Is Campy chain tool necessary?

melvyng

Nov 5, 2003
I'm just wondering if the Campy CN200 chain tool is really necessary for using with their new 2004 10sp chain? Will another, less expensive tool do the job? Anybody know

Mel

Originally posted by melvyng
I'm just wondering if the Campy CN200 chain tool is really necessary for using with their new 2004 10sp chain? Will another, less expensive tool do the job? Anybody know

Mel

You sure it's a different chain? As for my 2003 Record chain, NO. It's easy to simply use a $5 Park or any other tool. Just be careful when you do it. Some people use a c-clamp to hold the link in the tool nice and squarely. I didn't bother, and it worked fine.

I tried a $30 Park chain tool on my 03 10 spd chain. Seemed to work, until I hit the first hill and the chain popped apart.

Called Branford Bike and got a removeable link. That works great.

Originally posted by JohnO
I tried a $30 Park chain tool on my 03 10 spd chain. Seemed to work, until I hit the first hill and the chain popped apart.

Called Branford Bike and got a removeable link. That works great.

Like he said, get the Wippermann and don't look back. ;)

Originally posted by JohnO

That is usualy opreator error.

You need the special tool. All 10 speed chains are very thin, and the pin needs to be inserted 100% correct - almost impossible to get with a standard tool. (I broke a Shimano 9 chain....)

Buy a Wipperman chain, works perfect for Campy 10 - better chain, no rust, no tool needed (and no risk for operator error when mounting)

Originally posted by ajo
You need the special tool. All 10 speed chains are very thin, and the pin needs to be inserted 100% correct - almost impossible to get with a standard tool. (I broke a Shimano 9 chain....)

Buy a Wipperman chain, works perfect for Campy 10 - better chain, no rust, no tool needed (and no risk for operator error when mounting)
A connex link works with a campy chain and a sram with a shimano chain.

If I remember rightly ( unlikely I know, boudreaux ) when Campy launched the 10 speed you did need a special tool but after people had bought it they changed the design of the chain and now it´s not needed ( or another special tool is )
From what I read the connex chain ( 10 speed ) got a mixed review from letter writers to www.cyclingnews.com , check it out .

Originally posted by el Inglés
If I remember rightly ( unlikely I know, boudreaux ) when Campy launched the 10 speed you did need a special tool but after people had bought it they changed the design of the chain and now it´s not needed ( or another special tool is )
From what I read the connex chain ( 10 speed ) got a mixed review from letter writers to www.cyclingnews.com , check it out .
Correcto, the original permalink supposedly required a special $60 campy tool that was nothing nore than vice grips, which could also be used.. There were alot of permalink failures mostly due to improper installation,so Campy came up with the new connector,that also suposedly requires another special tool. The new link CAN be CAREFULLY assembled with an ordinaary tool, but a connex 10 speed Link really is a better answer and alows easy chain removable. I'm no fan of Whipperman stainless chains.They are IMO more hype than any kind of good value. Both Campy and shimano make excellent chains.