Is colombus airplane durable?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by phillip-8727, Jul 24, 2004.

1. phillip-8727

phillip-8727 New Member

I remember reading on a site that colombus airplane frames, although light are not very durable. the siute said that you only get about 15 000km out of a frame. Is this true?
    i know that avanti and cinelli use airplane tubing on their top end frames.
    As i was thinking of buying a bike (cytek bikes) with colombus airplane tubing and colombus muscle forks and muscle seat stray and rear chain strays, i am interseted in the durablility of colombus airplane.
    (bike-http://www.beasleycycles.com.au/indexc2.htm)

any feedback would be great
    thanks

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Any advice that a tubeset is only good for xxx miles or xx years is just hooey. Just accept the fact that that if you want light stuff there may be a durability tradeoff with any material. Cdale has a lifetime warranty on their frames,but it covers defects in material and workmanship. On their lightweight caad7s they have an advisory about potential early fatigue with heavy use that is not covered by warranty. Cdale has gotten alot of bad press over that statement,but they are just providing a heads up that other makers don't feel inclined to offer. keep in mind too, that there are even more costly aluminum tubesetes(Starship is one) that are even lighter and potentially less durable than Airplane.

3. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

Hi,

Both the Starship and the XLR8R tube sets are not suitable for persons above 75kg. Unfortunately manufacturers often forget to suply this information. Airplane is often used by heavier riders (+75kg) and should be quite strong.
    It is a known fact that aluminium has it's limits regarding durability.

Whatever you decide, buy from a good frame builder, since the finishing of this tubeset is quite important. (5 days after welding 6h ageing at 90 degrees than 4h at 160 Celsius). Weldibility= very easy.

Did you know there is a variety of tubesets possible with the Airplane set? There's 3 base sets A,B and C. Some manufacturers have there own alterations to the sets.

Regards, Frank.

4. dhk

dhk New Member

Regardless of whatever the life would be in km for your useage profile, the same metal with more wall thickness is going to hold up longer, and provide more BB stiffness as well. If you value durability, why not pick a "lesser" frame of Altec2 or Zonal?

As a 76 kg club/distance event rider, I'd rather have 10 yr durability in a frame than the last 200 grams of weight savings. I typically carry 2-28 oz water bottles in the summer, which already outweigh my 1300 gm 58cm Zonal frame by a good margin.

5. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

One little thing I forgot to mention about the airplane set. The tubes are tripple butted, just like the starship tubes. However the airplane tubes should be stronger (and a little heavier) than starship tubes. I think all top of the line frames use the thin wall thickness which makes them very weak too point directed forces. But that's why they're so light. Altec is a very nice set too. Did you know a lot of pro cyclists ride on airplane and starship tube sets? I have also seen altec tubesets in the pro scene.

By the way it's impossible to make a mix from starship with airplane tubes. The heat absorbed by 6000 (starship) and 7000 (airplane) aluminium differs too much. But there is the possibility to choose between different chainstay sets (link, musscle, super musscle).

6. staller

staller New Member

I have raced/ridden quite a few 'high end' road frames to failure and so in my experience the airplane lasted a lot longer than lighter 6000 series alu frames but not as long as other lower spec 7000 series alu frames. Airplane is light, rides tight but I found too much impact vibration on rough roads - something which is claimed to be improved on my next frame, a XLR8R... In reality none of these top end frames are made to last more than a year of heavy use - mine developed all sorts of signs of fatigue after one season and failed at the end of season two.

7. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

I know of 4 guys to have busted the lighter Cinellis -- 2 on these forums and 2 on Beach Rd.

If you're worried about durability, maybe a Columbus Zonal frame would be better because it's a little heavier. I weighed a size "L" 2003 Cinelli Proxima (Zonal), which was 1390g -- so, still not 'heavy'

Other more sturdier alu tubes are Dedacciai 7003 and Columbus Altec2. I've had 3 of these (2 Dedacciais and 1 Altec), and, while I didn't ride them much, I didn't bust them, and they weren't too heavy: all about 1500 to 1550g