Is anyone watching the Virginia race?

Bill C

Guest
Cool to see a race on network TV. OK coverage. Nasty weather. Not a
hugely active race though.
I keep wondering where these huge crowds they keep talking about are
though. The handfull of people you do see are dressed for the Yukon.
Bill C

On Apr 7, 4:17 pm, "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Cool to see a race on network TV. OK coverage. Nasty weather. Not a
> hugely active race though.
> I keep wondering where these huge crowds they keep talking about are
> though. The handfull of people you do see are dressed for the Yukon.
> Bill C

I now it's selfish but it was great to have my choice of spots along
the course. There were lots of folks bunched up at 12th St. on the
first few laps of the circuit. But the crowds thinned, possibly
heading towards a warm place or the start/finish or Libby Hill. I
think the cold weather took its toll on the crowd. After the race, I
went to grab a bite to eat at a local bar and found where all of the
fans were hiding. Apparently, I was the dumbass watching it on the
outside.

On 7 Apr 2007 13:17:31 -0700, "Bill C" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Cool to see a race on network TV. OK coverage. Nasty weather. Not a
>hugely active race though.
> I keep wondering where these huge crowds they keep talking about are
>though. The handfull of people you do see are dressed for the Yukon.
>Bill C

Arggh, I forgot and only caught the last half hour. It looked like
good racing. Cool course and finish.

Nice to see that on a major network. Hope it continues.
--
JT
****************************

On 7 Apr 2007 14:12:50 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> After the race, I
>went to grab a bite to eat at a local bar and found where all of the
>fans were hiding. Apparently, I was the dumbass watching it on the
>outside.

Cool -- at least local people were there.
--
JT
****************************

"Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cool to see a race on network TV. OK coverage. Nasty weather. Not a
> hugely active race though.
> I keep wondering where these huge crowds they keep talking about are
> though. The handfull of people you do see are dressed for the Yukon.
> Bill C

But... Once again not the greatest-ever race commentary. Long periods
where they didn't identify race leaders, and in all their rain gear it
wasn't easty to figure out what team was which. My personal opinion is that
the interview with Floyd Landis was totally unneccesary. American
audiences, as a whole, aren't very knowledgeable about cycling, and for the
innaugural of a premier race, why cloud the waters?

Quick! Somebody clone Phil Ligget before it's too late...!

Caroline

On Apr 7, 5:55 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2007 13:17:31 -0700, "Bill C" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Cool to see a race on network TV. OK coverage. Nasty weather. Not a
> >hugely active race though.
> > I keep wondering where these huge crowds they keep talking about are
> >though. The handfull of people you do see are dressed for the Yukon.
> >Bill C

> Arggh, I forgot and only caught the last half hour. It looked like
> good racing. Cool course and finish.
>
> Nice to see that on a major network. Hope it continues.
> --
> JT
> ****************************
> Remove "remove" to reply
> Visithttp://www.jt10000.com
> ****************************

The end was easily the best part once the chase group gave up and the
pack finally decided to chase. It was a parade for a long time with
the two riders just walking away and noone seeming to care. Nice to
see one of those actually stick for once, no matter the reason. I
always root for the guys who take a shot and who really go for it.
Being a homer I was cheering on Tim Johnson too. Didn't see any of
the Nerac guys. Wonder where they finished?
Bill C

On Apr 7, 6:53 pm, "Caroline" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Cool to see a race on network TV. OK coverage. Nasty weather. Not a
> > hugely active race though.
> > I keep wondering where these huge crowds they keep talking about are
> > though. The handfull of people you do see are dressed for the Yukon.
> > Bill C

> But... Once again not the greatest-ever race commentary. Long periods
> where they didn't identify race leaders, and in all their rain gear it
> wasn't easty to figure out what team was which. My personal opinion is that
> the interview with Floyd Landis was totally unneccesary. American
> audiences, as a whole, aren't very knowledgeable about cycling, and for the
> innaugural of a premier race, why cloud the waters?
>
> Quick! Somebody clone Phil Ligget before it's too late...!
>
> Caroline

Geez, I'm not sure anyone should be complaining about 2.5 hours of
network coverage for a first time event. They even covered it like it
was a sporting event, without the Ironman-like "human interest"
stories. The crowds would have been better but for the cold. There
were about two or three times as many people on Libby Hill for the
first lap than for the last. Most left for warmer surroundings. The
race was also the first day of spring break for local schools and many
are out of town for the week.