Is an '05 Trek 1500 frame worth upgrading?

lava

Feb 16, 2005
How good is the quality of the 2005 Trek 1500 frame? The guy at my LBS told me when I bought it that the only difference between it and the higher end Al Trek bikes was the components. Is this true? I've slowly been buying better components for it, and I really like the bike, but I'm wondering if I should be buying parts for a better frame.

EDIT: I just checked Trek's site, and it looks like the 1500 is the top-of-the-line Al bike? So I guess my question really should be, how does it compare to other Al frames?

it's also my understanding that all the Alpha Aluminum frames are the same.

Save your money.

Maybe save for whole new bike. :) Half the fun is spending 6 months deciding what to buy!

Well, for the sake of argument, let's say that I prefer an aluminum frame. Is the Trek frame I have a good one compared to other brands?

Good question !
At the moment, I'm hesitating between a Cannondale CAAD5 or a Trek 1500 ... and I was also wondering if the Trek frame is a 'good' one ...
Cannondale CAAD 5 seems to be good, but old ... and the Trek is more recent ... so ...

Of course the frame is worth upgrading. Those who do not like Trek and those who do not like aluminum, and those who dislike both will differ in opinion. You said you like your bike. New, lighter, stiff wheels will make the bike feel like new. New drivetrain components will shift, well, like new. A new seat could be a great relief to tender parts. New carbon parts could be sexy bling in your eyes.

If the frame fits you, hasn't been damaged in a crash and it's only one year old with at most a couple thousand miles on it, then it's definately a worthy candidate for upgrading. Don't let the riff raff dissuade you. :mad:

Define "upgrade". If you're talking about slapping on a D/A 10 speed group then I'd say no way. As things wear out you may want to take a step up the line in quality, but the best bang for your buck would be wheels. All Shimano 9 speed stuff from Tiagra up to D/A are functionally identical and there has been a long and hard debate as to the merits of the high end group vs the low end. Sure, maybe a few grams difference here and there but hardly noticeable. Ride it like ya stole it and worry about the upgrades when they need replacement.

lava said:
How good is the quality of the 2005 Trek 1500 frame? The guy at my LBS told me when I bought it that the only difference between it and the higher end Al Trek bikes was the components. Is this true? I've slowly been buying better components for it, and I really like the bike, but I'm wondering if I should be buying parts for a better frame.

EDIT: I just checked Trek's site, and it looks like the 1500 is the top-of-the-line Al bike? So I guess my question really should be, how does it compare to other Al frames?

Whatever bike shop you went to lied to you. ZR9000 is Trek's top of the line aluminum and you'll find it on the very next step up in their line of bikes.

If you like aluminum check out their higher end ZR bikes. Also, Trek's Super Sale is coming up between the 27th and the 1st. I bet you could get a really good deal on a bike.

capwater said:
Define "upgrade". If you're talking about slapping on a D/A 10 speed group then I'd say no way. As things wear out you may want to take a step up the line in quality, but the best bang for your buck would be wheels.
Well, I've already put Campy Zonda wheels on it, and upgraded the brakes and crank so everything is Ultegra but the shifters (which are 105). I was thinking, in a a year or two, that I'd get the frame bead blasted to plain aluminum and clear coated, then go entirely Campy Centaur. That's about as fancy as I'd ever get.

Fugazi said:
Good question !
At the moment, I'm hesitating between a Cannondale CAAD5 or a Trek 1500 ... and I was also wondering if the Trek frame is a 'good' one ...
Cannondale CAAD 5 seems to be good, but old ... and the Trek is more recent ... so ...
Some may know that I **** on about the EFBe test, but the omnipresence of the Cannondales on the EFBe list of tried and tested frames would definitely tip me towards them

http://www.efbe.de/testergebnisse/rennwiege/enindex.php

I have the 2004 1500.
Upgrade your tires.

lava said:

A full group upgrade will cost you almost as much as a new bike. Minimal diff between 105 and Ultegra shifters. I'd ride it for awhile longer and either sell it when you get a new bike or keep it as a spare/beater if you can swing it financiaqlly.

lava said:
Doesn't look like any Trek frames were tested?.
:) it's a controversial question because EFBe no longer publish the failed frames, so we can only guess which frames have been tested and failed. Apparently it costs a bit of money to get a frame tested, so the rumour goes that the bigger companies are the ones sending their frames over.

Those Trek AL frames are most likely made in the same Taiwanese factories as Giant, Raleigh, Specialized and many others. Quite serviceable. The point is upgrading is not usually financially the best move compared to a complete higher end bike.