Is Chapel/Church st where all the usless drivers go?

Torgo

New Member
Aug 26, 2004
Out on a nice long ride yesterday out to se the folks, had to go through chapel st to run an errond or two when the first moron opened his door into me with his watch where your going type look. He copped a mouthfull of abbuse and a jolly bush oyster on his windscreen. Then not 2 minuites later moron 2 opens the door of his nice shiny old merc coupe adn was nicely questioned by me about this , he mumbled some response so i decided to tell him that masterbations is not exercse enough for his fat **** and ran a cleat down the side of his door.
I know its over the top but having many a motorcycle accident this way it pisses me of to no extent that the majority of drivers dont see or dont care about anything on 2 wheels, hell even if i was wearing a chrismas tree all flashisng and **** they would still say "oh sorry mate didnt even see you"

on that topic in the city the other night on the motorcycle some stupid cow in a red holden panel van (new one) decided to turn in to me then started to abuse me for being there i now have her mirror in my collection of road kill.

Torgo wrote:
> hell even if i was wearing a
> chrismas tree all flashisng and **** they would still say "oh sorry
> mate didnt even see you"

For me, unless there are freak weather conditions or you're ridign at
night without lights, "sorry I didn't see you" generally means:
a) I have defective eye sight and shouldn't be driving
b) I didn't see you because my ability to move my head and look is impaired
or c) I just don't care but need an excuse so you won't kick in my doors

DaveB

Torgo said:
[...]

not ALL the bad drivers are in Chapel Street, just some of them. Unfortunately they are also in many other streets. Running your cleat down his door is hardly going to make him more bicycle friendly though.
My standard response to "sorry I didn't see you" is along the lines of "that's right, you didn't see me, think about why not or next time you'll be explaining it to the Coroner".

Torgo> ...[h]e copped a mouthfull of abbuse and a jolly bush oyster
Torgo> on his windscreen.

Oh wonderful. And what exactly did that achieve? Think he's going to
be any more vigilant for cyclists in the future? After what you did
he'll probably /aim/ for them.

Torgo> ...so i decided to tell him that masterbations is not exercse
Torgo> enough for his fat **** and ran a cleat down the side of his
Torgo> door.

A master stroke. So now this motorist reckons that cyclists are
vandals. Well done indeed.

Torgo> I know its over the top but having many a motorcycle accident
Torgo> this way it pisses me of to no extent that the majority of
Torgo> drivers dont see or dont care about anything on 2 wheels,
Torgo> hell even if i was wearing a chrismas tree all flashisng and
Torgo> **** they would still say "oh sorry mate didnt even see you"

Damned right it's over the top. Your actions are also criminal. Look
to your own actions before you dare to criticize others.

Behave irresponsibly and you generally get irresponsible treatment meted
out to you. Grow a little bit of tolerance, road awareness and get thee
down to an anger management course for good measure.

Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe I cycle 250 odd km a week with nary a
problem because I'm blessed. Or maybe because I look out for myself and
co-operate with motorists instead of treating them like the enemy.
--
Cheers
Euan

[email protected] wrote:

> Torgo> ...[h]e copped a mouthfull of abbuse and a jolly bush oyster
> Torgo> on his windscreen.
>
> Oh wonderful. And what exactly did that achieve? Think he's going to
> be any more vigilant for cyclists in the future? After what you did
> he'll probably /aim/ for them.
>
> Torgo> ...so i decided to tell him that masterbations is not exercse
> Torgo> enough for his fat **** and ran a cleat down the side of his
> Torgo> door.
>
> A master stroke. So now this motorist reckons that cyclists are
> vandals. Well done indeed.
>
> Torgo> I know its over the top but having many a motorcycle accident
> Torgo> this way it pisses me of to no extent that the majority of
> Torgo> drivers dont see or dont care about anything on 2 wheels,
> Torgo> hell even if i was wearing a chrismas tree all flashisng and
> Torgo> **** they would still say "oh sorry mate didnt even see you"
>
> Damned right it's over the top. Your actions are also criminal. Look
> to your own actions before you dare to criticize others.
>
> Behave irresponsibly and you generally get irresponsible treatment meted
> out to you. Grow a little bit of tolerance, road awareness and get thee
> down to an anger management course for good measure.
>
> Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe I cycle 250 odd km a week with nary a
> problem because I'm blessed. Or maybe because I look out for myself and
> co-operate with motorists instead of treating them like the enemy.

don't ride in chapel st do you? Try it.. its an eye opener.

