Is a 45 sec rest too small?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Bradley Burton, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. My workout is three sets of each exercise with a 45 second rest in between.
    This is what a book by the Men's Health magazine recommends for a body
    shaping workout. The workout is about three exercises for each muscle
    group. It's a very long workout, and I'm not noticing results yet (not even
    the 'immediate' results you get right away), and I'm not sore the next day
    after the workout.

    Is it going to hinder me from gaining much muscle taking only a 45 sec rest
    compared to if I took a minute or two? If it will then I can't imagine why
    they would say to do that in the book.

    Thanks. I just want to maximize my workout, and not spend a lot of my time
    lifting weights in a way that will only give me mediocre results.

    Brad

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 19:07:38 -0500, "Bradley Burton"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My workout is three sets of each exercise with a 45 second rest in between.
    >This is what a book by the Men's Health magazine recommends for a body
    >shaping workout. The workout is about three exercises for each muscle
    >group. It's a very long workout, and I'm not noticing results yet (not even
    >the 'immediate' results you get right away), and I'm not sore the next day
    >after the workout.
    >
    >Is it going to hinder me from gaining much muscle taking only a 45 sec rest
    >compared to if I took a minute or two? If it will then I can't imagine why
    >they would say to do that in the book.
    >
    >Thanks. I just want to maximize my workout, and not spend a lot of my time
    >lifting weights in a way that will only give me mediocre results.

    What are your goals? Be specific. How old are you?? Height, weight,
    body fat percentage if known? What results are you expecting after
    working out for how long?? It could be that your expectations are
    unrealistic.

    There is no magic number of how many seconds/minutes of rest between
    sets. I use a heart rate monitor and begin my next set after my heart
    rate drops a certain number of beats or percentage of max. I generally
    rest between 1-2 minutes unless I am going heavy or doing legs when I
    will rest longer.

    Soreness the day after your workout is not an indicator of how
    productive your workout is. Many people don't experience it and when
    they do it often goes away after you have been training for a while.

    RC

  3. Bradley Burton wrote:

    > My workout is three sets of each exercise with a 45 second rest in between.
    > This is what a book by the Men's Health magazine recommends for a body
    > shaping workout.

    There's one problem; using buzz phrases like body shaping.

    > The workout is about three exercises for each muscle
    > group. It's a very long workout, and I'm not noticing results yet (not even
    > the 'immediate' results you get right away), and I'm not sore the next day
    > after the workout.

    Soreness is a poor indicator of workout quality. Go by progress in
    weights, reps, measurements and such.

    > Is it going to hinder me from gaining much muscle taking only a 45 sec rest
    > compared to if I took a minute or two?

    For what you are doing yes. Try 1-2 minutes.

  4. ATP*

    ATP* Guest

    "Bradley Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My workout is three sets of each exercise with a 45 second rest in
    > between. This is what a book by the Men's Health magazine recommends for a
    > body shaping workout. The workout is about three exercises for each
    > muscle group. It's a very long workout, and I'm not noticing results yet
    > (not even the 'immediate' results you get right away), and I'm not sore
    > the next day after the workout.
    >
    > Is it going to hinder me from gaining much muscle taking only a 45 sec
    > rest compared to if I took a minute or two? If it will then I can't
    > imagine why they would say to do that in the book.
    >
    > Thanks. I just want to maximize my workout, and not spend a lot of my
    > time lifting weights in a way that will only give me mediocre results.
    >
    > Brad

    From the editor of the Crossfit Journal:

    "This was the motivation for

    creating the CrossFit Journal. The

    fitness rags-featuring grotesque

    bodybuilders and their irrelevant

    routines, a homoerotic flavor (with

    guys all too often working out in their

    underwear), fake science promoting

    supplements and regimens by snow

    job, and cookie-cutter content foreign

    to athletes and athletics-are entirely

    ignored by folks serious about fitness

    and performance."

    www.crossfit.com

  5. A K

    A K Guest

    I might bump it up to exactly 60 seconds. The reason that they tell you a
    short rest is because the short rest really stimulates the testosterone and
    growth hormones within you and gives you that pump. Bodybuilders tend to
    use shorter rest inbetween sets for that reason.

    --
    A K
    www.fitnessplanning.com

    "Bradley Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My workout is three sets of each exercise with a 45 second rest in

    between.
    > This is what a book by the Men's Health magazine recommends for a body
    > shaping workout. The workout is about three exercises for each muscle
    > group. It's a very long workout, and I'm not noticing results yet (not

    even
    > the 'immediate' results you get right away), and I'm not sore the next day
    > after the workout.
    >
    > Is it going to hinder me from gaining much muscle taking only a 45 sec

    rest
    > compared to if I took a minute or two? If it will then I can't imagine

    why
    > they would say to do that in the book.
    >
    > Thanks. I just want to maximize my workout, and not spend a lot of my

    time
    > lifting weights in a way that will only give me mediocre results.
    >
    > Brad

  6. JMW

    JMW Guest

    "A K" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I might bump it up to exactly 60 seconds. The reason that they tell you a
    >short rest is because the short rest really stimulates the testosterone and
    >growth hormones within you and gives you that pump.

    The hormonal increases are very transient. So it the "pump," i.e.,
    blood engorgement.

  7. No, but apparently your 2" crank is.

  8. >From the editor of the Crossfit Journal:

    "This was the motivation for

    creating the CrossFit Journal. The

    fitness rags-featuring grotesque

    bodybuilders and their irrelevant

    routines, a homoerotic flavor (with

    guys all too often working out in their

    underwear), fake science promoting

    supplements and regimens by snow

    job, and cookie-cutter content foreign

    to athletes and athletics-are entirely

    ignored by folks serious about fitness

    and performance.">

    Wow! There really is ONE normal guy lifting weights.