Is 8.5 pounds in a month a good loss?

Wannablean

Guest
Today I was down 2.6 lbs from when I gained 2.3. That brings my grand total since January 5, 2004 to
8.5 lbs. I haven't been a perfectionist with my points - sometimes eating less than I was supposed
to, sometimes eating a few more. IF I had been a stickler and stuck to my minimum point value/day,
would I have had an even better loss? I am thrilled with 8.5, don't misunderstand me, but is that a
good number for the first month for someone who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last Saturday, I have
been walking a mile a day on my treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean to be a pest with
all the questions, but I am DETERMINED to succed this time.

YES. ANY loss is a good loss, some months I lost Nothing. I did not quit though and although it took
a long time, I got to goal. And yeah, if you stay right exactly on points you will lose more. Maybe
some months that is going to happen. Other months you may get stuck. Just hang in here though, and
keep on doing it, and you will get that 100 off.

Lesanne (who took 70 something weeks to lose the last 80 something pounds...)
365/160/155

WannaBLean wrote:

> Today I was down 2.6 lbs from when I gained 2.3. That brings my grand total since January 5, 2004
> to 8.5 lbs. I haven't been a perfectionist with my points - sometimes eating less than I was
> supposed to, sometimes eating a few more. IF I had been a stickler and stuck to my minimum point
> value/day, would I have had an even better loss? I am thrilled with 8.5, don't misunderstand me,
> but is that a good number for the first month for someone who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last
> Saturday, I have been walking a mile a day on my treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean
> to be a pest with all the questions, but I am DETERMINED to succed this time.

8.5 IS a good loss! I had 70 or so lbs to lose when I started, and have managed the first 30. It
look me a long time (over a year), sticking to the points fairly well except for the odd
celebratory lapse. For my exercise I usually walk 2 miles a day 5 days a week.

Think of it this way: if toy lose 8 lbs a month for a year, you will be 6 lbs from goal! I think
you will find, however, that the rate of loss will slow as you get lighter. If you AVERAGE a weight
loss of 5 lbs a month, it will take you 20 months to lose the whole 100 lbs, which is a reasonable
time scale.

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Well, I'm in it for the long haul. Thanks y'all, for responding so quickly.
"Kate Dicey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> WannaBLean wrote:
> >
> > Today I was down 2.6 lbs from when I gained 2.3. That brings my grand
total
> > since January 5, 2004 to 8.5 lbs. I haven't been a perfectionist with my points - sometimes
> > eating less than I was supposed to, sometimes eating
> > few more. IF I had been a stickler and stuck to my minimum point
value/day,
> > would I have had an even better loss? I am thrilled with 8.5, don't misunderstand me, but is
> > that a good number for the first month for
someone
> > who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last Saturday, I have been walking a
mile a
> > day on my treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean to be a pest
with
> > all the questions, but I am DETERMINED to succed this time.
>

> 8.5 IS a good loss! I had 70 or so lbs to lose when I started, and have managed the first 30. It
> look me a long time (over a year), sticking to the points fairly well except for the odd
> celebratory lapse. For my exercise I usually walk 2 miles a day 5 days a week.
>
> Think of it this way: if toy lose 8 lbs a month for a year, you will be 6 lbs from goal! I think
> you will find, however, that the rate of loss will slow as you get lighter. If you AVERAGE a
> weight loss of 5 lbs a month, it will take you 20 months to lose the whole 100 lbs, which is a
> reasonable time scale.
> --

> Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
> Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:13:35 -0600, "WannaBLean" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Today I was down 2.6 lbs from when I gained 2.3. That brings my grand total since January 5, 2004
>to 8.5 lbs. I haven't been a perfectionist with my points - sometimes eating less than I was
>supposed to, sometimes eating a few more. IF I had been a stickler and stuck to my minimum point
>value/day, would I have had an even better loss?

Thats a good loss. You are probably doing exactly the right things. Don't try to stick closer to
points yet, you don't have to lose everything all at once. If you cut down too much you risk slowing
the rate of loss not increasing it. It's working so don't change anything yet.

> I am thrilled with 8.5, don't misunderstand me, but is that a good number for the first month for
> someone who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last Saturday, I have been walking a mile a day on my
> treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean to be a pest with all the questions, but I am
> DETERMINED to succed this time.

