Is adding a seat post with shock absorber worth the effort?

Yankee_fan

Guest
I have a GT "hybrid" from the early 90's - rigid frame, no shocks anywhere. Just serviced at LBS and
in good working condition. I ride about 50% road, 30% rail trail, 20% single track totalling about
100 miles a week. I'm considering changing out the seat & post to add some shock aborption.
Questions:
1. Is it worth the effort?
2. How much seat travel should I look for (I've seen 3/4" to 2" in the posts I've checked
out so far).
3. Stem diameter is 26.4mm - better to get an exact replacement, or OK to use a shim kit
for sizing.

Reply to group preferred. Thanks for any advice or opinions!

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:48:08 GMT, "Yankee_Fan" <[email protected]> may have said:

>I have a GT "hybrid" from the early 90's - rigid frame, no shocks anywhere. Just serviced at LBS
>and in good working condition. I ride about 50% road, 30% rail trail, 20% single track totalling
>about 100 miles a week. I'm considering changing out the seat & post to add some shock aborption.
>Questions:
>1. Is it worth the effort?

I like mine; it's very little effort to change, the main thing is the cost.

>2. How much seat travel should I look for (I've seen 3/4" to 2" in the posts I've checked out so
> far).

Mine has just over an inch. It was cheap. (REALLY cheap.) I'd like more travel, but what I've
got helps.

>3. Stem diameter is 26.4mm - better to get an exact replacement, or OK to use a shim kit for
> sizing.

From recent experience, you'll have fun trying to find a prefab shim to that size for any post that
you're likely to be able to get. Try to buy an exact fit. If not, then shoot for one that you can
get with an appropriate shim. If all else fails, sometimes coke can shims work.

I have one on my road and MTB. For the MTB, it reduces that being-launched-off-the-saddle feeling
you can get when you go over a bumpy section, so more comfort and more control. For the road, it's
more subtle, as I have a "road" suspension post with an elastomer only (probably 1 cm of travel). I
don't notice it at all, but probably would if I were to replace it with a rigid post. And even if it
lessens the impact of a road bump on my spine only slightly, how many times per season does that
occur - a few dozen thousand maybe?

So I think its worth it, especially if you have back issues.

Kyle

"Yankee_Fan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a GT "hybrid" from the early 90's - rigid frame, no shocks
anywhere.
> Just serviced at LBS and in good working condition. I ride about 50%
road,
> 30% rail trail, 20% single track totalling about 100 miles a week. I'm considering changing out
> the seat & post to add some shock aborption. Questions:
> 1. Is it worth the effort?
> 2. How much seat travel should I look for (I've seen 3/4" to 2" in the posts I've checked out so
> far).
> 3. Stem diameter is 26.4mm - better to get an exact replacement, or OK to use a shim kit for
> sizing.
>
> Reply to group preferred. Thanks for any advice or opinions!

"Yankee_Fan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a GT "hybrid" from the early 90's - rigid frame, no shocks anywhere. Just serviced at LBS
> and in good working condition. I ride about 50% road, 30% rail trail, 20% single track totalling
> about 100 miles a week. I'm considering changing out the seat & post to add some shock aborption.
> Questions:
> 1. Is it worth the effort?
> 2. How much seat travel should I look for (I've seen 3/4" to 2" in the posts I've checked out so
> far).
> 3. Stem diameter is 26.4mm - better to get an exact replacement, or OK to use a shim kit for
> sizing.

They work, but so do fatter tires and/or sprung saddles. Cheap s. posts don't have much travel and
often develop stiction and/or slop. The better ones are much more effective, but are expensive and
(most) require a substantial distance from clamp to clamp. Many of them come with shims.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:48:08 GMT, Yankee_Fan <[email protected]> wrote:
> considering changing out the seat & post to add some shock aborption. Questions:
> 1. Is it worth the effort?

That's a personal question that can only be answered with experience. It was worth it on my MTB.

> 2. How much seat travel should I look for (I've seen 3/4" to 2" in the posts I've checked out so
> far).

Travel is not as important as quality and adjustability.

Consider a collapsing-paralellogram (Thudbuster or Tricky
****) instead of a telescoping post; they seem to work better and last longer.

> 3. Stem diameter is 26.4mm - better to get an exact replacement, or OK to use a shim kit for
> sizing.

I can't see any problem with using a shim.

--
Rick Onanian

If all you do is ride pavement or crush and run (gravel roads) then a decent sprung saddle (like the
Brooks Champion Flyer) will suffice.