Is America already a fundamentalist State?

Wurm said:
Well, um, not really. Not when millions upon millions of campaign contribution dollars come your way for a run at an office. One well-known example: where did John Kerry's millions go that were left over for the Ohio vote count fight that he never used towards that endeavor? Certainly no one that contributed got back any of it that they asked for.

You can pick out plenty of others, both R's and D's, that got rich from becoming a pol. Not to mention the many job bennies and hidden perks during and the typical golden corporate parachute at the end of a political career.
Well, um, I guess I wasn't clear enough, or you might re-read the post. :) I meant what you meant to the extent that the brightest and best who are ALREADY truly successful don't usually enter Politics AFTER they've become successful (and rich.) Kerry's ORIGINAL money came the "old fashioned way." :D My point, I believe, is that one shouldn't go into politics for the money, but to serve. Unfortunately, as I stated, as it is, ONLY those truly committed and fanatical, OR those who can't become rich WITHOUT the opportunities that go along with influence peddling TO SPECIAL INTEREST "usually" enter the fray. There are ALWAYS exceptions. Cheney was a political aid before he was a business man. Bush was a member of a political family Before he was a business man, then Governor etc... Bill Gates was a businessman, still is... and a philanthropist... Draft the successful who may be more likely to be beyond the simple temptations. Cheers!:)

I think it's fairly well known that you almost have to be pretty well off financially to run for high office today. It's almost impossible for a regular guy to get elected much above state level, and even state races are becoming prohibitively expensive to enter.

Then you have the "a poor man wants to be rich, a rich man wants to be king" syndrome. Guys like Ross Perot ran on his own money but was in it for the power/ego trip. He didn't want more money, so didn't need the influence of office for that.

Wurm said:
I think it's fairly well known that you almost have to be pretty well off financially to run for high office today. It's almost impossible for a regular guy to get elected much above state level, and even state races are becoming prohibitively expensive to enter.
The recent news articles on the candidates financial positions have been very interesting. I don't remember the exact figures and the numbers are always reported as ranges, but it was eye opening.

Romney has a net worth between 200 and 300 million.

Giuliani $30 mil. Made more than $11 mil last year giving speeches. This alone I wonder about because he gave more than 120 speeches last year. At around $100K per speech I would like to know how many organizations there are that can justify paying that kind of money to an ex-mayor.

Clintons have a net worth between 10 and 50 milllion. When Slick ***** won the Whitehouse he didn't even own his own house.

McCain's is worth 20 - 30 mil. Married into wealth.

Edwards $30 million. Trial lawyer.

Obama is the poor one. 500K to 1 mil. Although he has just signed book deals with advances of almost $2 mil. Give him a couple years and he'll be making speech money like Giuliani.

Carrera said:
As I said, the situation is worrying. :( Modern U.S. fundamentalism bases itself on an absolutely literal interpretation of the Bible. If Genesis states God made the world in seven days, then seven days it is. :confused:
I saw a TV show about what creationists believe the world was like back in the day. It featured a portly working man, his wife, daughter, and pet dinosaur. They lived next to the man's best friend who had a wife and son. Both worked in a rock quarry and vacationed in a town called Rock Vegas. I forget the name of the show.

Wurm said:

Then you have the "a poor man wants to be rich, a rich man wants to be king" syndrome. Guys like Ross Perot ran on his own money but was in it for the power/ego trip. He didn't want more money, so didn't need the influence of office for that.
Chris Rock Said: "Shaq is rich, the guy who writes Shaq's check, he's wealthy.":D

So let's get over the "relative" money issue, my original point was only those who are "Fanatical enough, or greedy enough" to subject themselves to the system of the electoral process participate. Perot was the former and happened to be the latter already. Huge generalizations I grant you but, if you're looking for the "generalization" I intend then look at any list of the "movers and shakers" of the world, the Forbes list for the monetary example, and it would seem that the most successful, innovative and talented people ARE NOT solving the world's (America's) toughest POLITICAL problems.

Why not?

Why would anyone like that want to subject themselves to the public scrutiny, constant ridicule, and demands of an elective system? (unless they fit the former catagories, or your excellent Poor man / King anaolgy) Democracy is not a very good system for efficiency. Trying to make everybody happy, makes almost no one happy.

Merit is still the best system, and merit is not a democratic process. Draft the brightest and best ("how" you identify them is another topic, I'm still talking "generalizations".:D )

We run our businesses on merit, hopefully, our military on merit, hopefully, and yet we rule our nation using a system of what seems to have become a "choosing of the lesser of available evils,"and only after vetting them through an increasingly sensationalistic media frenzy. ("evil," used here as a noun, not being a literal adjective in every politicians case, but rather just the use of a common idiom to illustrate a point.)

