Is A Bike Stand Worth It?

NJAgent020

Apr 3, 2015
When doing brake adjustments, simple cleaning, washing or tube replacements, I can't help but think a bike stand would make things so much easier.

Park tool makes several, the basic one is less than. $200. I dont need anything fancy.

Does anyone here think its a waste or have they found it really worth it?

I am fairly new to this cycling business but I consulted the father in law and he said definitely, it makes the whole process of doing anything to the bike much easier. He got his from gumtree (I take it you are in the USA so I would guess that would be Craiglist?) Worth a try looking on there as you might find one cheaper?

FWIW. I have two different (types of) workstands ...

One is a vintage Park Tool stand ...

The second is a generic "Y" stand which I recall cost about $4 a-bazillion-years-ago ...

The "Y" stand has a "J" bend which is braced against the downtube ... the complex bend supports the BB shell ... the open end of the "Y" forms the legs ... (they are still less than $20) ...

I use the very portable "Y" stand almost exlusively ...

I sit on a stool while using it, BTW.

There other types of inexpensive stands (less than $20, retail) ...

Some people simply hang their bike from a couple of suspended hooks ...

In between are the stands whose legs fold up like an ironing board's.

The bottom line is that I think that a workstand is definitely worth owning ...

However, while I prefer to use the portable "Y" stand (I find sitting on a stool is actually more convenient than standing), you may not ...

Regardless, there are certainly OTHER brands of workstands which you may want to look at before ponying up for a Park Tool workstand.

I bought a generic stand for around $100 I get plenty of use out of it. But I have 6 bikes of my own and 8 other bikes in the family so I end up doing a lot of maintenance.

Ceiling hooks with bungee cords, a large work bench or even a hitch bike racks can also be purposed for maintenance tasks.

I have an expensive Park stand. Don't use it much. Only if I am doing a big overhaul. Things like chain maintenance, adjustments, bar tape, new cables, etc. are done with the bike against the work bench.

Depends on whether you'll use it. If you do a lot of maintenance, I would suggest getting one. If you don't think you're going to get much mileage out of it, I wouldn't get one. They are pretty hefty and expensive, after all.

I'm with Weatherby.

I bought a $200 Park stand last year and use it very little. I do most complete builds on the floor and most maintenance split between the floor and the bench depending on the job.

If you have a bad back or such, stands are the way to go.

DSCF1224_zpsmnpvftaq.jpg

It sure makes a great holder for bottles and my iPod/headphones though.

Reactions: Sunflogun
Only if you ride it.

Only a Rolls saddle that's never been ridden stays that clean, eh Bob? ;)

CAMPYBOB said:
I'm with Weatherby.

I bought a $200 Park stand last year and use it very little. I do most complete builds on the floor and most maintenance split between the floor and the bench depending on the job.

If you have a bad back or such, stands are the way to go.

DSCF1224_zpsmnpvftaq.jpg

It sure makes a great holder for bottles and my iPod/headphones though.
LOL so a great holder for bottles and heaphones? That's hardly the best use for it... :) I'd say it depends a lot on the space you have and the sort of maintenance you do the your bike, but up to now I never felt the need for it.

So funny that CAMPYBOB and I use it the same way.....that photo could have been mine....the exact same Park Model sits next to my trainer.....I put my water bottle, power meter, lactate meter, strips and lancing devices on it at various times.

I am renter with a small apartment. I do have a storage space in the basement where I keep my bikes and stuff. I am not able to do the bungee cord solution nor do I have room for a proper work bench.

Perhaps a used one at a bargain price is my best bet.

NJAgent020 said:
I am renter with a small apartment. I do have a storage space in the basement where I keep my bikes and stuff. I am not able to do the bungee cord solution nor do I have room for a proper work bench.

If I was you, I would not buy a stand given your space constraints. You can maintain your chain, wipe the frame clean, change tires/tubes, adjust/replace cables without as stand. Outsource the heavy maintenance to a shop.....BB overhaul, new headsets, etc.

Quote by Swampy:
"Only a Rolls saddle that's never been ridden stays that clean, eh Bob?"

Well, if you'ld wipe your ass...

Quote by Weatherby:
"So funny that CAMPYBOB and I use it the same way.....that photo could have been mine....the exact same Park Model sits next to my trainer.....I put my water bottle, power meter, lactate meter, strips and lancing devices on it at various times."

When I use the rollers I extend the height and hang a bookshelf speaker on it...living in stereo.

Quote by mpre53:
"Do I have to grow a beard and drink PBR if I use a fixie on my trainer?"

And wear one of those awesome messenger bags with the seat belt buckles.

Weatherby said:

If I was you, I would not buy a stand given your space constraints. You can maintain your chain, wipe the frame clean, change tires/tubes, adjust/replace cables without as stand. Outsource the heavy maintenance to a shop.....BB overhaul, new headsets, etc.
FYI. Most modern bike stands fold up to a relatively compact form factor ...

The type with "ironing board" legs fold up to the size of (wait for it ...) an ironing board ...

The "Y" type of stand which I prefer to use & the other sub-$20 stands which I mentioned tend to be extremely compact ...

ONLY the older Park Tool stands (which have a flat base like on my PRS-12 or others with a similar base) will not fit in a closet to the exclusion of other items.

BTW. I think that most post-2000 bikes have either cartridge BBs or cartridge bearings ...

While the bearings can be replaced on some BBs, unless your bike has a Campagnolo crankset & CARTRIDGE BB, servicing the BB is problematic for the average person ...

Regardless, for most bicycle related work, it doesn't really matter what type of stand a person has ... IMO.

If I was going to work on it myself I would definitely buy one. But I have neighbors I can get to work on it.

It's worth it if you're something that is always doing some sort of bike work or if you have 4 or more bikes. Plus it's not like you have to buy one of those expensive ones. It's just a stand so getting the cheapest one will do.

A bike stand is essential not only during servicing but while cleaning and parking. The amount it costs is not that much and we should consider having it.