I know that i wasnt doing any one justice with my actions, but hell there are a few motorists out there that are not rider frienly as we all know.
My actions were for my own pleasure only becayse i'm tired of injuries that i did not cause to my self, damage to my bike(s) ect.
And anyone who frequently uses chaple st either on bike or motorcycle would testify that drivers their dont know how to drive.
My anger is for preservation of my self and other riders. Yes and vandalising their car is childish and yes maybe talking to the drivers would help the cause but their is years of motorcycling under the belt to be nice to drivers all the time.... but i'm trying.
I'm not anti driver, just anti moron.

"Torgo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I know that i wasnt doing any one justice with my actions, but hell
> there are a few motorists out there that are not rider frienly as we
> all know.
> My actions were for my own pleasure only becayse i'm tired of injuries
> that i did not cause to my self, damage to my bike(s) ect.
> And anyone who frequently uses chaple st either on bike or motorcycle
> would testify that drivers their dont know how to drive.
> My anger is for preservation of my self and other riders. Yes and
> vandalising their car is childish and yes maybe talking to the drivers
> would help the cause but their is years of motorcycling under the belt
> to be nice to drivers all the time.... but i'm trying.
> I'm not anti driver, just anti moron.
>

> --
> Torgo

Yes, I'm definately with Euan on this one Torgo

You have probably made these drivers more cyclist unfriendly than ever
before due to your actions.

I know it's ever so easy to fly off the handle instantly, and it's kind of
human nature in a way, but what these people need more than abuse, is
education and making them aware that we may be there and we can't stop if
someone suddenly opens the door.

People are too involved with their own problems these days to even think for
a second that their next action could affect another person till it happens
and what i find is that when it happens, most people feel like **** for
doing what they did.More so, many think ( this has come up in many
conversations)" I paid 40+ grand for my car plus rego and you're gunna tell
me to be aware of cyclists"!! This is the attitude we're up against and
untill it is policed (fat Chance!!) it'll just get worse.

I drive a city bus in Sydney and if you seen some of the things they do in
front of a bus, it'd make you skake your head in misbelief. Some of these
drivers we call suicide jockeys but they are out there and we have to take
this in consideration and be ready to act and read the traffic.This is
fairdinkum, I can drive up and down George street Sydney all day in the Bus
and not see one cop, how can we get motorists policed?

When i'm on my bike, I'm aware that i'm very much in the hands of Murphy's
Law hahaha!!

I know you're not going to educate everyone, there are many smartarses out
there , we all know that, but what i tend to do, if possible in that very
situation, and I guess it depends whether i'm still standing, is stop and
just casually without being a smart ****, just let them know that what they
did is illegal and if you were injured that they could be very liable for
injuries etc etc and to please be more careful.I find more often than not,
I get a "Oh jeez, sorry mate!!" Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't, but It
was done without anyone getting steamed up.

If we could get just one in every 20 extra drivers to be more vigilant and
aware that we are road users too, don't you think that will be good for all
of us ?

There is no trick in using the road really only to realise that you are
vulnarable to larger and faster vehicles and door openers, but if you know
about this in a certain area, i thought perhaps you'd be more vigilant
yourself.

Awareness......on a bicycle,that's what everything is all about!!

Regards

DJ

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes, I'm definately with Euan on this one Torgo
>
> You have probably made these drivers more cyclist unfriendly than ever
> before due to your actions.
>
> I know it's ever so easy to fly off the handle instantly, and it's kind of
> human nature in a way, but what these people need more than abuse, is
> education and making them aware.....

<snip lots of good advice>

> you are vulnarable to larger and faster vehicles and door openers, but if

you know
> about this in a certain area, i thought perhaps you'd be more vigilant
> yourself.
>
> Awareness......on a bicycle,that's what everything is all about!!

Great post DJ

Cheers
Peter

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

> dave> don't ride in chapel st do you? Try it.. its an eye opener.
>
> Guess again.
> --
> Cheers
> Euan

Euan,

I'm not sure which area or city he was actually referring to whether it was
Sydney < Melbourne or wherever but if the place is as bad as Torgo says it
is, surely there could either be an alternative route or he just has to be a
little more aware of his surroundings......it's well within his best
interests really!!
There are sooo many Chapel Streets in Sydney.

Regards
DJ

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

>> dave> don't ride in chapel st do you? Try it.. its an eye opener.
>>
>> Guess again.

> I'm not sure which area or city he was actually referring to whether
> it was Sydney < Melbourne or wherever but if the place is as bad as
> Torgo says it is, surely there could either be an alternative route
> or he just has to be a little more aware of his
> surroundings......it's well within his best interests really!!
> There are sooo many Chapel Streets in Sydney.