Would you want to work in your office if they elected your boss? How would the home life be if everything were based on democracy. I bet the Brady Bunch would have pretty much been able to stay up all night and eat ice-cream for breakfast, and forget homework.:D

I've never watched "Survivor," but if I understand the concept of the game, I don't think it's designed as a blueprint for how to actually "survive" should you find yourself marooned and needing to actually "survive." Democracy is a noble idea, but American "representative Democracy," in it's present form is simply.............broken(?) Help me with a better word.... g'night.:)

Last night I had a reminder I am definitely onto something here. I was watching ABC News which featured Billy Graham. Former U.S. Presidents sat silently, heads bowed in prayer as a huge crowd paid homage to the ageing evangelist.
Maybe people have just come to take all of this for granted but, frankly, I find it pretty worrying. When you have U.S. Presidents praying in public, isn't this comparable, say, to the wife of a future Turkish Prime Minister entering political offices dressed in a veil - a cause of great concern amongst secular Turks? I mean, these are world leaders for heavens sake yet we keep getting reports of prayer meetings held in official buildings, Blair included.
Even more worrying is so far I've not heard one word uttered by Billy Graham against the human rights abuses carried out in Iraq. Someone else clearly had the same thought below:

"I wanna attack another country! Call the Evangelist!" And Billy would come, and they'd pray together, and lo! There would be an attack! In Vietnam, Afghanistan, Kuwait and Iraq to name but a few, each one with the blessing of the Reverend Billy. Millions of innocent people have been slain with the permission of the Christian pastor.
'Thou Shalt not Kill'. That's one of the top ten commandments Moses brought down from the mountain after his chat with God. Jesus endorsed that commandment, and went further, making unwarranted anger and derision of others even more serious.
So, just because Mr. Graham is not the one to pull the trigger - if he merely condones the sending of his brethren to a far off country to kill or be killed does that remove him from the culpability? Or does it not make him the one called for valued advice because he is considered a 'holy' man, and who gave his approval for the slaughter an enemy of the Man of Peace he claims to represent?
Examine further advice from Jesus, who rejected the old vengeance cry of 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth',"

Bro Deal said:
I saw a TV show about what creationists believe the world was like back in the day. It featured a portly working man, his wife, daughter, and pet dinosaur. They lived next to the man's best friend who had a wife and son. Both worked in a rock quarry and vacationed in a town called Rock Vegas. I forget the name of the show.

Well, at least some people out there are catching on. I forward this:

"Were those words even considered when they bowed their heads and consulted 'God' at the daily 'prayer breakfast' inthe Whitehouse, or in 'the Prayer Room' created by Congress in the Capitol, before giving orders to blitz Afghanistan and Iraq? Hardly likely.

The most ruthless exploiters of the 'new world' have reached the top and enjoy the power, spreading their world wide a huger version of the previously omnipotent British Empire, now reduced to the role of leeching sychophant to its former colony.. Both those greedy corrupt hypocritical powers brandish the name of a man executed for exposing the corruption and hypocrisy of a government and system, not unlike their own, in anoccupied country in the Middle East two thousand years ago.

Although anti-Semitic, Graham supports Zionism on the grounds that a Jewish state is a prelude to 'Armageddon', and,as the long-time trusted clean-shaven Rasputin to the Whitehouse, he is largely responsible for the molding of President Bush into an Armageddon-fixated, God-fearing millennial warrior, programmed to "live in anticipation and assist in theSecond Coming."

The gospel that Billy Graham and his evangelist brothers preach is false, and has been seriously damaging the emotions, minds and spirits of simple people in America and the world for more than half a century. Their utmost blasphemy, to have transformed Jesus into a god and twisted his words, keeping him nailed to the cross with nails of lies."

There are ten in all. There's also the one about "not bearing false witness" which I guess also means it's wrong to tell folks Iraq had weapons of mass destruction that justified invasion.
I think the last commentator had a good point. The situation today seems very similar to that of the Pharisees and givers of the law in Jesus's own time. Those folks were big on prayers but fell far short when measured by actual humanity and fair play.
Just like evangelical politicians, the Pharisees made a big deal out of public prayers but when challenged to act ethically, crucified the messangers.
wonder if Billy Graham ever told the Bushes and Clintons that maybe war is only justified when it's self defence (i.e. against an invading army such as Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan).
After all, Muhammad Ali became an outcast for sticking up for the Vietnamese and it would be nice to hear Bily Graham likewise speak out against the deaths of 500,000 Iraqis, 3,500 U.S. soldiers and some 30,000 injured.
I think there must be messages of peace in the Bible and the Koran that run contrary to the interpretations of these politicians today (as well as Islamic extremists who also bend religion to suit their own ends).

Colorado Ryder said:
Isn't there only Ten Commandments?

