Is Chapel/Church st where all the usless drivers go?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Torgo, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. Torgo

    Torgo New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2004
    Out on a nice long ride yesterday out to se the folks, had to go through chapel st to run an errond or two when the first moron opened his door into me with his watch where your going type look. He copped a mouthfull of abbuse and a jolly bush oyster on his windscreen. Then not 2 minuites later moron 2 opens the door of his nice shiny old merc coupe adn was nicely questioned by me about this , he mumbled some response so i decided to tell him that masterbations is not exercse enough for his fat arse and ran a cleat down the side of his door.
    I know its over the top but having many a motorcycle accident this way it pisses me of to no extent that the majority of drivers dont see or dont care about anything on 2 wheels, hell even if i was wearing a chrismas tree all flashisng and shit they would still say "oh sorry mate didnt even see you"

    on that topic in the city the other night on the motorcycle some stupid cow in a red holden panel van (new one) decided to turn in to me then started to abuse me for being there i now have her mirror in my collection of road kill.

    Tags:

  2. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Torgo wrote:
    > hell even if i was wearing a
    > chrismas tree all flashisng and shit they would still say "oh sorry
    > mate didnt even see you"

    For me, unless there are freak weather conditions or you're ridign at
    night without lights, "sorry I didn't see you" generally means:
    a) I have defective eye sight and shouldn't be driving
    b) I didn't see you because my ability to move my head and look is impaired
    or c) I just don't care but need an excuse so you won't kick in my doors

    DaveB

  3. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003

    not ALL the bad drivers are in Chapel Street, just some of them. Unfortunately they are also in many other streets. Running your cleat down his door is hardly going to make him more bicycle friendly though.
    My standard response to "sorry I didn't see you" is along the lines of "that's right, you didn't see me, think about why not or next time you'll be explaining it to the Coroner".

  4. >>>>> "Torgo" == Torgo <[email protected]> writes:

    Torgo> ...[h]e copped a mouthfull of abbuse and a jolly bush oyster
    Torgo> on his windscreen.

    Oh wonderful. And what exactly did that achieve? Think he's going to
    be any more vigilant for cyclists in the future? After what you did
    he'll probably /aim/ for them.

    Torgo> ...so i decided to tell him that masterbations is not exercse
    Torgo> enough for his fat arse and ran a cleat down the side of his
    Torgo> door.

    A master stroke. So now this motorist reckons that cyclists are
    vandals. Well done indeed.

    Torgo> I know its over the top but having many a motorcycle accident
    Torgo> this way it pisses me of to no extent that the majority of
    Torgo> drivers dont see or dont care about anything on 2 wheels,
    Torgo> hell even if i was wearing a chrismas tree all flashisng and
    Torgo> shit they would still say "oh sorry mate didnt even see you"

    Damned right it's over the top. Your actions are also criminal. Look
    to your own actions before you dare to criticize others.

    Behave irresponsibly and you generally get irresponsible treatment meted
    out to you. Grow a little bit of tolerance, road awareness and get thee
    down to an anger management course for good measure.

    Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe I cycle 250 odd km a week with nary a
    problem because I'm blessed. Or maybe because I look out for myself and
    co-operate with motorists instead of treating them like the enemy.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  5. @(none)

    @(none) Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Torgo> ...[h]e copped a mouthfull of abbuse and a jolly bush oyster
    > Torgo> on his windscreen.
    >
    > Oh wonderful. And what exactly did that achieve? Think he's going to
    > be any more vigilant for cyclists in the future? After what you did
    > he'll probably /aim/ for them.
    >
    > Torgo> ...so i decided to tell him that masterbations is not exercse
    > Torgo> enough for his fat arse and ran a cleat down the side of his
    > Torgo> door.
    >
    > A master stroke. So now this motorist reckons that cyclists are
    > vandals. Well done indeed.
    >
    > Torgo> I know its over the top but having many a motorcycle accident
    > Torgo> this way it pisses me of to no extent that the majority of
    > Torgo> drivers dont see or dont care about anything on 2 wheels,
    > Torgo> hell even if i was wearing a chrismas tree all flashisng and
    > Torgo> shit they would still say "oh sorry mate didnt even see you"
    >
    > Damned right it's over the top. Your actions are also criminal. Look
    > to your own actions before you dare to criticize others.
    >
    > Behave irresponsibly and you generally get irresponsible treatment meted
    > out to you. Grow a little bit of tolerance, road awareness and get thee
    > down to an anger management course for good measure.
    >
    > Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe I cycle 250 odd km a week with nary a
    > problem because I'm blessed. Or maybe because I look out for myself and
    > co-operate with motorists instead of treating them like the enemy.

    don't ride in chapel st do you? Try it.. its an eye opener.

