Is a maximum of 100miles enough to do 150mile event?

Originally posted by limerickman
I am packing the triple – and my lowest gear is 32x23.
I hope that this will be low enough !

I recently did a week training/holidaying in the Alps, my first attempt at climbs longer than 3km. My experience was that for me the best strategy is to get down on to the 30 chainring asap and keep the revs high. I found that I could climb big mountains (i.e Joux Plane) without too much trouble.

Will be doing the same on etape. Straight onto the granny ring when the road starts going up. That way I hope to be fresh enough to keep going when things get nasty in the last 70km. There are some sections of 12+% on the Peyrol climb.

Originally posted by rmartin
I recently did a week training/holidaying in the Alps, my first attempt at climbs longer than 3km. My experience was that for me the best strategy is to get down on to the 30 chainring asap and keep the revs high. I found that I could climb big mountains (i.e Joux Plane) without too much trouble.

Will be doing the same on etape. Straight onto the granny ring when the road starts going up. That way I hope to be fresh enough to keep going when things get nasty in the last 70km. There are some sections of 12+% on the Peyrol climb.

Martin, that's what I have been trying to emphasis to the initial poster all along - the last part of the course is very very tough.
(The first part isn't a piece of cake either).

That's why I put so many miles in before this - so that I will hopefully be able to concentrate even when I am tired (which I will be, in the second part of the Etape).

I don't wish to be cynical but the fact that the initial poster has "only" got 100 miles distance in once before and has "only" got 1400 miles in training - I think that it is imperative that the triple is used throughout.

I hope that he/she - and the rest of us - make it to the finish line.

Bon Chance !