Is an Alcoholic a Drug Addict?

well if u go through a 18 pk of beer everyday like my neighbor i would concider beer a drug.

LB CYCLIST said:
well if u go through a 18 pk of beer everyday like my neighbor i would concider beer a drug.
Poor spelling, grammar, and lack of punctuation indicates that you've been joining them.

marrykonta said:
Most people have the idea that alcohol is not a drug. Hey, let's face it, it's legal to drink, as long as you're old enough by the local law wherever you are. So that's OK then. It's seen as socially Acceptable.

But of course alcohol is a drug, and alcoholism is just as much a form of drug addiction, as serious as being addicted to marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or any other "Non-legal" drug. The problem is that so many people regard alcohol as just another beverage.

An alcoholic can't live without the "high" that it gives them. Just to re-inforce the point the Food and Drug Administration has in fact classified alcohol as a drug. So by any sensible person's definition an alcoholic is a drug addict.

It's not all doom and gloom, alcoholics can get help for their addiction, just as addicts to other substances can. I'm sure we have all heard of Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.). These are groups of people in pretty much every town, usually run by ex alcoholics, who meets at regular intervals, and work on "The twelve steps to recovery." This is a hard road, and it is accepted that an alcoholic is always an alcoholic and always "recovering."

If you believe that you may be addicted to alcohol and you want to do something about it then get help quickly. The sooner the better. It is everyone's right to have a good long, healthy life. It's not too late. As always, the best time to start your recovery is right now.

I'm not an alcoholic, so I can't say whether it's the alcohol itself that is addicting or it's the taste and habit of having it in your mouth is addicting.

IMO, alcohol is as much a drug as cigarettes or marijuana. While I don't drink, smoke cigarettes, or smoke up, I don't see a problem with it as long as you can keep your behavior under control and you aren't driving (alcohol and marijuana). If alcohol is considered a drug, coffee should be as well.

GT Fanatic said:
I'm not an alcoholic, so I can't say whether it's the alcohol itself that is addicting or it's the taste and habit of having it in your mouth is addicting.

IMO, alcohol is as much a drug as cigarettes or marijuana. While I don't drink, smoke cigarettes, or smoke up, I don't see a problem with it as long as you can keep your behavior under control and you aren't driving (alcohol and marijuana). If alcohol is considered a drug, coffee should be as well.
Coffee IS considered a drug. Caffeine is actually molecularly pretty close to cocaine. It is not regulated as a drug because you'll get a bad headache long before you get high. It's not as powerful as cocaine and is more toxic.

garage sale GT said:
Coffee IS considered a drug. Caffeine is actually molecularly pretty close to cocaine. It is not regulated as a drug because you'll get a bad headache long before you get high. It's not as powerful as cocaine and is more toxic.

The coffee itself isn't a drug, the caffeine is.

GT Fanatic said:

Splitting hairs a bit. So, marijuana itself isn't a drug, the THC is? Beer is not a drug, the alcohol is? A cigarette is not a drug, the nicotine + other stuff is?

GT Fanatic said:
Right, I totally agree with your grammarian analysis, but the post I was answering says "coffee should be [considered a drug] as well." & I just followed his lead.

Paradoxically, caffeine is not the heavily regulated drug cocaine is because caffeine is more toxic and you will get a bad headache and nausea if you try to get high from coffee.

garage sale GT said:
I recall there was quite the hubbub in the 1980s when something called "the Harvard study" allegedly showed that AA based treatment actually didn't work at all and may have driven up the suicide rate as well as things like binge drinking and rearrests. What ever happened with that?
They went out for a few drinks. After doing so they concluded that drinking alcohol was fun and AA was Draconian.:p

Scotty_Dog said:
Splitting hairs a bit. So, marijuana itself isn't a drug, the THC is? Beer is not a drug, the alcohol is? A cigarette is not a drug, the nicotine + other stuff is?

Yes, aren't you? I'm not arguing with you over this. Everyone knows that THC is a drug. Smoke a marijuana leaf and it ain't gonna get you high. There's no THC in it.

You seriously need some entertainment. Are you familiar with Netflix?

GT Fanatic said:
Yes, aren't you? I'm not arguing with you over this. Everyone knows that THC is a drug. Smoke a marijuana leaf and it ain't gonna get you high. There's no THC in it. You seriously need some entertainment. Are you familiar with Netflix?

I just didn't understand why you were splitting hairs regarding caffeine in coffee, so I listed a few more things to be overly redundant. Glad you aren't arguing with me about my sarcastic points of discussion. By the way, THC is found in declining levels in all parts of the plant: flowers, leaves, stalks, and seeds. Smoking a marijuana leaf will indeed get you high.

Scotty_Dog said:
I just didn't understand why you were splitting hairs regarding caffeine in coffee, so I listed a few more things to be overly redundant. Glad you aren't arguing with me about my sarcastic points of discussion. By the way, THC is found in declining levels in all parts of the plant: flowers, leaves, stalks, and seeds. Smoking a marijuana leaf will indeed get you high.