  6. Torgo

    Torgo New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2004
    I know that i wasnt doing any one justice with my actions, but hell there are a few motorists out there that are not rider frienly as we all know.
    My actions were for my own pleasure only becayse i'm tired of injuries that i did not cause to my self, damage to my bike(s) ect.
    And anyone who frequently uses chaple st either on bike or motorcycle would testify that drivers their dont know how to drive.
    My anger is for preservation of my self and other riders. Yes and vandalising their car is childish and yes maybe talking to the drivers would help the cause but their is years of motorcycling under the belt to be nice to drivers all the time.... but i'm trying.
    I'm not anti driver, just anti moron.

  7. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "Torgo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I know that i wasnt doing any one justice with my actions, but hell
    > there are a few motorists out there that are not rider frienly as we
    > all know.
    > My actions were for my own pleasure only becayse i'm tired of injuries
    > that i did not cause to my self, damage to my bike(s) ect.
    > And anyone who frequently uses chaple st either on bike or motorcycle
    > would testify that drivers their dont know how to drive.
    > My anger is for preservation of my self and other riders. Yes and
    > vandalising their car is childish and yes maybe talking to the drivers
    > would help the cause but their is years of motorcycling under the belt
    > to be nice to drivers all the time.... but i'm trying.
    > I'm not anti driver, just anti moron.
    >

    > --
    > Torgo

    Yes, I'm definately with Euan on this one Torgo

    You have probably made these drivers more cyclist unfriendly than ever
    before due to your actions.

    I know it's ever so easy to fly off the handle instantly, and it's kind of
    human nature in a way, but what these people need more than abuse, is
    education and making them aware that we may be there and we can't stop if
    someone suddenly opens the door.

    People are too involved with their own problems these days to even think for
    a second that their next action could affect another person till it happens
    and what i find is that when it happens, most people feel like shit for
    doing what they did.More so, many think ( this has come up in many
    conversations)" I paid 40+ grand for my car plus rego and you're gunna tell
    me to be aware of cyclists"!! This is the attitude we're up against and
    untill it is policed (fat Chance!!) it'll just get worse.

    I drive a city bus in Sydney and if you seen some of the things they do in
    front of a bus, it'd make you skake your head in misbelief. Some of these
    drivers we call suicide jockeys but they are out there and we have to take
    this in consideration and be ready to act and read the traffic.This is
    fairdinkum, I can drive up and down George street Sydney all day in the Bus
    and not see one cop, how can we get motorists policed?

    When i'm on my bike, I'm aware that i'm very much in the hands of Murphy's
    Law hahaha!!

    I know you're not going to educate everyone, there are many smartarses out
    there , we all know that, but what i tend to do, if possible in that very
    situation, and I guess it depends whether i'm still standing, is stop and
    just casually without being a smart arse, just let them know that what they
    did is illegal and if you were injured that they could be very liable for
    injuries etc etc and to please be more careful.I find more often than not,
    I get a "Oh jeez, sorry mate!!" Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't, but It
    was done without anyone getting steamed up.

    If we could get just one in every 20 extra drivers to be more vigilant and
    aware that we are road users too, don't you think that will be good for all
    of us ?

    There is no trick in using the road really only to realise that you are
    vulnarable to larger and faster vehicles and door openers, but if you know
    about this in a certain area, i thought perhaps you'd be more vigilant
    yourself.

    Awareness......on a bicycle,that's what everything is all about!!

    Regards

    DJ

  8. >>>>> "dave" == dave <@> writes:

    dave> don't ride in chapel st do you? Try it.. its an eye opener.

    Guess again.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  9. "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Yes, I'm definately with Euan on this one Torgo
    >
    > You have probably made these drivers more cyclist unfriendly than ever
    > before due to your actions.
    >
    > I know it's ever so easy to fly off the handle instantly, and it's kind of
    > human nature in a way, but what these people need more than abuse, is
    > education and making them aware.....

    <snip lots of good advice>

    > you are vulnarable to larger and faster vehicles and door openers, but if

    you know
    > about this in a certain area, i thought perhaps you'd be more vigilant
    > yourself.
    >
    > Awareness......on a bicycle,that's what everything is all about!!