Carrera said:
I think there must be messages of peace in the Bible and the Koran that run contrary to the interpretations of these politicians today (as well as Islamic extremists who also bend religion to suit their own ends).
If you read either of them you might know what you're talking about.

Carrera said:

"Were those words even considered when they bowed their heads and consulted 'God' at the daily 'prayer breakfast' inthe Whitehouse, or in 'the Prayer Room' created by Congress in the Capitol, before giving orders to blitz Afghanistan and Iraq? Hardly likely.
(end quote=carrera)

it is undeniable that there is utter disregard for the fundamentals of church and state seperation as things currently stand in the us.

when all the conjecture that has gone 'round here regarding this topic is pushed aside, one thing seems to stand out as a certainty, that for otherwise good people to kill each other there is some basis of religion involved, be it faith in some twisted interpretation of (for example) christianity, islamic, corporate, financial, or patriotic ideology (and yes, i do mean the latter three are held by some to be intrinsic to any religion in terms of providing justification for killing) and it goes to follow that the us is as poisoned by these extremist beliefs and their outcomes as any jihad driven terrorist.

of course, one has to use the term terrorist, so conveniently levied at arab region occupants or anything other than the us for that matter, without discrimination as applied here because the us is, by any measure, the penultimate global terrorist.

after all, what real difference does it make if the killing is caused by high tech taxpayer bought, corporate manufactured depleted uranium bombs, "smart"
2000 pound bunker busting bombs or cluster bombs over improvised explosive devices in the final analysis? is not the latter example just the "shock and awe" so publicized as being righteously embraced by the us, meted out on a budget?

My position is this: I'm aware I come across as seemingly "down on religion" but the truth is it's really organised, political religion that bothers me, not personal belief.
Your point about reading the Bible and Koran for yourself is a good one. Why don't people do that for a change? Why do people simply accept organisational interpretations of religion?
I read the Bible when I was younger and have never come across any passage where Jesus teaches to kill and make war. How can Bush possibly be a Christian? I mean, I'm not saying you should turn the other cheek when under genuine attack but, for me, Bush hasn't proven America was seriously under threat from Iraq. He simply invaded. He looked at the figures for presumed fatalities and shrugged it off. A figure of 50,000 dead souls seemingly means nothing to him or his sidekick Blair. Does he really give a hoot about the American conscripts or Iraqi children who gety caught up in the mayhem?
As for political Islam, it's the same. While Muhammad Ali gave money to Jewish projects and retirement homes in New York, clerics today spew out political hatred and blow themselves up on buses.
This is why secular folks like me can't get to grips with organised religion.

Colorado Ryder said:
If you read either of them you might know what you're talking about.

"it is undeniable that there is utter disregard for the fundamentals of church and state seperation as things currently stand in the us."

There now seems to be a global battle between American, fundamentalist Christianity and political Islam. While the terrorists are willing to blow up ordinary people in subways, skyscrapers and airports, Christian fundamentalists are likewise willing to kidnap some suspect or other off the street (without a trial) and then have that individual tortured in another country.
Excuse me but did Jesus really teach, "Thou shalt torture thine enemies" and did Muhammad likewise recommend hijacking planes?

"and it goes to follow that the us is as poisoned by these extremist beliefs and their outcomes as any jihad driven terrorist."

I posed a fairly simple question earlier on: A guy was stood in the street with a stall filled with home-made paddles. At one stage, he strikes an object with the paddle to demonstrate its use and then describes how best to inflict pain - messages he apparently got after a conversation with God. Another woman is seen smiling before she beats her son with a switch for not having done early morning chores.
So, why weren't these folks arrested and charged?
In one case there was a failure to provide State education and in the other case overly extreme violence towards minors was being promoted. The by-product of that system, seen in another documentary, was a teenage girl who stood in the streets with placards that read: "God hates America!", "God hates fags!", "God hates Jews!"

"of course, one has to use the term terrorist, so conveniently levied at arab region occupants or anything other than the us for that matter, without discrimination as applied here because the us is, by any measure, the penultimate global terrorist."

Now, even the Arabs are getting tired of extreme Islam. More educated Gazans are in despair over their situation, especially after the kidnap of that B.B.C. journalist. They just want stability and discussion. I don't know if more moderate Christians in America feel the same way about Bush and recognise him for being a fanatic too. Maybe one day level headed Moslems and Americans will simply tire of the religous extremists who claim to be acting in their favour, in the name of religion.

"is not the latter example just the "shock and awe" so publicized as being righteously embraced by the us, meted out on a budget?"