If you are exercising you should try to do at least 20 minutes and 30 minutes is better. Make sure
you get your heart rate going a bit too. But it's important not to start out too quickly. When I
started I did 6 minutes on the bike and couldn't do any more. Now 30 minutes is OK, but I still want
to increase the pace a bit.

It looks like you are off to a really great start

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/203/182

I agree Ray. Sometimes while we are really motivated in the beginning we
overdue and get frustrated when we can't stick with the program or exercise.
I think she should keep doing what she has proven works and she will no when
to increase the exercise etc.
Bird
ned to lose 45#
"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:13:35 -0600, "WannaBLean" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Today I was down 2.6 lbs from when I gained 2.3. That brings my grand
total
> >since January 5, 2004 to 8.5 lbs. I haven't been a perfectionist with my points - sometimes
> >eating less than I was supposed to, sometimes eating a few more. IF I had been a stickler and
> >stuck to my minimum point
value/day,
> >would I have had an even better loss?
>
> Thats a good loss. You are probably doing exactly the right things. Don't try to stick closer to
> points yet, you don't have to lose everything all at once. If you cut down too much you risk
> slowing the rate of loss not increasing it. It's working so don't change anything yet.
>
> > I am thrilled with 8.5, don't misunderstand me, but is that a good number for the first
> > month for
someone
> >who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last Saturday, I have been walking a
mile a
> >day on my treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean to be a pest
with
> >all the questions, but I am DETERMINED to succed this time.
>
> If you are exercising you should try to do at least 20 minutes and 30 minutes is better. Make sure
> you get your heart rate going a bit too. But it's important not to start out too quickly. When I
> started I did 6 minutes on the bike and couldn't do any more. Now 30 minutes is OK, but I still
> want to increase the pace a bit.
>
> It looks like you are off to a really great start
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/203/182

Weigh to go! Congratulations on dropping that 2.3. Elaine K

WannaBLean wrote:

>Today I was down 2.6 lbs from when I gained 2.3. That brings my grand total since January 5, 2004
>to 8.5 lbs. I haven't been a perfectionist with my points - sometimes eating less than I was
>supposed to, sometimes eating a few more. IF I had been a stickler and stuck to my minimum point
>value/day, would I have had an even better loss? I am thrilled with 8.5, don't misunderstand me,
>but is that a good number for the first month for someone who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last
>Saturday, I have been walking a mile a day on my treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean
>to be a pest with all the questions, but I am DETERMINED to succed this time.

Thanks Ray. I usually walk a mile in 30 minutes. Any faster and I'm pooped
too quick. Looking back on these last four weeks I realize that once this
group helped me correct my MAJOR problem areas (i.e. afternoon hunger,
night eating and exercise) that the rest has been easier than I expected. I
take my Smart Ones or Healthy choice meals for lunch because it is easy for
me and have started eating breakfast. I appreciate all you folks taking time
to help me. You are my heroes.
"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:13:35 -0600, "WannaBLean" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Today I was down 2.6 lbs from when I gained 2.3. That brings my grand
total
> >since January 5, 2004 to 8.5 lbs. I haven't been a perfectionist with my points - sometimes
> >eating less than I was supposed to, sometimes eating a few more. IF I had been a stickler and
> >stuck to my minimum point
value/day,
> >would I have had an even better loss?
>
> Thats a good loss. You are probably doing exactly the right things. Don't try to stick closer to
> points yet, you don't have to lose everything all at once. If you cut down too much you risk
> slowing the rate of loss not increasing it. It's working so don't change anything yet.
>
> > I am thrilled with 8.5, don't misunderstand me, but is that a good number for the first
> > month for
someone
> >who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last Saturday, I have been walking a
mile a
> >day on my treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean to be a pest
with
> >all the questions, but I am DETERMINED to succed this time.
>
> If you are exercising you should try to do at least 20 minutes and 30 minutes is better. Make sure
> you get your heart rate going a bit too. But it's important not to start out too quickly. When I
> started I did 6 minutes on the bike and couldn't do any more. Now 30 minutes is OK, but I still
> want to increase the pace a bit.
>
> It looks like you are off to a really great start
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/203/182

More than 2 lbs a week is more than recommended but since it includes your first week it is okay!!

