is centaur the same level as ultegra

Veloce vs 105 isn't exactly apples to apples. One is 10s and the other is 9s.

chch_legend said:
Now for my 2cents worth.
I think it comes down to personal preference, I bought my first road bike and it had Campag on in, I got used to it and have never used Shimano and have no intention to change. I'm now on my 3rd bike with campag.
If you like something then go with it. Also think campag looks neater, no wires out of the brakehoods.
When I first built my bike, only Dura-Ace had STI levers, so the cables coming out the sides of the brake hoods were sort of a status symbol. Now the cheesiest group sets have STI, so the cables don't really mean much anymore.

My last rebuild did include this cool little inline shift indicator that fits on the rear shift cable (that I never, ever, remember to look at), but I have to agree, the Campy stuff (especially the carbon ergo levers) do look really, really nice. If I hadn't just rebuilt my bike with DA, I'd even consider giving it a try.

Similar weights, similar price and the same functionallity. For all intents and purposes the are equivalent. But Campy is better.

So there are some key difference highlighted in various places in this thread that are obvious differences and lend themselves towards a campy -vs- shimano decision, but don't in anyway lend themselves towards a "is Centaur equivalent to ultegra?" answer -- the latter we'll never agree on.

W/r/t campy vs Shimano (assuming 10 vs. 10), I haven't seen this before in 1 place, but here are the key differences that lend them selves towards prefering one or the other that we've all alluded to...
- How does each shifter feel and fit your hands ergonomically? (pretty important after 100's of hours of holding onto the things, braking, and shifting).
- Does the campy cable routing look sleeker or is that unimportant to you?
- Does the italian/heritage behind campy mean anything to you?
- Looks: Campy arguably more classic/artistic, Shimano arguably higher-tech looking.
- Shimano shifters are disposable (albeit pretty dang reliable), Campy can be repaired.
- Other situation-specific differences may apply to some folks (Campy's compact-specific FD is pretty cool for compact double users).
- Price vs. weight (not gonna step into the bling-vs-value ratt hole).
- Also: when buying a specific full bike, there typically isn't a choice.

lokstah said:
I think the answer is more or less. End of story, no?

Lokstah, serious buddy, where's the two page dissertation? I guess if you can sum it up that quickly, then that's the bottom line. ;)

RC2 said:
Lokstah, serious buddy, where's the two page dissertation? I guess if you can sum it up that quickly, then that's the bottom line. ;)
I have a headache.

lokstah said:
I think the answer is more or less. End of story, no?

The official definitive pecking order is:
DuraAce --- Record
---
--- Chorus
Ultegra ---
---
--- Centaur
105 ---​

It is so decreed by Pope Benedict XVI, and 4 out of 5 of the ayotollahs surveyed and the Dalai Lama concur. So there you have it.

C'mooonnnnn.... the ayotollahs can't even agree on anything amongst themselves, much less than with the pope (who being a resident of the vatican surely has Record over DA). Are you sure it's this simple?!?!? :p

RC2 said:
C'mooonnnnn.... the ayotollahs can't even agree on anything amongst themselves, much less than with the pope (who being a resident of the vatican surely has Record over DA). Are you sure it's this simple?!?!? :p
There's a picture of Benedict in '98 climbing Ventoux on what is clearly an Ultegra-spec'd Willier. Go figure.

I'll try and locate that image.

Ah yes, few will likely remember that Benedict was actually quite a formidable climber prior to the doping allegations that undermined his cycling career.

Here's the photo: www.velonews/ratzingeronventoux.com Pls don't complain if it doesn't work as it's a few years old.

RC2 said:
Ah yes, few will likely remember that Benedict was actually quite a formidable climber prior to the doping allegations that undermined his cycling career.

Here's the photo: www.velonews/ratzingeronventoux.com Pls don't complain if it doesn't work as it's a few years old.
There it is; thanks for beating me to it. Look at the size of that headtube; he must be on a 60 or 61cm. I wouldn't have expected the "DOG IS MY CO-PILOT" sticker on the chainstay.

lokstah said:
There it is; thanks for beating me to it. Look at the size of that headtube; he must be on a 60 or 61cm. I wouldn't have expected the "DOG IS MY CO-PILOT" sticker on the chainstay.
I found another pic, though you can't see the bike very well.

cydewaze said:
Is there an award we can give for best image post? If so, RC2 and I deserve assists or partial credit. Magnificent... :)

cydewaze said:
Thanks! Although I could have done a bit better on the helmet I suppose.
Well, you churned it out quickly. This thread had become a who-gets-to-a-photo-editing-application-first race; you won in good form. Mad props, as they say!

The guy sure is pale and grim looking, isn't he?

cydewaze said:

Brilliant!!! It's a bit blury, but I think that is one of the allotolahs getting dropped. And, wait, isn't that.... YES! the pope on Record.

wilmar13 said:
105 blows... Ultegra is the lowest component group that isn't heavy as hell and designed for fat guys on touring bikes... campy is only for racers :D

................ bollocks .....