The leaves will get you high? Okay, buddy, try it. All it'll do is give you a big, mean, headache. The only parts of a marijuana plant that will get you high are the stalks and the buds. The seeds do NOT get you high, but what they WILL do is make you grow (well, not "grow" at all, really...) impotent after time. Why do you think people don't smoke the seeds? DUH!

You're the one who was splitting hairs. Don't fault me for your anal-retentive disorder.

GT Fanatic said:
You're the one who was splitting hairs. Don't fault me for your anal-retentive disorder.

You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you? You know, the kind that gets aggressively defensive when confronted with facts by someone more knowledgeable than yourself. I've seen it many times before, and sadly, there is no cure. Gotta go watch some Netflix now - thanks for the tip.

Scotty_Dog said:
You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you? You know, the kind that gets aggressively defensive when confronted with facts by someone more knowledgeable than yourself. I've seen it many times before, and sadly, there is no cure. Gotta go watch some Netflix now - thanks for the tip.

Listen up, dumbass. I'm not the one whining about coffee being a drug, and you're the one that keeps responding, wanting to debate the fact. There's a thing called DECAFFEINATED COFFEE. Maybe you've heard of it? WHY do you think that is? It's because the CAFFEINE is the drug, you idiot, not the coffee!

Now, go get a life, loser.

GT Fanatic said:
Listen up, dumbass. I'm not the one whining about coffee being a drug, and you're the one that keeps responding, wanting to debate the fact. There's a thing called DECAFFEINATED COFFEE. Maybe you've heard of it? WHY do you think that is? It's because the CAFFEINE is the drug, you idiot, not the coffee!
Well, there's also theobromine....

marrykonta said:
Most people have the idea that alcohol is not a drug. Hey, let's face it, it's legal to drink, as long as you're old enough by the local law wherever you are. So that's OK then. It's seen as socially Acceptable.

But of course alcohol is a drug, and alcoholism is just as much a form of drug addiction, as serious as being addicted to marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or any other "Non-legal" drug. The problem is that so many people regard alcohol as just another beverage.

An alcoholic can't live without the "high" that it gives them. Just to re-inforce the point the Food and Drug Administration has in fact classified alcohol as a drug. So by any sensible person's definition an alcoholic is a drug addict.

It's not all doom and gloom, alcoholics can get help for their addiction, just as addicts to other substances can. I'm sure we have all heard of Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.). These are groups of people in pretty much every town, usually run by ex alcoholics, who meets at regular intervals, and work on "The twelve steps to recovery." This is a hard road, and it is accepted that an alcoholic is always an alcoholic and always "recovering."

If you believe that you may be addicted to alcohol and you want to do something about it then get help quickly. The sooner the better. It is everyone's right to have a good long, healthy life. It's not too late. As always, the best time to start your recovery is right now.

I have no problems with saying that I have been a heavy drug and alcohol user and abuser for some many years. Twisted everything inside and out and around the mountain and back again, the after effects and repercussions I'm imagining will be life long but not unbearable in the least.

The pattern must be broken. Start running, get a bike, that's what I did and it is not unheard of as a means to get out and so if anyone out there is directly dealing with an unhealthy addiction at this time my advice is that no matter what path you take to get out, you are not alone, get out.

roadhouse said:
I have no problems with saying that I have been a heavy drug and alcohol user and abuser for some many years. Twisted everything inside and out and around the mountain and back again, the after effects and repercussions I'm imagining will be life long but not unbearable in the least.

The pattern must be broken. Start running, get a bike, that's what I did and it is not unheard of as a means to get out and so if anyone out there is directly dealing with an unhealthy addiction at this time my advice is that no matter what path you take to get out, you are not alone, get out.

While I can't make the same claim you're making, I have no problem letting the cat out of the bag; I probably smoked more weed than weed smoked itself, and to be quite honest, there are still times when I wouldn't mind getting a little bit baked.

Weed is a laughable drug, at most. Quite honestly, I roll my eyes when articles show up in the local paper about the drunk and disorderly idiot who was busted with a dimebag. IMO, weed isn't any worse than having a drink.

Would I smoke bowl with a friend? Sure. Would I start smoking on a regular basis again? No. IMO, once in a very long while ain't gonna kill me. I haven't done it in YEARS.

i have absolutely no problems with the occasional pull of a joint. in fact, after a few weeks of not being around it at all ( i don't consider myself a smoker by far as in once a month is too much) , out of sight and out of mind, i hit a bowl of schwag last night after i got home from a 10 hour work day and went running, 6 soft and sweet miles.

I have another bowl left that i'll attend to here in a bit just to put me out and get rid of it. I'll sleep good after 11 blue collar hours today, that's for certain.