The Chapel St in question is one of the busiest shopping strips in
Melbourne, especially the section between Windsor and Sth Yarra. I live in
the general area and ride down Chapel St a lot. The sheer volume of traffic
means there's bound to be some morons. Every so often I notice one on two
wheels.

--

A: Top-posters.

DJ> I'm not sure which area or city he was actually referring to
DJ> whether it was Sydney < Melbourne

Melbourne.

DJ> ...is as bad as Torgo says it is, surely there could either be
DJ> an alternative route or he just has to be a little more aware of
DJ> his surroundings......it's well within his best interests
DJ> really!!

Precisely. I generally only cycle down Chapel Street when I'm going to
the market or some such. Between Highett and the City there are far
more pleasant and safer routes.

When I do cycle down Chapel Street though, I cycle at a reduced speed
and watch out for everything. Sure the law may say that I can barrel
along at up to 50 km/h but the road conditions don't allow for it so I
don't.

Just as there are motorists who think it's their god given right to
travel at the speed limit regardless of the conditions of the road,
there are cyclists who think the same. If these motorists and cyclists
slowed down and paid more attention, they'd not only live longer, they'd
be under a lot less stress to boot.
--
Cheers
Euan

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

[...]

> Just as there are motorists who think it's their god given right to
> travel at the speed limit regardless of the conditions of the road,
> there are cyclists who think the same. If these motorists and
> cyclists slowed down and paid more attention, they'd not only live
> longer, they'd be under a lot less stress to boot.

Speed is rarely an issue on Chapel St.

--

A: Top-posters.

DJ> I'm not sure which area or city he was actually referring to
DJ> whether it was Sydney < Melbourne

Melbourne.

DJ> ...is as bad as Torgo says it is, surely there could either be
DJ> an alternative route or he just has to be a little more aware of
DJ> his surroundings......it's well within his best interests
DJ> really!!

Precisely. I generally only cycle down Chapel Street when I'm going to
the market or some such. Between Highett and the City there are far
more pleasant and safer routes.

When I do cycle down Chapel Street though, I cycle at a reduced speed
and watch out for everything. Sure the law may say that I can barrel
along at up to 50 km/h but the road conditions don't allow for it so I
don't.

Just as there are motorists who think it's their god given right to
travel at the speed limit regardless of the conditions of the road,
there are cyclists who think the same. If these motorists and cyclists
slowed down and paid more attention, they'd not only live longer, they'd
be under a lot less stress to boot.
--
Cheers
Euan
As to say I only take Chapel st when need be, because of its un friendly trafic conditions. I feel safer taking St. Kilda road if i need to travel in to the city at any time.
And as for riding for the traffic conditions, I value my safty to well ho hoon around and having lost some close friends to their wreckless behaviour (these guys would race on chaple st or beach road at over 150k) has made me ever vigilant and aware to my suroundings.
Though this thread has made me reconsider some of my views, and well just going to try putting my anger and annoyance to the unaware drivers to a good use, i'll try educate (with out damaging).
I'v been discussing this over the past 2 days with some friends and came to the agreement that there are shocking drivers as well as riders and that all need to cooperate with each other and that i should heep my arm and legs away from theit car and keep my mouth shut unless they do hit me first....

Torgo said:
[...]

I'm pleased to see you reconsider. Incidentally it isn't the drivers in my experience that make Chapel St a hazard, it's the pedestrians who stride out and stop in the middle of the 'bike lane' (the bit between the [arked cars and the tram line) and then look around for traffic. Hopefully the formal bike lane next year should help with that.
StKilda Road is just as bad in this respect - the suits seem to be so focused on making $$$$ that they don't care who they walk ot in front of.

"Torgo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> DJ> I'm not sure which area or city he was actually referring to
>> DJ> whether it was Sydney < Melbourne
>>
>> Melbourne.
>>
>> DJ> ...is as bad as Torgo says it is, surely there could either be
>> DJ> an alternative route or he just has to be a little more aware of
>> DJ> his surroundings......it's well within his best interests
>> DJ> really!!
>>
>> Precisely. I generally only cycle down Chapel Street when I'm going
>> the market or some such. Between Highett and the City there are far
>> more pleasant and safer routes.
>>
>> When I do cycle down Chapel Street though, I cycle at a reduced speed
>> and watch out for everything. Sure the law may say that I can barrel
>> along at up to 50 km/h but the road conditions don't allow for it so I
>> don't.
>>
>> Just as there are motorists who think it's their god given right to
>> travel at the speed limit regardless of the conditions of the road,
>> there are cyclists who think the same. If these motorists and
>> cyclists
>> slowed down and paid more attention, they'd not only live longer,
>> they'd
>> be under a lot less stress to boot.
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Euan