The bottom line seems to be the U.S. cannot handle it's position after the exit of the USSR. They are being driven by short-sited, narrow goals based on capitalism, oil and imperialism. It's incredibly close to the situation regarding Imperial Naval Athens when the Athenians couldn't control their greed and ambition, losing allies throughout the Greek World and then falling into war with Sparta and Sicily.
Now, of course, Gorbachev is warning Russia feels threatened by U.S. expansion into Poland which is why Putin is threatening to turn Europe into a powder keg by revamping the entire Russian nuclear arsenal and establishing multiple warhead rocket systems. Maybe Poland will buckle when it realises it could be targeted by hundreds of Russian missiles as a response to the U.S. missile shield and certainly Germany and France do not wish to see another arms buildup in Europe.
All these tensions could explode into waves of anti-American protests, unless perhaps Obama gets into office and changes foreign policy.

lyotard said:
Carrera said:

(end quote=carrera)

it is undeniable that there is utter disregard for the fundamentals of church and state seperation as things currently stand in the us.

when all the conjecture that has gone 'round here regarding this topic is pushed aside, one thing seems to stand out as a certainty, that for otherwise good people to kill each other there is some basis of religion involved, be it faith in some twisted interpretation of (for example) christianity, islamic, corporate, financial, or patriotic ideology (and yes, i do mean the latter three are held by some to be intrinsic to any religion in terms of providing justification for killing) and it goes to follow that the us is as poisoned by these extremist beliefs and their outcomes as any jihad driven terrorist.

of course, one has to use the term terrorist, so conveniently levied at arab region occupants or anything other than the us for that matter, without discrimination as applied here because the us is, by any measure, the penultimate global terrorist.

after all, what real difference does it make if the killing is caused by high tech taxpayer bought, corporate manufactured depleted uranium bombs, "smart"
2000 pound bunker busting bombs or cluster bombs over improvised explosive devices in the final analysis? is not the latter example just the "shock and awe" so publicized as being righteously embraced by the us, meted out on a budget?

Carrera said:
My position is this: I'm aware I come across as seemingly "down on religion" but the truth is it's really organised, political religion that bothers me, not personal belief.
This is why secular folks like me can't get to grips with organised religion.
The problem you have with organized religion, I suspect, is the same one that any free thinking individual must confront at some point and it is "something like" this: "The intemediate symbolism of organized religion should not run counter to, or corrupt, the overall message."

A Sunni Muslim will kill a Shia based on an interpretation of, among other things, the role of the twelve Imams and / or the significance of Mohammed's brother-in-law Ali. The truth of, "There is but one God, and his name is Allah" and its message of brotherhood is lost to the interpretations of the dogma associated with the organization of the followers. Same thing in Christianity, why a Protestant in Northern Ireland would bomb a Catholic girl's school (or the other way round) in the name of the same savior. Incomprehensible to you or me based solely on religious difference.

Why would a man hate or even kill another based solely on his race? Sexual orientation? Religion? Nationality? Allegiance to a Soccer team? Whatever reason, when the overall truth we all share is that we are one people, from one planet. Societies can't seem to allow our actions to wrap around that question in a "practical" manner. We would have to solve the world's inequities in order to do that. Instead, we rationalize a different approach. We create intrmediate differences to disquise away our most basic commonalities. Duh that a rational individual would have a problem with that, but as it is with committee rule, "none of us is as dumb as ALL of us." :D

The question you always seam to duck is motivation. We all point to the inconsistancies of the Intermediate actions and shake our heads at how can this be. "How" is easy, it's through exploitation, "why" is the question. The differences are not a creation of faith, religion, in itself, the belief in a higher power does not create seperatism any more than race creates seperatism, children from different races, if raised without prejudice do not instinctually adopt it. They do however discover the concept of "mine" very quickly. Prejudices are social behavior, no matter the justifications, and "politically" (used inthe broader sense of social interactions rather than in the limited sense of a type of government) motivated for the justification of the advancement and/or subjugation of one group over another for a specific goal.

The key is always in the motive.

Carrera said:
"it is undeniable that there is utter disregard for the fundamentals of church and state seperation as things currently stand in the us."

There now seems to be a global battle between American, fundamentalist Christianity and political Islam. While the terrorists are willing to blow up ordinary people in subways, skyscrapers and airports, Christian fundamentalists are likewise willing to kidnap some suspect or other off the street (without a trial) and then have that individual tortured in another country.
Excuse me but did Jesus really teach, "Thou shalt torture thine enemies" and did Muhammad likewise recommend hijacking planes?

"and it goes to follow that the us is as poisoned by these extremist beliefs and their outcomes as any jihad driven terrorist."

I posed a fairly simple question earlier on: A guy was stood in the street with a stall filled with home-made paddles. At one stage, he strikes an object with the paddle to demonstrate its use and then describes how best to inflict pain - messages he apparently got after a conversation with God. Another woman is seen smiling before she beats her son with a switch for not having done early morning chores.
So, why weren't these folks arrested and charged?
In one case there was a failure to provide State education and in the other case overly extreme violence towards minors was being promoted. The by-product of that system, seen in another documentary, was a teenage girl who stood in the streets with placards that read: "God hates America!", "God hates fags!", "God hates Jews!"

