Is a normal RHR ALWAYS an indicator that you ARE NOT overtrained.

Strumpetto

Jul 13, 2007
It seems as if your RHR can be normal, yet you can still be overtrained? Or would some of you argue that RHR is the tell-all of overtraining?

sustained fatigue
a failure to progress in a training program
a decrease in the level of personal performance following a several day recovery period
an increase in mild illnesses recorded in a training diary
increased sleeping heart rate
a decrease in maximal physical performance
a decrease in maximal exercise induced heart rate, a rise in one's AM resting heart rate, or an increase in heart rate for an level of activity.
a decrease in the ratio of blood lactate concentration to ratings of perceived exertion at maximal work loads
a decrease in the clearance of blood lactic acid from min. 3 to min. 12 post maximal anaerobic activity
a decreased intramuscular utilization of carbohydrates at maximal exercise levels
a decrease in blood glucose, lactate, ammonia, glycerol, free fatty acids, albumin, LDL, VLDL cholesterol, hemoglobin level (transient), leukocytes
absence of an increase of serum cortisol normally induced by 30 min. of acute exercise
lowering of VO2max
nocturnal catecholamine excretion decreased markedly contrary to exercise-related plasma catecholamine responses which increased more than expected.
resting and exercise-related cortisol and aldosterone levels decreased.

Strumpetto said:
It seems as if your RHR can be normal, yet you can still be overtrained? Or would some of you argue that RHR is the tell-all of overtraining?....
I've seen my waking heart rate go both up and down during periods of very heavy training bordering on overtraining. Personally lacking all the cool measurement equipment implied in your list my best early warning sign is difficulty falling asleep at night. I know I'm tired, but I just can't drop off. That's a warning sign I've learned to listen to.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
I've seen my waking heart rate go both up and down during periods of very heavy training bordering on overtraining. Personally lacking all the cool measurement equipment implied in your list my best early warning sign is difficulty falling asleep at night. I know I'm tired, but I just can't drop off. That's a warning sign I've learned to listen to.

-Dave

I'm just really neurotic about overtraining. Many on here have said it takes quite a long time of doing a training program followed by a serious increase in effort to be overtrained. I find myself training hard followed by a rest day to ensure that I don't overtrain. Really, I'm just getting very frustrated because I don't want to ruin all of the hard work I put in so far. That being said, I notice serious improvements in my riding every time that I go out. I figure that if I rest as much as I train, I can't go wrong. Lately, however, I just haven't had the motivation to go out, which is a sign of overtraining. On the other hand, I'm the kind of person who quickly gets bored with something, and I routinely have to force myself to do anything. i.e. papers etc. As a result, I'm not sure if I'm verging on overtraining, or if I'm just getting bored with my training routine and routes.

I'm training for a 14 mile XC MTB race on the 8th of Sept, and a 22 mile XC MTB race on the 16th of Sept. I routinely ride 30-40 road miles on my mountain bike, and on the weekends I sometimes do 50. I just don't want to overdo it and undperform in these races. Cycling is such a pain in the ass.

Thanks for your advice, Dave, you've always been a help!

Strumpetto said:
It seems as if your RHR can be normal, yet you can still be overtrained? Or would some of you argue that RHR is the tell-all of overtraining?

RHR has nothing to do with "overtraining", which is now known as Unexplained Underperformance Syndrome.

To have unexplained underperformance syndrome, your power (or velocity in e.g. running) would have to be continually depressed, with no known reason why.

There are no markers (as far as i'm aware) for the condition, and it doesn't seem to be easy to replicate.

Ric