Is anyone using the Fizik Bar:Gel handlebar tape?

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:49:30 +1100, Kocsis
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If so, how does it work? Does it help with hand numbness? Does it
>last?

Hi, not the Fizik, but I am using the specialized Bar Phat which has
gel pads.

I have used the same pads for two years, about 6900 miles, with no
loss of gel.

As far as numbness goes, hard to say. I have had more success by
changing gloves. And I got less numbing with gloves without extra
padding.

I do like the Bar Phat and I have retaped the bars a few times,
reusing the pads.

Jeffrey Starr
All rights to the above text is reserved. No use
outside of rec.bicycle.tech, without express written
permission.

<If so, how does it work? Does it help with hand numbness? Does it
last?>

I had the same problem. Try swaping gloves, that did the trick for me.

Kocsis wrote:

> so, what are the best gloves to use for prevention of numbing?

Proper bike fit, mostly.

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
> Kocsis wrote:
>
> > so, what are the best gloves to use for prevention of numbing?

> Proper bike fit, mostly.

I have not had any problems with numb hands since I started riding in a
reclined position.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:55:14 +1100, Kocsis
<[email protected]> wrote:

>so, what are the best gloves to use for prevention of numbing?

Loose ones that you don't pull on hard and or strangle your wrist with
the closure. Assuming you are using turned down bars, try to ride
with your hands facing each other and not facing the ground.

"Kocsis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> If so, how does it work? Does it help with hand numbness? Does it
> last?

I had severe hand numbness until I switched handlebars and raised them up.
Going gloveless helped too.

gooserider wrote:
> "Kocsis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > If so, how does it work? Does it help with hand numbness? Does it
> > last?

> I had severe hand numbness until I switched handlebars and raised them up.

> Going gloveless helped too.

Would you care to offer an explanation on why not wearing gloves helps
with your hand numbness?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> gooserider wrote:
>> "Kocsis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > If so, how does it work? Does it help with hand numbness? Does it
>> > last?

>> I had severe hand numbness until I switched handlebars and raised them
>> up.

>> Going gloveless helped too.

> Would you care to offer an explanation on why not wearing gloves helps
> with your hand numbness?

Padded palms on cycling gloves evidently press on a nerve or cut off blood
supply. I tried buying gloves larger than I would normally wear. I tried the
hyped Spenco "no numbness" gloves, no luck. Took the gloves off and bingo,
no numbness. I may try to find a glove with no padding, like a golf or
batting glove.