"of course, one has to use the term terrorist, so conveniently levied at arab region occupants or anything other than the us for that matter, without discrimination as applied here because the us is, by any measure, the penultimate global terrorist."

Now, even the Arabs are getting tired of extreme Islam. More educated Gazans are in despair over their situation, especially after the kidnap of that B.B.C. journalist. They just want stability and discussion. I don't know if more moderate Christians in America feel the same way about Bush and recognise him for being a fanatic too. Maybe one day level headed Moslems and Americans will simply tire of the religous extremists who claim to be acting in their favour, in the name of religion.

"is not the latter example just the "shock and awe" so publicized as being righteously embraced by the us, meted out on a budget?"

The bottom line seems to be the U.S. cannot handle it's position after the exit of the USSR. They are being driven by short-sited, narrow goals based on capitalism, oil and imperialism. It's incredibly close to the situation regarding Imperial Naval Athens when the Athenians couldn't control their greed and ambition, losing allies throughout the Greek World and then falling into war with Sparta and Sicily.
Now, of course, Gorbachev is warning Russia feels threatened by U.S. expansion into Poland which is why Putin is threatening to turn Europe into a powder keg by revamping the entire Russian nuclear arsenal and establishing multiple warhead rocket systems. Maybe Poland will buckle when it realises it could be targeted by hundreds of Russian missiles as a response to the U.S. missile shield and certainly Germany and France do not wish to see another arms buildup in Europe.
All these tensions could explode into waves of anti-American protests, unless perhaps Obama gets into office and changes foreign policy.

I've read a lot of this thread and I am unsure to be honest.
It seems that there is a significant political lobby in the USA called the Christian Right.
And it seems that in order to get elected that Reagan and GW reached out to this lobby in order to get elected.

Does this mean that Reagan/GW actually implemented policies of this lobby?
I'm not close enough to know if they did.
I do think that Bush has gone further to engage with this lobby than Reagan ever did.

There is considerable disquiet in the USA from all political backgrounds regarding the influence that this Christian Right lobby exercises.
Disquiet ranging from the division of Church/State, wholehearted and unbiased support of Zionism in the Middle East, the apparent rejection of the principles of the Founding Fathers of the USA which enshrined the basic freedoms which the Christian Right seem to oppose.

I've read some of the views that the Christian Right hold.
Their views tend to disregard science, rational thought and truth extolled in the Bible.
Fudamentalism of whatever hue is dangerous, if it is allowed to go unchecked.

It seems that there is a significant political lobby in the USA called the Christian Right.
And it seems that in order to get elected that Reagan and GW reached out to this lobby in order to get elected.
There is confusion with the CR and a conservative. Two complete different things. The CR did lend a decisive hand to GW's second election. With the recent death of Jerry Falwell we read where he had a major hand in Reagans election. What handed the election to Reagan was Jimmy Carter's incompetence. But Reagan's election was the start of visable CR involvement. People forget the Jimmy Carter was a fundlementalist too.
Both CR and the liberals are a small but very vocal and active minority. The shouting they do makes it seem as if mainstream America is one or the other.

Reagan implemented conservative policies which many of the CR embrace. But Reagan was a hero to the conservatives... GW is not, but they voted for him because of the dislike of what the Democrats threw at us. There is a big difference there. But ,I really do not see Bush's policies implementing anything the CR stand s for. Many of the CR actually are very upset with him.

The conservatives are people who want value for their tax money. They do not want to spend it on anything, unless it actually works. They want accountability from their politicians. The greatest misconception is that they are against the poor. That is wrong. They are against programs that cost the taxpayer that do not work. If you examine the programs set up by the public using vtheir own money instead of someone else's, usually it is conservatives at work.
In my community, I work with the Dorthy Day Movement. Basically it is based in the Catholic Church, but many faiths are involved. Whenever we are in need of money, it is the conservatives that help us on a local basis. That was my reasoning for converting from liberalism to conservatism back in my younger days.

Disquiet ranging from the division of Church/State, wholehearted and unbiased support of Zionism in the Middle East, the apparent rejection of the principles of the Founding Fathers of the USA which enshrined the basic freedoms which the Christian Right seem to oppose.
I know first hand where the disquiet frustration comes from. There is a movement in America to allow non-christian faiths to implement their agenda, but when a christian/catholic does, people scream "Seperation of church and state."

Their views tend to disregard science, rational thought and truth extolled in the Bible.
This is a problem with the modern media. When you read a story about the CR you see radicalism. Of course there are radicals, but they are such a small minority of the CR. The truth is that they are a very moral people that want what's best for their community. They are taught the Adam/Eve story, but so was I in the Catholic school system. And we were considered liberal. They do base their philosophy on Biblical teachings, and some of them distort them.

