Is A Bike Stand Worth It?

Yes, they're worth it. A bike stand will save you time, and it's a good thing to have in the long run.

In my opinion, it's a worthy tool. I use mine to store my bike in the basement, clean it, work on it. It definitely makes the chain cleaning chore a thousand times easier as it puts it at the right height for me. It makes waxing the bike easier, too :ph34r:. I caught a sale and paid less that $2 bills for it.

If you'll use it or do a lot of repairs sure. With my back issues I need one. If you aren't sure you could go with a less expensive model or rig something up yourself.

To me owning a bike stand is honestly not worth it unless you plan on fixing up your bike every other day.

I say owning a bike stand is not worth it unless you're plan on fixing up your bike every other day.

CAMPYBOB said:
I'm with Weatherby.

I bought a $200 Park stand last year and use it very little. I do most complete builds on the floor and most maintenance split between the floor and the bench depending on the job.

If you have a bad back or such, stands are the way to go.

DSCF1224_zpsmnpvftaq.jpg

It sure makes a great holder for bottles and my iPod/headphones though.
Those bike stands look great. My bike stand was just fabricated from pieces of steel lying around house. I also painted it for good measure. I don't have a picture of it right now, but it definitely gets the job done.

Made my own for $20.00, I used half inch gas pipe, I use it all the time, when not in use it unscrews from the ceiling mount.

Mark.

Attachments

• IMG_20150519_141303326.jpg
    IMG_20150519_141303326.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
All depends on you. I'm in my late 20's so I can work on my bike on the floor or on a table. I don't mind a bit of bending, crouching ect. I also don't have a lot of extra cash so $200 is money that goes to other more important things, One older guy on my street swears by his, he is about 55 and says he will hurt the next day if he works on a bike in weird positions. His is also so old I swear it was made in a garage.
I like the post above about dirt cheap ones. I'm going to put that on my bargain hunt list!

Quote by BBBB:
"One older guy on my street swears by his, he is about 55 and says he will hurt the next day if he works on a bike in weird positions."

He's telling the truth!

There's no fast way to clean the stupid gazillion tiny pockets on the backside of a shitmaNO outer chainring. By the time I get the chainrings sparkling my back is ready for cortisone.

Yes is my answer to the title of this thread. However, it depends on the purpose of why you are buying a bike. I have some friends who buy expensive bikes that they will use only when they go on vacations. If you will compute, that very expensive bike was used only for 2 or 3 times during the rare vacations that he takes every year. In that case, it is obvious that the bike was not worth it.

@CampyBob, you talk of doing some work on the floor and some on the bench. Can you please show photos of what you mean? I'm in the market for a work stand, and so far I'm attracted to either the Park that you have or the Feedback Sports Sprint Work stand.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Here is my Feedback stand, with the bike on it. Tonight was the first time I used the stand. I had to learn how to release the front brakes on the bike and then how to release the quick release. It was a little bit fiddly getting the bike seated on the stand the first time: I had to move the front fork attachment (on the work stand) a few centimeters. I'm also still learning to use quick releases.

At this point, I'm still judging the stand. It is pretty light weight. It folds. I'm not that impressed with the parts quality and the manual that came with it needs a lot of improvement. I do not like the color. I much prefer a nice green color that matches the grass. I'd like the shiny locking rings to be nice and green, too. I want to use it for a couple months before judging it.

Next job: my very first chain lube, which I will do this weekend.

Bob

Attachments

• bike_on_workstand_small.jpg
    bike_on_workstand_small.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 15
Quote by Bob C.:
"I'm in the market for a work stand, and so far I'm attracted to either the Park that you have or the Feedback Sports Sprint Work stand."

Too late to the party.

I was going to tell you that the Park race stands are great and so are the Feedback race stands. Dealers choice and I'm sure you will be well served by your new Feedback stand. I actually prefer the BB cradle of the Feedback to the Park's. Other than that they both have good stability and adjustment range.

You'll probably end up with all sorts of **** on your stand, like we all do. The race stands get more of that oil and solvents and stuff on them than the shop type stands. Fortunately, both brands clean up easily when the work on the bike is done.

I do not have pics of me at work on the bike while it sits on the floor, but allow me to give you and example of just that type of maintenance from last week and last night:

Last week I popped a rear derailleur cable. I replaced it with the bike on the floor and me working bent over it working on the handlebars and brake lever body, looking up under it working on the lever body and routing the inner wire and kneeling beside it to route the cable under the BB and to attach the cable to the rear derailleur. I also picked up the rear wheel and rough-adjusteded the rear derailleur cable tension while pedaling the bike through the gears with one hand.

Easier on the stand? Maybe. Maybe not? Faster off the stand? Depends on the mechanic. Easier on the lower back if in the stand? Definitely. For me it was just too much quick transition from position to position to be constantly moving the stand around to allow me access or vision to the areas I was working on.

Last night I hosed off the chain with WD-40, wiped the driveline down, flossed the cassette gears and re-lubed with the bike on the floor. Actually, outside on the grass.

Easier on the stand? Not for me. Faster on the stand? No way. Easier on the lower back on the stand? Always!

Sometimes...no, many times...it's just easier, faster and less hassle to get the job over with quickly with the bike sitting where it sits. Sometimes there's no substitute for having a stand to save your back.

Everyone has a 'YMMV' on the subject of stands, but they do come in handy.

Thanks, CampyBob! I had thought that "on the floor" was some special technique used by skilled people...now I see that you meant literally on the floor or the grass, and I can understand the why: that it is quicker that way. I want to play with putting my bike on the stand at exactly the right height for me to work on while sitting at a stool. My basement ceiling does look really low all of a sudden (smile.)

Thanks a ton!

Bob

CAMPYBOB said:
I'm with Weatherby.

I bought a $200 Park stand last year and use it very little. I do most complete builds on the floor and most maintenance split between the floor and the bench depending on the job.

If you have a bad back or such, stands are the way to go.

DSCF1224_zpsmnpvftaq.jpg

It sure makes a great holder for bottles and my iPod/headphones though.
It's been brought to my attention that this basement is unbelievably clean.
So I came to take a look.
It's unnerving how clean it is. Basement's are typically a houses colon storing all kinds of useless **** that didn't quite make it out.

Reactions: BobCochran
I've honestly found it to be very worth it! It's one of those things that seem like a minor help until you have it and it just comes in handy so often. I probably wouldn't be able to work on my bike very efficiently without it at this point because I've become so accustomed to having it. The fact that you realize it's benefits now hints that you should probably go ahead and do it; just wait until you have it and those feelings will be even more positive. Unless it's going to break your bank a considerable amount, I'd say 100% worth it.

Quote by BBB:
"It's been brought to my attention that this basement is unbelievably clean.
So I came to take a look.
It's unnerving how clean it is. Basement's are typically a houses colon storing all kinds of useless **** that didn't quite make it out."

LMAO!

The benefits of owning multiple houses, I guess. This house is fairly large. Not a McMansion, but enough square footage to allow wide aisles through our possessions.

I've been fortunate enough to own land and to have barns and machinery sheds. That helps with storage, yet I'm always short of garage space. I have plans to add a 6-bay garage/shop next year. I keep telling myself that at 62 it is time to downsize, but I'm still wanting more storage space!