Is Anyone doing the London marathon on a Coker?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by tobylewisis, Apr 14, 2005.

  1. tobylewisis

    tobylewisis Guest

    Tags:

  2. unigamer

    unigamer Guest

  3. mikepenton

    mikepenton Guest

  4. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    I'd be really surprised if it's ever been done? It's just so crowded,
    even riding a small unicycle would be annoying and involve getting
    pushed off all the time. Are you sure you're not thinking of the London
    to Brighton, which people have done on a unicycle (although it doesn't
    sound amazing, again it's pretty crowded and on the interesting hilly
    bits you can't ride because there are too many people walking).

    The only way there'd be any point would be if you could get a start
    about half an hour before the runners, but there's no way they're ever
    going to do that what with all the preparation, police stuff etc.
    involved.

    If you're interested in riding in a marathon for some reason, your best
    bet is to try and get allowed into some other wheeled marathon event,
    like the goodwood roller skate one, <http://tinyurl.com/4lbl6> or the
    http://www.londoninlinemarathon.com/ London inline marathon or
    something.

    If you're interested in something similar in challenge to getting an
    okay time in a running marathon, I'd suggest a similar coker challenge
    is 100 miles in 10 hours. 26 miles on a coker is nowhere near the level
    of challenge involved in running 26 miles.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  5. paul royle

    paul royle Guest

    I'm doing the London to Brighton on the Coker this year.

    I did it last year on a bike, and it is pretty horrendous in places,
    crowds of (bad) cyclists pushing up the smallest of hills, but the
    atmosphere is amazing, and the ride into Brighton at the end with
    hundreds of people lining the streets is like finishing Le Tour. Should
    be even more fun on the Coker.

    I've managed to get the first available start time, 6am, so hopefully it
    won't be too busy, and I can finish in under 8 hours including stops :)

    Paul

    --
    paul royle - gravitationally challenged
    paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572

  6. MattPH

    MattPH Guest

    paul royle wrote:
    > *I've managed to get the first available start time, 6am, so hopefully
    > it won't be too busy, and I can finish in under 8 hours including
    > stops :)
    >
    > *

    What time do you think you might get to Ditchling Beacon? Sometimes I go
    over there to watch, so I'll be able to cheer you on. Are you going to
    take a tick list so you can tally up all the 'you've lost a wheel' and
    associated comments.

    --
    MattPH - Muni Hungry

    You do WHAT on it?
    MattPH's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8467

  7. 8 May in Düsseldorf you can enter the Marathon with a unicycle, but
    rules are strict:

    • maximum wheel size 28"
    • maximum cranks 114 mm
    • gear ratio 1:1
    • no spd (who want to use spd anyway?)

    They also have races for inlines and handbikes (wheelchairs?). All these
    vehicles are starting well before the marathon runners.

    http://www.metrogroup-marathon.de/395.0.html

    --
    goldenchicken - Olaf Johansson
    goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

  8. paul royle

    paul royle Guest

    > What time do you think you might get to Ditchling Beacon? Sometimes I
    > go over there to watch, so I'll be able to cheer you on. Are you going
    > to take a tick list so you can tally up all the 'you've lost a wheel'
    > and associated comments.

    Hopefully around midday, I'm really not sure though. I'm riding up to
    around 40 miles at the moment and averaging around 10 miles an hour (not
    including breaks). So the riding shouldn't take more than 5 hours, but
    then there's the stopping to avoid stupid cyclists, food stops, and so
    on.

    I've been keeping track of comments for the last few weeks, the winners
    are "He's lost half his bike" and "Look! It's got a mudguard!" which is
    true, it does have a mudguard. Nothing like the Great British public for
    pointing out the obvious ;)

    Paul

    --
    paul royle - gravitationally challenged
    paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572

  9. halfbike

    halfbike Guest

  10. newtouni

    newtouni Guest

    joemarshall wrote:
    > *I'd be really surprised if it's ever been done? It's just so crowded,
    > even riding a small unicycle would be annoying and involve getting
    > pushed off all the time *

    I thought the same thing. I have done the London Marathon twice. It is
    *very* crowded; almost like being on the floor at a rock concert. The
    rules and judges are very strict and the course is well controlled.

    I just don't see how it could be pulled off.

    --
    newtouni - Self Proclaimed Unicycling Dufus

    Download UniCalc
    (The Unicycle Calculator) free from
    http://www.ironjungle.com/
    newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465

  11. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    halfbike requested:
    > Dude, show me a pic of that mud guard. I want to mount one.

    I can show you a picture of mine:
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/ridereports/bbbr02.html>

    Bigger picture here:
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-bigbikeride.jpg>

    It's a mountain bike style clip-on-the-seatpost job, bought for a few
    quid from LBS.

  12. paul royle

    paul royle Guest

    > Dude, show me a pic of that mud guard. I want to mount one.

    Here it is,

    [image:
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/paul_royle/coker_mudguard.jpg]

    It's a Crud guard from my LBS. It's made of a really nice flexy plastic
    so it survives UPDs. The angle's a bit weird because it's designed for
    bike seatposts but it works great.