"Their views tend to disregard science, rational thought and truth extolled in the Bible.Fudamentalism of whatever hue is dangerous, if it is allowed to go unchecked."

I think religion can be interesting and don't deny it has importance. I often wonder why people don't simply read the N.T. for themselves with a more open, analytical mind and also in context.
These days, religion has been exploited for political ends and Bush is merely using the religion as a pretext for his idea of American, global domination. This is the old belief (often used by Kings or Tsars) that God wishes a particular leader to be in a particular position.

limerickman said:
I've read a lot of this thread and I am unsure to be honest.

I'm not close enough to know if they did.
I do think that Bush has gone further to engage with this lobby than Reagan ever did.

There is considerable disquiet in the USA from all political backgrounds regarding the influence that this Christian Right lobby exercises.

Carrera said:
"Their views tend to disregard science, rational thought and truth extolled in the Bible.Fudamentalism of whatever hue is dangerous, if it is allowed to go unchecked."

I think religion can be interesting and don't deny it has importance. I often wonder why people don't simply read the N.T. for themselves with a more open, analytical mind and also in context.
These days, religion has been exploited for political ends and Bush is merely using the religion as a pretext for his idea of American, global domination. This is the old belief (often used by Kings or Tsars) that God wishes a particular leader to be in a particular position.
Context. Let's revisit your favorites, the Greeks, for a moment. along with the works of Ptolemy (among others) the classical greeks, ( I'll choose Plato and Aristotle as "composite characters," so favored a device in modern history telling), were pretty darn sure that the Universe as they knew it revolved around a stationary Earth.

This cosmological view lent itself, contextually at the time, to the view that man was without a doubt, as the master of the center of the universe, devinely placed. The Greeks built a pretty firm foundation on this seemingly firm platform, developing a system of philosophy that Plato used to identify the key archetypes of human endeavor. Plato went so far as to say that the physical world had no valuable substance, was not important in understanding man's place in the universe. Aristotle differed of course, but yet we must remember that this cosmological system of divine placement trancended the Greeks and survived in the west until the scientific Revolution of the middle ages.

Christianity came along in the west during the interim and revived Plato's concepts of divine revelation, once again relegating the more naturalistic approaches of Aristotle.

What's this got to do with anything? Consider the "foundational shaking" of modern thought brought forth when Copernicus (others) showed that the Earth was NOT the center of the universe. The proverbial "rug" was pulled out from underneath the basic "proof" of God that had survived for thousands of years from the first time man gazed upwards at the stars. The FACT, contextually, of man's divine relationship to God was broken. The PROOF was gone in an instant by the understanding of eliptical orbits about the sun. Faith became primary for religion, science contradictory in many cases.

The concepts of good works, up to that point, culminating in the dreadful practice of "indulgence," or the "service to God" in the Crusades faded with the ideas of Luther and others. No longer was Man God's partner on Earth, here to discover his relationship TO God, his kinship if you will, but here was a new ideology that rather than being able to "earn" your way to heaven, purchase it if you will, take the step toward the everlasting based on your own good works, now, only through the grace of God, salvation given as a gift to the un-worthy, could man recieve his oneness to God. This conceptual challenge rent the west apart. It also marked the beginnings of a very dynamic period in western history of schism, reformation and scientific revolution. The concepts of the natural and the divine were seperated, God was trancendant of nature, not of nature.

The literal approach to the word of God was born BECAUSE of man's "contextual" realizations of his own unworthiness set forth in the new cosmology. So, many now continue to beat that "unworthiness" into themselves, practicing blind faith over what they see as previously fallable natural observation (with or without paddle.) It doesn't matter what science says, God trancends science, can manipulate it, is interdependant of it. The stars are not Gods, God is not part of the "analytical world."

"It would seem negligent, that once we become firm in our beliefs, we fail to understand WHY we believe WHAT we believe."
-Anselm, 11th century Arch-Bishop of Canterbury

The same questions have been asked, and will be asked anew, for as long as we lack a complete understanding of our place in the Universe. Super String Theory anyone?:)

Plato went so far as to say that the physical world had no valuable substance, was not important in understanding man's place in the universe."

You refer to the theory of ideas. Many Greek philosophers addressed the matter of perception and senses. Put simply, you know what's going on around you through your eyes, ears, smell, touch and taste, correct? However, my dog perceives things differently as he can smell far better than I can. So, to put it bluntly, if another dog happens to have urinated on the garden wall, my dog will immediately be aware of something I'm not as my eyes and ears aren't going to match his sense of smell.
Thus, the senses are our guide to perception but they're basically limited. Sometimes they can even be distorted.
So, Plato had this idea of, say, a perfect circle. You can draw a circle on a bit of paper and it may look like a circle but if you analyse it scientifically you may find it's not really quite a circle at all. How do you know? Well, they assumed there has to be a perfect circle somewhere (maybe in the spiritual world) that constitutes the perfect idea of a circle. Somewhere we have a spiritual awareness of that reality.
All of this stuff interested the Pythagoreans who were also fascinated by number and reincarnation.
At any rate, all of this leads us to perception.
In the modern world we talk of atoms and electrons and use miscroscopes to view cells or X-rays to view cellular tissue. We call a cell a cell and an electron an electron. Still, the Greeks questioned that reality really was that which you perceived it to be (physically)..

