Is a bike repair stand absolutely necessary?

babybunny

Oct 5, 2004
I'd like to try to teach myself how to work on bikes, starting with taking apart my own and learning to maintain them. Do you think I really need to plop down $100 or more for a repair stand, or is the floor good enough?

to do any "real" work, you need a stand

you can jerry rig it.... bungee cord from the ceiling...etc...etc...

i went through the same dilema when starting out with my cycles ... cant imagine working without the stand now

and the $100 park home stand is solid... real solid

jedblack said:

you can jerry rig it.... bungee cord from the ceiling...etc...etc...

i went through the same dilema when starting out with my cycles ... cant imagine working without the stand now

and the $100 park home stand is solid... real solid

I am still using the floor and work bench space. I have done lots of work on my bikes the small stool I use is good because I do not have to bend over.

jedblack said:
Duno how you define(and don't give me that webster's sheot) 'real' work,but I've built a bizillion bikes with out one.

It's a convenience thing. I don't have one and do all routine maintenance stuff in the living room w/the bike upside down.

I've work on my bike in the wind trainer. Then I put the bike and trainer on an 8 foot banquet table.
The right height and stable. Works great.

boudreaux said:
Duno how you define(and don't give me that webster's sheot) 'real' work,but I've built a bizillion bikes with out one.

build a bike = sure, it can be done without... perhaps a stand is the more "Professional" tactic

Rear dropout alignment , de-raileur alignment, frame pulling... its becomes "more" of a necessity at that point

when i said "real" work, i meant "REAL" work... frame work, alteration, modification...etc...etc...

not nuts and bolts assembly...thats easy part

Hmmm... thanks for the replies guys. Considering I'm a complete novice, I think I'm going to wait for a while until getting the stand. Does anyone know how many times I can use a Performance coupon code? As in, can I have a couple of seperate orders and use the same code time after time for all those orders? :D

jedblack said:
build a bike = sure, it can be done without... perhaps a stand is the more "Professional" tactic

Rear dropout alignment , de-raileur alignment, frame pulling... its becomes "more" of a necessity at that point

when i said "real" work, i meant "REAL" work... frame work, alteration, modification...etc...etc...

not nuts and bolts assembly...thats easy part
The poster said 'take apart/maintain'. Methinks your 'real work' is best left to a REAL professional with the right eqipment anyway.

boudreaux said:
The poster said 'take apart/maintain'. Methinks your 'real work' is best left to a REAL professional with the right eqipment anyway.

well since your technical skills are on par with your spelling and grammer, then yes.... you should leave it to a real professional.... :cool:

boodwrecks, heres a hint, if the mechanic has a stand... its a good start :rolleyes:

jedblack said:
well since your technical skills are on par with your spelling and grammer, then yes.... you should leave it to a real professional.... :cool:
And your skills are...? Tell us about removing a stuck BB jerkoff. :rolleyes:

asking for suggestions is an intelligent thing to do....

Mr. "i've bilt a bizzilion bikes and i aint got no stand"

ahhh... the blissfull ignorance of thee..... :rolleyes:

jedblack said:
asking for suggestions is an intelligent thing to do....

Mr. "i've bilt a bizzilion bikes and i aint got no stand"

ahhh... the blissfull ignorance of thee..... :rolleyes:
Ignorance can be fixed.Stupidity is permanent.

boudreaux said:
Ignorance can be fixed.Stupidity is permanent.

yeah... sigh*.. its a shame

I know, i feel for you man.... i really do. But hey ! at least you reconized it early :cool: