Is Brian O'Driscoll a Tool?

Fixey

Mar 9, 2004
The prince of Centres has lost alot of respect down this end of the world, although he is seen as a great player he is regarded as a bit of a tool. How is he regarded as a person in the home nations?

Fixey said:
The prince of Centres has lost alot of respect down this end of the world, although he is seen as a great player he is regarded as a bit of a tool. How is he regarded as a person in the home nations?

Naturally I am biased because I'm English, but over recent years he has become more and more of a ******** on the pitch. I can't speak for his behaviour off the pitch. What disturbs me most is his habit of putting in a bit of befores and afters and whining to the Ref when he so much as trips over his shoelaces.

I've noticed that Ronan O'Gara isn't averse to putting in the odd boot or punch off the ball too.

Fixey said:

Tana Umanga and the NZ targetted the man on the Lions Tour.

That said, Brian is a superb rugby player.

Why have the NZ'ers lost respect for him?
Was it the fact that he was photographed in a bar, ****** ?

I have to say his reputation is under attack here in the press - he seems to have lost the run of himself. He was supposed to be going out with a famour Irish model but that turned out to be a career stunt for the model.

But I'd be interested to hear the NZ view as to why he's regarded as a tool.

limerickman said:
I realize a hammer is a tool, there is an alternative rock band named Tool and every man has a tool but how is it being used in your (and Fixey's) statement?

lw

lwedge said:
I realize a hammer is a tool, there is an alternative rock band named Tool and every man has a tool but how is it being used in your (and Fixey's) statement?

lw

Tool used as slang can mean : *****, idiot, clown.

It's a derogatory term.

limerickman said:
Tool used as slang can mean : *****, idiot, clown.

It's a derogatory term.
Okay, good, I can use the term here in California and no one will know.

I had a girlfriend some time ago who's mother used the term. Now and again her mother would get mad and her Irish would come out. She would yell at her husband " Robert, don't be such a TOOL!"

lw

lwedge said:
Okay, good, I can use the term here in California and no one will know.
Actually the band is named after the slang term... most people I know seem to use it in their vernacular so I imagine most will know.

wilmar13 said:
Actually the band is named after the slang term... most people I know seem to use it in their vernacular so I imagine most will know.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Fixey. I will take your word on whether or not O'Driscoll's a tool .:D
Lw

limerickman said:
Tana Umanga and the NZ targetted the man on the Lions Tour.

That said, Brian is a superb rugby player.

Why have the NZ'ers lost respect for him?
Was it the fact that he was photographed in a bar, ****** ?

I have to say his reputation is under attack here in the press - he seems to have lost the run of himself. He was supposed to be going out with a famour Irish model but that turned out to be a career stunt for the model.

I don't think he was targeted by the AB's when the Lions toured, it was just one of those things that happened on the field. I think he lost a lot of respect for continuing to bleet on about it, let it go, rugby is a contact sport.

From my point of view it appears that Brian now does more talking off the field than on.
He was a player that let his game do the talking and most in the rugby world would have agreed that he was one of the best centres. Now he seems to do too much talking off the pitch.
Also he took a dive in the 2nd test against the All Blacks, that was only bettered by that Italian fella in the World Cup against the Socceroos. (Now that will open a can of worms)

chch_legend said:
I don't think he was targeted by the AB's when the Lions toured, it was just one of those things that happened on the field. I think he lost a lot of respect for continuing to bleet on about it, let it go, rugby is a contact sport.

QUOTE]

Well that's just your thinking. Most people Ive heard comment on it say it looked like a targetting.

Fits in with the way modern sports are going these days. Take soccer - the elbow in the face when going for a header or the simulated foul are happening all the time in order to get an advantage. The All blacks knew that O Driscoll was the danger man and if he could be taken out, well.... But what's worse with Umaga is that spearing if it went wrong could have broken O Driscoll's neck.

It seems that since then O Driscoll has said a little too much for some people - but I don't agree with that. He discussed in a calm way, the premediated act of violence the All balcks committed against him. He seems to have been genuinely surprised at how Umaga behaved in the aftermath of the tackle.

As regards his off field behaviour, I think he is seen as a decent fella, but at the same time has all the trappings of a superstar. Of course he will annoy people because he is seems to be always in the public eye of late.

But the worst thing about all this is that he has come back as an inferior rugby player. Its my opinion that the injury trigerred the start of the decline every sportsman eventually experiences. He seems to have lost some of his speed and trickery.