is 50 miles a day for 8 days back to back to much for an inexperienced cyclist.

needsadvice

Aug 13, 2011
Hi,

I've been persuaded to go on a cycling holiday in 4 weeks time cycling from toulouse in france over the pyronese to bilbao, the trip is around 400 miles and we have 8 days to do it in, so 50 miles per day.

I have not ridden for more than about a mile for quite a few years but am otherwise very fit and run and do martial arts 3-4 times per week.

Is this too ambitious? Should I pull out now?

Any advice on this would be appreciated as I have no idea what I'll feel like even after the first day or two

For a young fit person 50 miles a day is feasible for the flats, going over Mountain passes is another story but not impossible, you will need to walk your way up most of the times,

It would be a good idea to shift running for cycling for the next 4 weeks you have, mainly for you to get used to the saddle and then avoiding injuries in that area during the tour. Remember that 1 hour running is a lot but 1 hour cycling is not enough, target 2 hours in every ride if you feel good,

You may want to start cycling and get used to the idea of going long distances. I am fairly fit and I can do about 18 miles in and hour and a half. In my opinion those kind of races that travel long distance you dont want to jump in there with not knowing how long you can do. You probably want to do a 18/20 mph pace. I would ride your bike a lot before the race and learn how to change your tires in case you have a flat and learn to work your gears if you are unfamiliar. You can do it just practice first. Good Luck!!

50 miles is nothing, in normal conditions. I am way worse off in heath terms that you are, and normally nock off 40 miles by 11 in the morning, then spend the rest of the day on the other 40. I think the main problem comes from trying to pace other people. If you are just doing 50 miles, no biggie, I average 10 mph made good, loaded, and at 52 with heart disease, and no knee cap. If you did the same you would get your 50 in in 5 hours. What are you going to do with the other 19 hrs. But if you are with someone who wants to get 11 done, you are toast.

First of all, yes, I think your holiday is do-able. Get on your bike, make sure it fits you, and start slowly putting on the miles.

You didn't mention whether or not your were riding self-supported, or if you'd have someone hauling your gear. If you're being supported, the absolutely yes. If self-supported, it's questionable.

Is this something YOU really want to do, or are you being cajoled into it? Enthusiasm and drive can get you over a lot of adversity! If you're only doing it because your friends talked you into it, you might reconsider.

On my most recent X-C tour, our route took us over Powder River pass in Wyoming. It's a 25 mile climb @ 6% grade up to 9,666 ft. I weighed 185 lbs, with a 85 lb. loaded bike, and was climbing at about a 6-7 mph pace. I was really fit at the time. If I'd done that climb without a good riding base, I'd have walked quite a bit of it. Your mileage may vary.

The descents are the easy part - just let gravity take over. The climbs will be every person for themselves. The flats is where you'll probably work together, but since you've never ridden with others in an echelon, I'd let others know, and ask them to introduce you to the concept - slowly!

Your trip is absolutely achievable. Just get yourself in as good a shape prior to the trip as possible. Pay attention to good riders. Don't ride at a pace you can't maintain - remember this is a tour, not a race.

Have a good time!