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/205/155 RAFL 210.5/205/198.5

WannaBLean wrote:
> Today I was down 2.6 lbs from when I gained 2.3. That brings my grand total since January 5, 2004
> to 8.5 lbs. I haven't been a perfectionist with my points - sometimes eating less than I was
> supposed to, sometimes eating a few more. IF I had been a stickler and stuck to my minimum point
> value/day, would I have had an even better loss? I am thrilled with 8.5, don't misunderstand me,
> but is that a good number for the first month for someone who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last
> Saturday, I have been walking a mile a day on my treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean
> to be a pest with all the questions, but I am DETERMINED to succed this time.

hey - it sounds ok to me - but what do I know?
I will say congrats for this week - that's cool :)

--
krys

UK 157/132/126 Started March 1st 2001 GOAL August 16th 2001 ...definitely making progress...

"WannaBLean" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse news:[email protected]... I
am thrilled with 8.5, don't
> misunderstand me, but is that a good number for the first month for
someone
> who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last Saturday, I have been walking a mile
> day on my treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean to be a pest
with
> all the questions, but I am DETERMINED to succed this time.

I think it is a great loss!! In one year you will probably have lost 100 lbs going at that rate:;o)
Nice thought, eh?:eek:)

And also, I am soo happy to see that BIG DETERMINATION in capital letters:eek:) THIS is the way to go!
When you start struggling remind yourself that there is no foods or sweets or pig-outs worth
sacrificing a 100 lbs loss for!:eek:)

WannaBLean wrote:

> Thanks Ray. I usually walk a mile in 30 minutes. Any faster and I'm pooped too quick. Looking back
> on these last four weeks I realize that once this group helped me correct my MAJOR problem areas
> (i.e. afternoon hunger, night eating and exercise) that the rest has been easier than I expected.
> I take my Smart Ones or Healthy choice meals for lunch because it is easy for me and have started
> eating breakfast. I appreciate all you folks taking time to help me. You are my heroes.

It used to take me nearly half an hour to walk the mile to my son's school, and another half hour to
walk back. This was fine in the days when he was tiny and I was fat... Now I'm less fat and lots
fitter, and he's MUCH bigger, I can make it up to school in 12 minutes if I'm late leaving the
house, and we get back in 20, if we don't stop at the shop! I can also carry more fruit and
vegetables than I used to: I'd buy and then get them to deliver. These day we carry our purchases. I
don't do whole sacks of potatoes or carrots, though...

Just keep at it and you will soon be fitter and leaner, and the miles will go faster. You can either
do the exercise in less time, or add to the exercise and take the same time to do more distance. I
got quicker because the walk is a fixed length. Sometimes in the summer I go the long way round by
the fields rather than just up the roads, and get a longer walk. Very nice on a dry, crisp spring
day with the orchards all in bloom!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Sometimes in the summer I go the long way round by the fields rather than just up the roads, and get
a longer walk. Very nice on a dry, crisp spring day with the orchards all in bloom!

Oooooh, that sounds SOOOO lovely.as I sit here watching the snow fall.

first of all any loss is good, and since we all lose differently it really
is individual. The great thing about WW is we can adjust it to meet our
needs. As for the exercise, any you do is good. I have only one real rule.
I do nothing during the losing phase that I am unwilling to do for life.
This means I probably lose slower than I would if I exercised more but I
know doing it this way that I can maintain a lifestyle that will keep the
weight off, I would be thrilled with 8 pounds in a month, good luck, Lee

Kate Dicey wrote:
> WannaBLean wrote:
>
>>Thanks Ray. I usually walk a mile in 30 minutes. Any faster and I'm pooped too quick. Looking back
>>on these last four weeks I realize that once this group helped me correct my MAJOR problem areas
>>(i.e. afternoon hunger, night eating and exercise) that the rest has been easier than I expected.
>>I take my Smart Ones or Healthy choice meals for lunch because it is easy for me and have started
>>eating breakfast. I appreciate all you folks taking time to help me. You are my heroes.
>

> It used to take me nearly half an hour to walk the mile to my son's school, and another half hour
> to walk back. This was fine in the days when he was tiny and I was fat... Now I'm less fat and
> lots fitter, and he's MUCH bigger, I can make it up to school in 12 minutes if I'm late leaving
> the house, and we get back in 20, if we don't stop at the shop! I can also carry more fruit and
> vegetables than I used to: I'd buy and then get them to deliver. These day we carry our purchases.
> I don't do whole sacks of potatoes or carrots, though...
>
> Just keep at it and you will soon be fitter and leaner, and the miles will go faster. You can
> either do the exercise in less time, or add to the exercise and take the same time to do more
> distance. I got quicker because the walk is a fixed length. Sometimes in the summer I go the long
> way round by the fields rather than just up the roads, and get a longer walk. Very nice on a dry,
> crisp spring day with the orchards all in bloom!