"Christianity came along in the west during the interim and revived Plato's concepts of divine revelation...."

I take your point. The N.T. and St Paul teach there is perfect goodness we all fall short of so you could only go to heaven through grace. However, the Gnostics went into it a lot deeper as they claimed they had access to the deeper secrets of Jesus's teachings and there was a divine revelation as you say.

"The PROOF was gone in an instant by the understanding of eliptical orbits about the sun. Faith became primary for religion, science contradictory in many cases."

I'm not so sure the Greeks, Babylonians and ancient Egyptians didn't know much more about stars and planets than, say, mediaevel monks. The Egyptians knew about the dog star and I believe many Greeks understood the earth revolved as a satellite.

"now, only through the grace of God, salvation given as a gift to the un-worthy, could man recieve his oneness to God."

Yes, this was classic St Paul. The snag with Orthodox Christianity is that if you study even the accepted texts, it seems the apostles didn't always agree on everything. St Paul and St Peter were seemingly at odds. Some apostles urged all believers to become spiritual Jews and get circumcised and that upset St Paul.
Here is the problem for the fundamentalists and please consider this carefully: The fundamentalist states every word of the Bible is true. But how can St Paul be right and St Peter be right if they both disagreed and were historically proven to have disagreed (according to Church history)? Surely it makes sense to read the book in context and use some basic human interpretation as to what Jesus actually taught? Even the Gnostics at the time were considered to be Christians and they left writings behind as well.

"So, many now continue to beat that "unworthiness" into themselves, practicing blind faith over what they see as previously fallable natural observation (with or without paddle.) "

Maybe Orthodoxy was bad for Christianity. It became so dogmatic and terrified of analysis that all of the early Christian teachings were just lumped into one, simplistic summary and became rigid: "Jesus was crucified for your sins, was reurrected, was equal to Yahweh, God incarnate, believe and ye shall be saved. Finito!" The more complex, mystical stuff was simply burned or rejected or stamped out. Still, you ask yourself what would a Christian or Nero's time actually have belied as opposed to a modern Bishop or priest.

I have no idea why Jews used to stone adultresses in the streets of Jerusalem or why nuns abused and flogged orphans in convents. Neither do I know why Moslems blow themselves up on buses or refer to non-Moslems as infidels. Even so, there are good Christians such as Mother Theresa and good Moslems such as Muhammad Ali or Malcolm X. There are decent, tolerant Jews as well, of course.
At a guess, I'd suggest maybe the Bushes, Bin Ladens, Herods and Catholic Conquistadores possibly fear those who don't share their beliefs may be right after all so they try to eliminate this fear by destroying unbelievers. Who knows?

CDAKIAHONDA said:
Context. Let's revisit your favorites, the Greeks, for a moment. along with the works of Ptolemy (among others) the classical greeks, ( I'll choose Plato and Aristotle as "composite characters," so favored a device in modern history telling), were pretty darn sure that the Universe as they knew it revolved around a stationary Earth.

This cosmological view lent itself, contextually at the time, to the view that man was without a doubt, as the master of the center of the universe, devinely placed. The Greeks built a pretty firm foundation on this seemingly firm platform, developing a system of philosophy that Plato used to identify the key archetypes of human endeavor. Plato went so far as to say that the physical world had no valuable substance, was not important in understanding man's place in the universe. Aristotle differed of course, but yet we must remember that this cosmological system of divine placement trancended the Greeks and survived in the west until the scientific Revolution of the middle ages.

Christianity came along in the west during the interim and revived Plato's concepts of divine revelation, once again relegating the more naturalistic approaches of Aristotle.

What's this got to do with anything? Consider the "foundational shaking" of modern thought brought forth when Copernicus (others) showed that the Earth was NOT the center of the universe. The proverbial "rug" was pulled out from underneath the basic "proof" of God that had survived for thousands of years from the first time man gazed upwards at the stars. The FACT, contextually, of man's divine relationship to God was broken. The PROOF was gone in an instant by the understanding of eliptical orbits about the sun. Faith became primary for religion, science contradictory in many cases.