    Great post DJ

    Cheers
    Peter

  10. DJ

    DJ Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]

    > dave> don't ride in chapel st do you? Try it.. its an eye opener.
    >
    > Guess again.
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Euan

    Euan,

    I'm not sure which area or city he was actually referring to whether it was
    Sydney < Melbourne or wherever but if the place is as bad as Torgo says it
    is, surely there could either be an alternative route or he just has to be a
    little more aware of his surroundings......it's well within his best
    interests really!!
    There are sooo many Chapel Streets in Sydney.

    Regards
    DJ

  11. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]

    >> dave> don't ride in chapel st do you? Try it.. its an eye opener.
    >>
    >> Guess again.

    > I'm not sure which area or city he was actually referring to whether
    > it was Sydney < Melbourne or wherever but if the place is as bad as
    > Torgo says it is, surely there could either be an alternative route
    > or he just has to be a little more aware of his
    > surroundings......it's well within his best interests really!!
    > There are sooo many Chapel Streets in Sydney.

    The Chapel St in question is one of the busiest shopping strips in
    Melbourne, especially the section between Windsor and Sth Yarra. I live in
    the general area and ride down Chapel St a lot. The sheer volume of traffic
    means there's bound to be some morons. Every so often I notice one on two
    wheels.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  12. >>>>> "DJ" == DJ <[email protected]> writes:

    DJ> I'm not sure which area or city he was actually referring to
    DJ> whether it was Sydney < Melbourne

    Melbourne.

    DJ> ...is as bad as Torgo says it is, surely there could either be
    DJ> an alternative route or he just has to be a little more aware of
    DJ> his surroundings......it's well within his best interests
    DJ> really!!

    Precisely. I generally only cycle down Chapel Street when I'm going to
    the market or some such. Between Highett and the City there are far
    more pleasant and safer routes.

    When I do cycle down Chapel Street though, I cycle at a reduced speed
    and watch out for everything. Sure the law may say that I can barrel
    along at up to 50 km/h but the road conditions don't allow for it so I
    don't.

    Just as there are motorists who think it's their god given right to
    travel at the speed limit regardless of the conditions of the road,
    there are cyclists who think the same. If these motorists and cyclists
    slowed down and paid more attention, they'd not only live longer, they'd
    be under a lot less stress to boot.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  13. DRS

    DRS Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    [...]

    > Just as there are motorists who think it's their god given right to
    > travel at the speed limit regardless of the conditions of the road,
    > there are cyclists who think the same. If these motorists and
    > cyclists slowed down and paid more attention, they'd not only live
    > longer, they'd be under a lot less stress to boot.

    Speed is rarely an issue on Chapel St.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  14. Torgo

    Torgo New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2004
    As to say I only take Chapel st when need be, because of its un friendly trafic conditions. I feel safer taking St. Kilda road if i need to travel in to the city at any time.
    And as for riding for the traffic conditions, I value my safty to well ho hoon around and having lost some close friends to their wreckless behaviour (these guys would race on chaple st or beach road at over 150k) has made me ever vigilant and aware to my suroundings.
    Though this thread has made me reconsider some of my views, and well just going to try putting my anger and annoyance to the unaware drivers to a good use, i'll try educate (with out damaging).
    I'v been discussing this over the past 2 days with some friends and came to the agreement that there are shocking drivers as well as riders and that all need to cooperate with each other and that i should heep my arm and legs away from theit car and keep my mouth shut unless they do hit me first....

  15. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003

    I'm pleased to see you reconsider. Incidentally it isn't the drivers in my experience that make Chapel St a hazard, it's the pedestrians who stride out and stop in the middle of the 'bike lane' (the bit between the [arked cars and the tram line) and then look around for traffic. Hopefully the formal bike lane next year should help with that.
    StKilda Road is just as bad in this respect - the suits seem to be so focused on making $$$$ that they don't care who they walk ot in front of.