> As to say I only take Chapel st when need be, because of its un
> friendly trafic conditions. I feel safer taking St. Kilda road if i
> need to travel in to the city at any time.
> And as for riding for the traffic conditions, I value my safty to well
> ho hoon around and having lost some close friends to their wreckless
> behaviour (these guys would race on chaple st or beach road at over
> 150k) has made me ever vigilant and aware to my suroundings.
> Though this thread has made me reconsider some of my views, and well
> just going to try putting my anger and annoyance to the unaware drivers
> to a good use, i'll try educate (with out damaging).
> I'v been discussing this over the past 2 days with some friends and
> came to the agreement that there are shocking drivers as well as riders
> and that all need to cooperate with each other and that i should heep my
> arm and legs away from theit car and keep my mouth shut unless they do
> hit me first....
>

> --
> Torgo

There is also something else to consider, and this may or may not ever
happen but i've seen it happen in George Street Sydney once.

A cyclist , possibly a courier, was giving verbal abuse to a chinese guy
trying to turn into hay street, well there was these other asian guys came
to the rescue of the chinese motorist and belted the **** out of the cyclist
making him a fare for the ambos.....don't put yourself in this situation,
it's not worth it and there are always some ******* out there who wants to
prove him/themselves.

Friendly advice

DJ

That happened to a courier once in Melbourne. He didn't end up in an ambulance, but later that same day the dumb ******* that tried to beat him up had to stump up for a new windscreen, rearview mirror and drivers side door. They had bike lock shaped holes in them. I'm not condoning it, but hey, I wasn't complaining either.

Roadie_scum said:
That happened to a courier once in Melbourne. He didn't end up in an ambulance, but later that same day the dumb ******* that tried to beat him up had to stump up for a new windscreen, rearview mirror and drivers side door. They had bike lock shaped holes in them. I'm not condoning it, but hey, I wasn't complaining either.
Hopefully that new bike lane/s along Chapel will make awareness greater.
It aint speed. It aint giving way. Its being aware ,actually thinking that someone on a bike might concieveably be there when you walk, pull out, open that car door.
Chapel St spooks me still. i lost my best mate to a car door there in '89.
It was busy back then. Its a zoo now mainly full of self-obsessed twats busy looking at their own reflections or what colour the 'new black' is...

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]

[...]

> Hopefully that new bike lane/s along Chapel will make awareness
> greater.

Since they're currently on trial and consequently don't have any bike
symbols to let people know that there actually is a bike path most people
don't know they're there. The only markings are the yellow dashes which
look simply like ordinary lane markings.

> It aint speed. It aint giving way. Its being aware ,actually thinking
> that someone on a bike might concieveably be there when you walk, pull
> out, open that car door.
> Chapel St spooks me still. i lost my best mate to a car door there in
> '89.

I don't know how anyone could be going fast enough on Chapel St for that
sort of thing to happen.

--

A: Top-posters.

DRS said:
Since they're currently on trial and consequently don't have any bike
symbols to let people know that there actually is a bike path most people
don't know they're there. The only markings are the yellow dashes which
look simply like ordinary lane markings.

Are they the 'new' ones which were announced in the last month or so, or the existing ones you refer to? Personally i think the coloured (whole lane) like they have in some locations elsewhere (and OS) would be the only best way to do em

DRS said:
I don't know how anyone could be going fast enough on Chapel St for that
sort of thing to happen.

We were riding, as estimated by the attending Police and subsequent coroner's inquest, at between 15/20kph.
The car door was opened. Andy had nowhere to go as a car was straddling both lanes to his right. The top corner of the door went straight thru his helmet and skull. According to the coroner if the timing were right this could be achieved at just above typical walking pace (ave 3-8kph).
Like i said, it aint speed, its awareness (or lack of it) that can kill...

PS the entire incident reached an inquest and subsequent criminal charges of the driver due to his lack of remorse, and abusing my (lieing on the ground already dead!) mate that he had damaged his car. He later hinted that he 'may have seen the cyclist' but opened the car door anyway to 'show him',
Hence his subsequent 5 year jail term for vehicular assault.
I dont want to get wound up on this subject, but i live with that memory.
I also ride with his...