Is Chapel/Church st where all the usless drivers go?

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]
> DRS Wrote:
>>
>> Since they're currently on trial and consequently don't have any bike
>> symbols to let people know that there actually is a bike path most
>> people
>> don't know they're there. The only markings are the yellow dashes
>> which
>> look simply like ordinary lane markings.

> Are they the 'new' ones which were announced in the last month or so,
> or the existing ones you refer to? Personally i think the coloured
> (whole lane) like they have in some locations elsewhere (and OS) would
> be the only best way to do em

For the purpose of this argument Chapel St has three zones. The first,
between Brighton Road and Dandenong Rd, has conventional bike lanes on the
road, marked by white lines and white bike symbols. The second runs between
Dandenong Rd and Toorak Rd (the shopping precinct). This has the trial bike
lanes, indicated by dashed yellow lines and no bike symbols. From memory
there is no marked bike lane in the third zone, Toorak Rd to Alexandra Ave.

The solid colour style of bike lane works very well. There's a green one on
the northbound side of St Kilda Rd as it comes down the hill from the Barkly
St intersection and across St Kilda Junction. It's solid colour because it
has a left turn lane on its left, so bikes wanting to go straight on towards
the city are for a short time in the midst of traffic rather than being
leftmost as they usually are. But the lane is wonderfully distinct and the
idea would work well on Chapel St. There could be no ambiguity or
uncertainty about the fact that there is a distinct lane, separate from the
car lane.

--

A: Top-posters.

>Is Chapel/Church st where all the usless drivers go?

AlisaHomes94583

yep but it will take yuo 20 mons. to get there

DRS said:
"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]
> DRS Wrote:
>>
>> Since they're currently on trial and consequently don't have any bike
>> symbols to let people know that there actually is a bike path most
>> people
>> don't know they're there. The only markings are the yellow dashes
>> which
>> look simply like ordinary lane markings.

> Are they the 'new' ones which were announced in the last month or so,
> or the existing ones you refer to? Personally i think the coloured
> (whole lane) like they have in some locations elsewhere (and OS) would
> be the only best way to do em

For the purpose of this argument Chapel St has three zones. The first,
between Brighton Road and Dandenong Rd, has conventional bike lanes on the
road, marked by white lines and white bike symbols. The second runs between
Dandenong Rd and Toorak Rd (the shopping precinct). This has the trial bike
lanes, indicated by dashed yellow lines and no bike symbols. From memory
there is no marked bike lane in the third zone, Toorak Rd to Alexandra Ave.

The solid colour style of bike lane works very well. There's a green one on
the northbound side of St Kilda Rd as it comes down the hill from the Barkly
St intersection and across St Kilda Junction. It's solid colour because it
has a left turn lane on its left, so bikes wanting to go straight on towards
the city are for a short time in the midst of traffic rather than being
leftmost as they usually are. But the lane is wonderfully distinct and the
idea would work well on Chapel St. There could be no ambiguity or
uncertainty about the fact that there is a distinct lane, separate from the
car lane.

--

A: Top-posters.
Thats one of the reasons i feel slightly safer on St.Kilda road is that green strip allbe it a short jog (just anoying if you lock up in the wet). In the Ideal world the green strip should be used in all main streets where there is the designated cycle lane. But as the most of us know Chapel st is very unpredictable, i think the best time to use it is like 0400 on a tuesday morning there's only a few stray cabs and delivery trucks..

Torgo> Thats one of the reasons i feel slightly safer on St.Kilda
Torgo> road is that green strip allbe it a short jog (just anoying
Torgo> if you lock up in the wet).

Is it just me or is that green strip treacherous as all get out in the
wet? I haven't come a cropper on it yet but I can't help feel that the
grip of wet green paint is a lot more precarious than that of wet
tarmac.

On the whole though I do far prefer the colored variety.
--
Cheers
Euan

flyingdutch said:
sometimes referred to as 'lung oyster'. A 'Hoik', A 'Hanga', A 'big green Gob'.
get the (less than resplendent) picture? ;)
oh!:eek:,
very classy!!

Must be a Geelong supporter (ooops, must not dwell on saturday night, repeat again....)

Torgo> Thats one of the reasons i feel slightly safer on St.Kilda
Torgo> road is that green strip allbe it a short jog (just anoying
Torgo> if you lock up in the wet).

Is it just me or is that green strip treacherous as all get out in the
wet? I haven't come a cropper on it yet but I can't help feel that the
grip of wet green paint is a lot more precarious than that of wet
tarmac.

