speed from the outset. I was way off the back. Very disheartening. But then the clouds opened up and it started raining like crazy. Riders were going down all over. I was in my element. I ended up with a respectful finish, thanks to every one's bad luck.
What part of the planet do you live???? I have some good info on local clubs here in the states.

Thank you for the great advice. I need to get into a club and get a coach who is willing to work with someone my age and category. You have given inspiration especially given our similar situations...I have hope.

-js

ilija said:
That will depend on how much riding have done so far and what shape are you in.
I started to race this year (family and all, now kids are big = more time for me) at 41 and it is BLAST. Mind you I did ride for the last 10 years, but just on my own.
At my 40 birthday I decide it to go in to it more seriously.
1 -Join a local club and ride for a season with them to get comfortable riding in a group
2 - Learn as much about equipment and clothing (what is comfortable for you, which will allow you to put long miles in)
3 - Train in the off season and drop as much weight as you can without big diet.
4 - In training during off season work on your technic (pedaling, position, hardware tweaking and etc.)
5 - Go out and have fun racing. Amount of fun is in direct correlation with the shape you're in, better shape = faster recovery during race = less suffering = more fun.

Your local club will have all the info on racing licence, sched and where to go.

Never thought of asking my local bike shops...that is a great idea. Once I find a club and coach, I hope they can give me an idea what type of ride but I was already leaning towards roac racing given my style. Everytime I see the TT guys riding, they seem just too pretty and too precise for me. I give them credit though as they can move...

How are the roads where you ride?

-js

EoinC said:
JS, 40 is definitely not too old. I'm 43 and ride my fixed-wheel in the occasional road race (raod races here in Borneo are very, very occasional). Most of my riding (training) is on my own, simply because there are bugger-all people riding here, and even fewer at the times when I can get to ride. I welcome the chance to ride in a bunch whenever it comes along.
Whilst time trials may seem like a good way to get started and provide a gauge to your fitness, I prefer road races for 2 reasons - (a) Road races show you how fast you really can go, whilst improving your bike handling skills and (b) I am (and always have been) a crappy time trialist.
Have a talk to your local bike shop (whoever gives you the best service) about racing and clubs. If there are any races with veteran classes, definitely give them a shot. All the vet's I know are friendly and helpful to newstarters. Whilst they are often very competitive, they tend to have gotten over the delusions of grandeur that many of us had when we were young whippersnappers.
Try it, JS - you'll like it (and, if for some reason you don't like it, no harm done).
Regards,
Eoin