Is all KMC 7.1 mm Z chain the same durability?

dsr

Guest
I have been shopping for a new freewheel and chain for my 27* roadbike, Some of the internet sites
are not really clear about which chain they are selling.

"Z" chain comes in several lengths and styles, do they all have the same pin and roller hardness?

> I have been shopping for a new freewheel and chain for my 27* roadbike, Some of the internet sites
> are not really clear about which chain they are selling.
>
> "Z" chain comes in several lengths and styles, do they all have the same pin and roller hardness?

Some of the "Z" (KMC) chains are better than others in terms of durability & shifting, and some work
better on some drivetrains than others (Shimano? Campy?). Which drivetrain do you have? Presumably
27* means how many gears, not tire size? But then you mention freewheel, not cassette... and
freewheels aren't available with 9 cogs, as far as I know.

A decent local shop should be able to help you figure out which is best for your bike; with a bit
more help, I can probably do so as well.

> > I have been shopping for a new freewheel and chain for my 27* roadbike, Some of the internet
> > sites are not really clear about which chain they are selling.
> >
> > "Z" chain comes in several lengths and styles, do they all have the same pin and roller
> > hardness?
>
> Some of the "Z" (KMC) chains are better than others in terms of durability & shifting, and some
> work better on some drivetrains than others (Shimano? Campy?). Which drivetrain do you have?
> Presumably 27* means how many gears, not tire size? But then you mention freewheel, not
> cassette... and freewheels aren't available with 9 cogs, as far as I know.

He probably means a 27-inch road bike, which probably has either a 5- or 6-speed freewheel.

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:33:41 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I have been shopping for a new freewheel and chain for my 27* roadbike, Some of the internet
>> sites are not really clear about which chain they are selling.
>>
>> "Z" chain comes in several lengths and styles, do they all have the same pin and roller hardness?
>
>Some of the "Z" (KMC) chains are better than others in terms of durability & shifting, and some
>work better on some drivetrains than others (Shimano? Campy?). Which drivetrain do you have?
>Presumably 27* means how many gears, not tire size? But then you mention freewheel, not cassette...
>and freewheels aren't available with 9 cogs, as far as I know.

I'm currently running a stretched 116 link chain (115 and a master link). The new chain can be a
few links shorter since my new 7 speed freewheel has a maximum cog of 28 teeth instead of the
current 34.

The tire size is 27" and I may not bother swapping out the long cage TY15 derailler for the original
short cage TY20.

What I was interested in is the hardness and durability of the chain, since that will increase the
life of freewheels and chainrings.

Better to have a chain that lasts the life of a freewheel than one that stretches and ruins the
freewheel after only 3000 miles.

KMC makes four different 7.1 mm chains. All 7.1 mm wide chains should shift about the same for my
purposes since I will be using my old 6 speed shifter in friction mode.

>A decent local shop should be able to help you figure out which is best for your bike; with a bit
>more help, I can probably do so as well.

Last bike shop I visited locally was not stocked well for old bike parts. I don't blame them for
wanting to sell new bikes, but unfortunately their advice was biased in that direction.