On the whole though I do far prefer the colored variety.
--
Cheers
Euan
Yeah just like white lines and road markings painted bitumen when wet are the two wheel nightmare.
There must be some way of making it less slippery in the wet.
Though from Elma and through the junction you can get a jolly good pace up if the lights(gods) are in your favor im tipping some bizare inertia thing with the green strip or maybe just a mental state i get in to...

and my "bush oyster's" are the biproduct of the reformed smoker theres still garbage comming off those lungs. (and why would i support Gelong i cant go in to my disgust of AFL it would take up too much time)

"Torgo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> Yeah just like white lines and road markings painted bitumen when wet
> are the two wheel nightmare.
> There must be some way of making it less slippery in the wet.

There is. It's called non-slip paint. Councils hate it because it wears
out more quickly. Motorcyclists have been having this battle for years.

--

A: Top-posters.

> Torgo> Thats one of the reasons i feel slightly safer on St.Kilda
> Torgo> road is that green strip allbe it a short jog (just anoying
> Torgo> if you lock up in the wet).
>
> Is it just me or is that green strip treacherous as all get out in the
> wet? I haven't come a cropper on it yet but I can't help feel that the
> grip of wet green paint is a lot more precarious than that of wet
> tarmac.
>
> On the whole though I do far prefer the colored variety.
> --
> Cheers
> Euan

It probably isn't the paint you need to worry about. It's the grease and
oil that collects on top the painted surface that is the problem when the
conditions turn wet. On raw tarmac much of this soaks in to the surface and
hence when wet is not so much of a grip problem. I have a similar
experience which involves Yellow painted pedestrian crossings on High Street
in Preston (Melbourne). When they were new water was not really a problem
but now I have to be careful not to put power to the back wheel whilst
riding across them in the wet as they have become very greasy. Same goes
for those green, use at your own risk, bike lanes that I have seen installed
at a roundabout in Epping (Victoria).

Geoff

DRS said:
"Torgo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> Yeah just like white lines and road markings painted bitumen when wet
> are the two wheel nightmare.
> There must be some way of making it less slippery in the wet.

There is. It's called non-slip paint. Councils hate it because it wears
out more quickly. Motorcyclists have been having this battle for years.

--

A: Top-posters.
Same with the rope barrier, thanks to the reversal on the ruling on that one JEFF ever seen a motorcycle hit one of them at above 80. Not too much left of the legs...

"Torgo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> DRS Wrote:
> > "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
> > in message news:[email protected]

> > bike
> > >
> > > Are they the 'new' ones which were announced in the last month or

> > so,
> > > or the existing ones you refer to? Personally i think the coloured
> > > (whole lane) like they have in some locations elsewhere (and OS)

> > would
> > > be the only best way to do em

> > For the purpose of this argument Chapel St has three zones. The
> > first,
> > between Brighton Road and Dandenong Rd, has conventional bike lanes on
> > the
> > road, marked by white lines and white bike symbols. The second runs
> > between
> > Dandenong Rd and Toorak Rd (the shopping precinct). This has the
> > trial bike

><SNIP>

Try St. Kilda Rd heading into the city last night. Cars driving along the
bike lane. Cars parked in the bike lane. Cars passing me and then turning
left into parking spots (this is immediately after having overtaken me!).
Car doors opening into my path. Shesh!

On the bright side, I only saw one felow cyclist run a red light.

Cheers
Paulus

Paulus said:
"Torgo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> DRS Wrote:
> > "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
> > in message news:[email protected]

> > bike
> > >
> > > Are they the 'new' ones which were announced in the last month or

> > so,
> > > or the existing ones you refer to? Personally i think the coloured
> > > (whole lane) like they have in some locations elsewhere (and OS)

> > would
> > > be the only best way to do em

> > For the purpose of this argument Chapel St has three zones. The
> > first,
> > between Brighton Road and Dandenong Rd, has conventional bike lanes on
> > the
> > road, marked by white lines and white bike symbols. The second runs
> > between
> > Dandenong Rd and Toorak Rd (the shopping precinct). This has the
> > trial bike

><SNIP>

Try St. Kilda Rd heading into the city last night. Cars driving along the
bike lane. Cars parked in the bike lane. Cars passing me and then turning
left into parking spots (this is immediately after having overtaken me!).
Car doors opening into my path. Shesh!

On the bright side, I only saw one felow cyclist run a red light.

Cheers
Paulus
Bay St Port Melb gets my vote. Balding Barry Businessman with alco nose pulled his beigemobile past me on the outside, pulled up in front of me in the bike lane, stopped, put hazard lights on. Slapped his rear quarter panel in disgust and frustration. I turn up onto the pavement, and into Coles foyer to buy a bun from Brumbys. Balding Barry Businessman with alco nose follows me in and shirtfronts me in front of incredulous Brumbys staff and customers. Minor argy bargy ensues, he storms off into Coles shouting imprecations over his tan shoulderpads. This is only the worst of any number of 'park in the bikelane regardless of approaching bikes' episodes. Is it just trendy inner suburbs that suffer from the mix of disregard for others' safety combined with arrogance when confronted about it? I wish I'd kicked his f#@&*ng door in. He deserved it. Would have done about the same amount of damage as if I'd been slightly distracted and run into him.