Kate that is great!! You are getting to be in great shape!!

--

WannaBLean wrote:

> Sometimes in the summer I go the long way round by the fields rather than just up the roads, and
> get a longer walk. Very nice on a dry, crisp spring day with the orchards all in bloom!
>
> Oooooh, that sounds SOOOO lovely.as I sit here watching the snow fall.

We had quite a warm day here and bright sun, interspersed with showers: very typical of

...wait for it...

APRIL!

Connie wrote:

> Kate that is great!! You are getting to be in great shape!!

It feels good that if I get caught by a bride on the phone at 3:00 pm, and she keeps me chatting
until 3:15, I can still get there without having to ring school and tell them I'll be late! His
class are supposed to come out at 25 past, but are usually a little late as it takes them a while to
pack up and get coats and the like!

I get there a little out of breath and warm, but I get there in good time! Mind you, I'll never get
there as quickly as DH: his legs are a foot longer than mine!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Congrats! down 8.5 pounds in a month is absolutely fantastic. There is no way to tell what results
you may have had if you had stuck to eating at the lower end. Some people will lose faster that way,
others will actually lose slower (go figure!). You have to kind of experiment during the process to
see what your body is going to do with different eating patterns. What I am thinking you are doing
(staggering your points ... higher some days and lower others) is what I had to do in order to have
better losses. If I ate consistently at the low end of things, I showed very low losses. When I had
what I call splurges ... a much higher day mixed into the week, along with a few middle range days,
my losses were much better. Looking back over my old progress sheets that I kept, I see that I lost
about 8 pounds the first month, 10 the next, followed by another 8 pound month. After that it
tapered down to about 5 pounds/month for several months. I also had close to 100 pounds to lose, so
it looks to me like your first month was very good!

As far as the exercise, it's hard to tell you what YOU should do - as you are the only one who knows
how you feel when you are working out. Are you tired after the mile or do you feel you could go
longer? Maybe you should keep the same amount of time (30 minutes) but try increasing the speed each
week ... that way you will be increasing how hard your body is working and the distance will also
increase on it's own (due to the faster pace). I shoot for at least 2 miles a day, but I'm walking
at a much faster rate - and have been at it for a long time now. Slow and steady is the best way to
go, with gradual increases as you build up your endurance and strength.

Joyce

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:13:35 -0600, "WannaBLean" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Today I was down 2.6 lbs from when I gained 2.3. That brings my grand total since January 5, 2004
>to 8.5 lbs. I haven't been a perfectionist with my points - sometimes eating less than I was
>supposed to, sometimes eating a few more. IF I had been a stickler and stuck to my minimum point
>value/day, would I have had an even better loss? I am thrilled with 8.5, don't misunderstand me,
>but is that a good number for the first month for someone who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last
>Saturday, I have been walking a mile a day on my treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean
>to be a pest with all the questions, but I am DETERMINED to succed this time.

8.5 lbs in a month is great. Keep up the good work.

Brenda

"WannaBLean" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Today I was down 2.6 lbs from when I gained 2.3. That brings my grand
total
> since January 5, 2004 to 8.5 lbs. I haven't been a perfectionist with my points - sometimes eating
> less than I was supposed to, sometimes eating a few more. IF I had been a stickler and stuck to my
> minimum point
value/day,
> would I have had an even better loss? I am thrilled with 8.5, don't misunderstand me, but is that
> a good number for the first month for
someone
> who needs to lose 100 lbs? Since last Saturday, I have been walking a mile
> day on my treadmill. Should I try to do more? I don't mean to be a pest
with
> all the questions, but I am DETERMINED to succed this time.

Tonight I walked 40 minutes and varied the pace and the incline. I FEEL
GREAT!!! I turn on the soft rock channel and walk while envisioning myself
slim and trim. I WILL DO THIS!! I WILL LOSE 100 POUNDS. WHY? Because I
CAN!!!
news:[email protected]...