The concepts of good works, up to that point, culminating in the dreadful practice of "indulgence," or the "service to God" in the Crusades faded with the ideas of Luther and others. No longer was Man God's partner on Earth, here to discover his relationship TO God, his kinship if you will, but here was a new ideology that rather than being able to "earn" your way to heaven, purchase it if you will, take the step toward the everlasting based on your own good works, now, only through the grace of God, salvation given as a gift to the un-worthy, could man recieve his oneness to God. This conceptual challenge rent the west apart. It also marked the beginnings of a very dynamic period in western history of schism, reformation and scientific revolution. The concepts of the natural and the divine were seperated, God was trancendant of nature, not of nature.

The literal approach to the word of God was born BECAUSE of man's "contextual" realizations of his own unworthiness set forth in the new cosmology. So, many now continue to beat that "unworthiness" into themselves, practicing blind faith over what they see as previously fallable natural observation (with or without paddle.) It doesn't matter what science says, God trancends science, can manipulate it, is interdependant of it. The stars are not Gods, God is not part of the "analytical world."

"It would seem negligent, that once we become firm in our beliefs, we fail to understand WHY we believe WHAT we believe."
-Anselm, 11th century Arch-Bishop of Canterbury

The same questions have been asked, and will be asked anew, for as long as we lack a complete understanding of our place in the Universe. Super String Theory anyone?:)

Not to debate you on Plato, but while you are right that he distrusted knowledge gained by perception, that's not really the key point. The dog urine analogy, while illustrating the limitations of the senses, doesn't address the issue of "forms" also called "ideas," or "archetypes" and HOW we get to them. Plato's view was that although a "form" is not in itself a substance, every "substance" has a form, an intelligible structure, that which make the substance what it is. He believed that every substance not only possesses a "form" but is also "possessed" by its inherent form. I've never seen "pure beauty," but I know something is "beautiful" because of how it participates in the "idea" of beauty. Aristotle later brought "potentiality" to the mix to reconcile the Platonic forms with the empirical facts of dynamic natural process, but I digress.

The key point from Plato, from a religious context is that if the "forms" exist, and cannot be realized through the senses, they must be "accessed" through the intellect (sorry, no dog). Plato called upon the power of the "dialectic," self critical logic (Rebublic), or he also spoke of a kind of spontaneous recognition by an "intuitive Intellect," a moment of grace, if you will (Symposium.) He talked of a "recollection" of the ideas as the means AND goal of true knowledge. Plato believed that man needed to re-connect with the eternal. Knowlege for Plato was not introduced from the outside, but "led out" from within.

In the Platonic vision, not only did the divine exist, but through philosophy, the human soul could attain knowledge of its own divine immortality. This set Plato apart from the Homeric tradition which set man and Gods apart. Christianity nicley integrated this, oh, digression alert!

The late middle ages revival of Plato by Petrarch was a pivitol period in western history, and many consider him the first man of the Renaissance. Platonic thought, modified through Augustine and Cicero, among others, gave the new "humanists" a philosophical basis compatible with their search for ultimate reality. The notion that the "ideas" such as "beauty" were an essential component for that reality, that imagination, and vision were more significant than logic and dogma, that man could attain direct knowledge of things divine held serious attraction. This shook up the Aristotlian scholastics of the time. Further digression, oops.

Anyway, counter to the closed system approach of natural observation by the more analytical scholastics inspired by Aristotle and later Aquinas,among others, the neo-Platonic view swept up Europe. Humanism was born, and Neoplatonism, based on Plotinus' conceptions portrayed nature as something permeated by divinity, an expression of a "Universal soul", the sun was the "light of god." Revived was the Pythagorean vision of an ordered universe, whose intelligence and language was mathmatics and geometry. Astrology, once given divine placement by Plato, was now again brought to the fore.

Again, what's this **** have to do with anything? You need to quit looking for a way to prove your argument and consider if you actually have one once in a while. In the Platonic view, self realization is the more important, in the Aristotlian view natural observation gains importance. It is critical to note that while this is certainly a gross simplification of the philisophical tradition of the west and I am well aware of that, it is the very difficulty of reconciling these views that often gets us into trouble. "Why" do we believe "what" we believe? See it, or feel it?

But consider this, the two views, in harmony, have achieved much. Copernicus was heavily influenced by the Neoplatonic sacralization of the sun. Kepler found the apprehension of the sun as reflecting the central god-head an impetus for planetary motion, he put it, " (planets)moving around it (sun) in adoration." The Neoplatonic vision of an infinite universe is the prevailing hypothesis today. Western culture, it could be said, is a balance of tensions between Plato and Aristotle. Reason and imagination, immmanence and trancendence, nature and spirit, external world and internal psyche. This polarity is clearly visible within the modern western world, as you note, and Christianity certainly has its own internal dialectic.

So yeah, America has its own dialectic, Fundamentalist and humanist, as does any society, at almost any time in the history of western civilization.

Cheers!