M "book 'im Danno" H

Damned right it's over the top. Your actions are also criminal. Look
to your own actions before you dare to criticize others.

Behave irresponsibly and you generally get irresponsible treatment meted
out to you. Grow a little bit of tolerance, road awareness and get thee
down to an anger management course for good measure.

Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe I cycle 250 odd km a week with nary a
problem because I'm blessed. Or maybe because I look out for myself and
co-operate with motorists instead of treating them like the enemy.
--
Cheers
Euan

Where do you get all this self-righteous blah de blah from? Maybe you just don't have any negative karma to work out - in that case should we all genuflect before the cycling saint who never had a close encounter with motoring negligence, who just smiles sagely when people use a tonne of steel to blithely endanger the lives and limbs of others?

I agree that paintwork damage is a bit excessive except in the most extreme of circumstances, but a good hefty yell and wake-up slap on the bonnet/roof/quarterpanel (and if a dent results, who's to say it didn't result from motorist-initiated contact?) makes the point clearly, succinctly and effectively. Swearing is good tension release as long as you don't call their ancestry into question. Above all, attempt to educate. For instance: "OPEN YOUR EYES AND USE YOUR (expletive optional) WING MIRRORS - THAT"S WHAT THEY"RE FOR!!!" works better in the long run than "YOU ****ING ******** SHITBRAIN" even though to any other observer that's what they're behaving exactly like.

Bike riding in busy traffic involves adrenalin - and if you aren't riding a bit angry after an attempt to kill you, then you're not human. Anger management is just that - using it to your own benefit, not sweeping it under the mohair rug and sitting down with a calming chamomile tea. If you've got 5% of all motorists behaving negligently regularly, then they should have it called to their attention in no uncertain manner. Cursing out those motorist idiots who deserve it is not just a right, it's a duty, if done in a creative and forthright manner.

M "Ride Loud, Ride Proud" H

mfhor wrote:
> M "Ride Loud, Ride Proud" H

I love it. I want that on a bike shirt.

DaveB

mfhor said:
[...]

I've found the best way to deal with these guys is to tell them that it's OK, they can deal with their frustration over their wifes lack of love, their poorer than expected financial position and their overarching sense of entitlement by letting it all out to me. That's it mate. It's good to be angry (say it in a soothing, calm voice). And I know it's hard when noone understands that you are so important you should be able to drive wherever you want...

I had a guy drinking wine on the road in front of a gallery opening step out in front of me from between two parked cars. Having slammed on the brakes and almost hit him, I said (calmly) 'have you thought about standing on the footpath'. He says 'I'll stand wherever I want', so I say 'of course, that's because your more important than me, sorry'. Man left speechless, drinking colleague embarassed and slightly amused. No comeback. The best thing is make 'em realise that they really are dickheads. Unless they've actually tried to run you off the road deliberately. Then you can do whatever you want.

"mfhor" <[email protected]
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> For instance: "OPEN YOUR EYES AND USE YOUR (expletive
> optional) WING MIRRORS - THAT"S WHAT THEY"RE FOR!!!"

I want THIS on a shirt :)

> the long run than "YOU ****ING ******** SHITBRAIN" even though to

This one will be fine too ;-)

hippy

Torgo wrote:

> Out on a nice long ride yesterday out to se the folks, had to go through
> chapel st to run an errond or two when the first moron opened his door
> into me with his watch where your going type look. He copped a

yeah a fu#kwit did this to me a few years ago, had nowhere to go so
ended up plowing into his door, got a bruise across the chest from the
top of the door and a bent frame (front wheel was ok, shows how strong a
spoked wheel is), but I did bend his door bad enough so it would not
shut properly :)

mfhor> Where do you get all this self-righteous blah de blah from?

>snip<

Experience. Where we all get our opinions from.

I have opinions, I express them. For me the proof's in the pudding. I
used to get stressed, I used to scream and shout, I used to get worked
up.

Now I ride defensively and if someone causes me to brake, so what? I
remind myself that I'm enjoying my ride to work, I'm doing myself good
and I'm generally having a whole heap more fun than the motorists are.

Life's really too short to get worked up about it. And it's certainly
too short to get in to a flame war.

You deal with your anger how you see fit. Me, I'll carry on being happy
and choosing the battles I can win. Getting in to a debate with a
motorist who gives you a "what are you doing there" look is not going to
achieve anything.
--
Regards
Euan