Is Columbus SL always double butted?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Harris, Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harris

Harris Guest

My backup bike is built on a Schwinn Circuit frame (1989). The tube sticker says, "Columbus Tubi
    Speciali Rinforzati Acciaio CrMo Cyclex SL Tre Tubi." I interpret this to mean the three main tubes
    are double-butted SL. Is that correct?

Art Harris

Tags:

2. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Guest

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:30:37 GMT, "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My backup bike is built on a Schwinn Circuit frame (1989). The tube sticker says, "Columbus Tubi
    >Speciali Rinforzati Acciaio CrMo Cyclex SL Tre Tubi." I interpret this to mean the three main tubes
    >are double-butted SL. Is that correct?
    >
    >Art Harris
    >

I think that is what the 'Speciali Rinforzati' means.

If you tap the tube with a piece of metal, like a key, and move along the length of the tube, you
    will hear a distinct difference in tone between the butted and unbutted sections on double-butted
    tubes. On unbutted tubing, the tone will be basically the same along the whole length.

3. In article <[email protected]>, Harris wrote:

> My backup bike is built on a Schwinn Circuit frame (1989). The tube sticker says, "Columbus Tubi
    > Speciali Rinforzati Acciaio CrMo Cyclex SL Tre Tubi." I interpret this to mean the three main
    > tubes are double-butted SL. Is that correct?

Yes. Columbus does have some light-weight straight-gauge tubesets (eg "KL" and "Record") but these
    are intended to be specialty items for time trials and record attempts. You're not likely to see
    them used on a production bike.

There's also a couple heavier straight-gauge sets ("Aelle" and "Zeta") intended for inexpensive
    frames, but anything with an "SL" sticker will be double-butted chrome-moly. The "Tre Tubi"
    designation on your bike means that only the three main frame tubes are certified to be SL.

--

-John ([email protected])

4. Tried mailing this to you, but you must have some sort of anti-spam thingie going on, it
    bounced back.

My Voyager is made from Columbus "Tenax" (Sp?) Any data on this tubing? I doubt it's anything
    special, just curious.

----------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted to rec.bicycles.tech:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Re: Is Columbus SL always double butted?

Group: rec.bicycles.tech Date: Tue, Jun 17, 2003, 5:00pm (EDT+4) From: [email protected]
    (John=A0Thompson)

In article <[email protected]>, Harris wrote:

>My backup bike is built on a Schwinn Circuit frame (1989). The tube sticker says, "Columbus Tubi
    >Speciali Rinforzati Acciaio CrMo Cyclex SL Tre Tubi." I interpret this to mean the three main tubes
    >are double-butted SL. Is that correct?

Yes. Columbus does have some light-weight straight-gauge tubesets (eg "KL" and "Record") but these
    are intended to be specialty items for time trials and record attempts. You're not likely to see
    them used on a production bike.

There's also a couple heavier straight-gauge sets ("Aelle" and "Zeta") intended for inexpensive
    frames, but anything with an "SL" sticker will be double-butted chrome-moly. =A0 The "Tre Tubi"
    designation on your bike means that only the three main frame tubes are certified to be SL.
    --
    -John ([email protected])

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.