Is climbing hills good enough at first??

millzebub

Jul 5, 2007
Hello All!
This is my first post on this forum but I have been following various threads for a while. I am new to cycling but like most people who try it, I have become addicted. I have a question regarding my usual ride which I hope someone can give me some advice on. I have been riding the same ride pretty much all the time. It goes like this: a 17 mile loop wherein the first 4 miles are relatively flat and the latter 4.5 are a steady 4-5% grade. The return is downhill with same flats. I try to keep a brisque pace(for me) on the flats (17-20mph) up to the climb where the speed drops off quite a bit. I have been doing this ride about 5 days a week for about 2 months and before that it was about 2 times a week for 6 months. I usually do the same ride but continue on longer on the weekends, so it can be 40 miles on a saturday sometimes. To make a long story short, I have been improving well with this routine but I was wondering if I should be doing intervals or something?? I have a HR monitor and have kept track of my HR which has came down quite a bit since I have improved (210max, would hover at 190-195 to start during the climb, but now around 165-170). This climb is difficult for me but has gotten easier with time. I try to keep a sustained pace on the climb which leads to heavy breathing towards the end of the ride. I am pushing myself on this all the way, but not beyond my ability to finish the climb. I wonder if this is what others have referred to as L4 training? I am keeping my HR at or around 80-90% of my max and not burning myself out. This climb takes around 30 minutes for me. A few details about me may help. I am 36, 6'0" and weigh 215lbs(my biggest problem. I would like to drop to about 180. Any suggestions?) Anyway, to restate my main question, does this seem like an ok beginning regimine for someone starting out?? (who definitely wants to get faster fast!) Thanks for any advice!:)

oh, and i do take rest days in between, so i do 3-1-2-1 like that usually.