  16. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "Torgo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> DJ> I'm not sure which area or city he was actually referring to
    >> DJ> whether it was Sydney < Melbourne
    >>
    >> Melbourne.
    >>
    >> DJ> ...is as bad as Torgo says it is, surely there could either be
    >> DJ> an alternative route or he just has to be a little more aware of
    >> DJ> his surroundings......it's well within his best interests
    >> DJ> really!!
    >>
    >> Precisely. I generally only cycle down Chapel Street when I'm going
    >> the market or some such. Between Highett and the City there are far
    >> more pleasant and safer routes.
    >>
    >> When I do cycle down Chapel Street though, I cycle at a reduced speed
    >> and watch out for everything. Sure the law may say that I can barrel
    >> along at up to 50 km/h but the road conditions don't allow for it so I
    >> don't.
    >>
    >> Just as there are motorists who think it's their god given right to
    >> travel at the speed limit regardless of the conditions of the road,
    >> there are cyclists who think the same. If these motorists and
    >> cyclists
    >> slowed down and paid more attention, they'd not only live longer,
    >> they'd
    >> be under a lot less stress to boot.
    >> --
    >> Cheers
    >> Euan

    > As to say I only take Chapel st when need be, because of its un
    > friendly trafic conditions. I feel safer taking St. Kilda road if i
    > need to travel in to the city at any time.
    > And as for riding for the traffic conditions, I value my safty to well
    > ho hoon around and having lost some close friends to their wreckless
    > behaviour (these guys would race on chaple st or beach road at over
    > 150k) has made me ever vigilant and aware to my suroundings.
    > Though this thread has made me reconsider some of my views, and well
    > just going to try putting my anger and annoyance to the unaware drivers
    > to a good use, i'll try educate (with out damaging).
    > I'v been discussing this over the past 2 days with some friends and
    > came to the agreement that there are shocking drivers as well as riders
    > and that all need to cooperate with each other and that i should heep my
    > arm and legs away from theit car and keep my mouth shut unless they do
    > hit me first....
    >

    > --
    > Torgo

    There is also something else to consider, and this may or may not ever
    happen but i've seen it happen in George Street Sydney once.

    A cyclist , possibly a courier, was giving verbal abuse to a chinese guy
    trying to turn into hay street, well there was these other asian guys came
    to the rescue of the chinese motorist and belted the shit out of the cyclist
    making him a fare for the ambos.....don't put yourself in this situation,
    it's not worth it and there are always some bastard out there who wants to
    prove him/themselves.

    Friendly advice

    DJ

  17. Roadie_scum

    Roadie_scum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Messages:
    1,288
    That happened to a courier once in Melbourne. He didn't end up in an ambulance, but later that same day the dumb bastard that tried to beat him up had to stump up for a new windscreen, rearview mirror and drivers side door. They had bike lock shaped holes in them. I'm not condoning it, but hey, I wasn't complaining either.

  18. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Hopefully that new bike lane/s along Chapel will make awareness greater.
    It aint speed. It aint giving way. Its being aware ,actually thinking that someone on a bike might concieveably be there when you walk, pull out, open that car door.
    Chapel St spooks me still. i lost my best mate to a car door there in '89.
    It was busy back then. Its a zoo now mainly full of self-obsessed twats busy looking at their own reflections or what colour the 'new black' is...

  19. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]

    [...]

    > Hopefully that new bike lane/s along Chapel will make awareness
    > greater.

    Since they're currently on trial and consequently don't have any bike
    symbols to let people know that there actually is a bike path most people
    don't know they're there. The only markings are the yellow dashes which
    look simply like ordinary lane markings.

    > It aint speed. It aint giving way. Its being aware ,actually thinking
    > that someone on a bike might concieveably be there when you walk, pull
    > out, open that car door.
    > Chapel St spooks me still. i lost my best mate to a car door there in
    > '89.

    I don't know how anyone could be going fast enough on Chapel St for that
    sort of thing to happen.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  20. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    Are they the 'new' ones which were announced in the last month or so, or the existing ones you refer to? Personally i think the coloured (whole lane) like they have in some locations elsewhere (and OS) would be the only best way to do em

    We were riding, as estimated by the attending Police and subsequent coroner's inquest, at between 15/20kph.
    The car door was opened. Andy had nowhere to go as a car was straddling both lanes to his right. The top corner of the door went straight thru his helmet and skull. According to the coroner if the timing were right this could be achieved at just above typical walking pace (ave 3-8kph).
    Like i said, it aint speed, its awareness (or lack of it) that can kill...

    PS the entire incident reached an inquest and subsequent criminal charges of the driver due to his lack of remorse, and abusing my (lieing on the ground already dead!) mate that he had damaged his car. He later hinted that he 'may have seen the cyclist' but opened the car door anyway to 'show him',
    Hence his subsequent 5 year jail term for vehicular assault.
    I dont want to get wound up on this subject, but i live with that memory.
    I also ride with his...