Is Columbus SL always double butted?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Harris, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Harris

    Harris Guest

    My backup bike is built on a Schwinn Circuit frame (1989). The tube sticker says, "Columbus Tubi
    Speciali Rinforzati Acciaio CrMo Cyclex SL Tre Tubi." I interpret this to mean the three main tubes
    are double-butted SL. Is that correct?

    Art Harris

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:30:37 GMT, "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My backup bike is built on a Schwinn Circuit frame (1989). The tube sticker says, "Columbus Tubi
    >Speciali Rinforzati Acciaio CrMo Cyclex SL Tre Tubi." I interpret this to mean the three main tubes
    >are double-butted SL. Is that correct?
    >
    >Art Harris

    I think that is what the 'Speciali Rinforzati' means.

    If you tap the tube with a piece of metal, like a key, and move along the length of the tube, you
    will hear a distinct difference in tone between the butted and unbutted sections on double-butted
    tubes. On unbutted tubing, the tone will be basically the same along the whole length.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Harris wrote:

    > My backup bike is built on a Schwinn Circuit frame (1989). The tube sticker says, "Columbus Tubi
    > Speciali Rinforzati Acciaio CrMo Cyclex SL Tre Tubi." I interpret this to mean the three main
    > tubes are double-butted SL. Is that correct?

    Yes. Columbus does have some light-weight straight-gauge tubesets (eg "KL" and "Record") but these
    are intended to be specialty items for time trials and record attempts. You're not likely to see
    them used on a production bike.

    There's also a couple heavier straight-gauge sets ("Aelle" and "Zeta") intended for inexpensive
    frames, but anything with an "SL" sticker will be double-butted chrome-moly. The "Tre Tubi"
    designation on your bike means that only the three main frame tubes are certified to be SL.

    --

    -John ([email protected])

  4. Tried mailing this to you, but you must have some sort of anti-spam thingie going on, it
    bounced back.

    My Voyager is made from Columbus "Tenax" (Sp?) Any data on this tubing? I doubt it's anything
    special, just curious.

    Originally posted to rec.bicycles.tech:

    Re: Is Columbus SL always double butted?

    Group: rec.bicycles.tech Date: Tue, Jun 17, 2003, 5:00pm (EDT+4) From: [email protected]
    (John=A0Thompson)

    In article <[email protected]>, Harris wrote:

    >My backup bike is built on a Schwinn Circuit frame (1989). The tube sticker says, "Columbus Tubi
    >Speciali Rinforzati Acciaio CrMo Cyclex SL Tre Tubi." I interpret this to mean the three main tubes
    >are double-butted SL. Is that correct?

    Yes. Columbus does have some light-weight straight-gauge tubesets (eg "KL" and "Record") but these
    are intended to be specialty items for time trials and record attempts. You're not likely to see
    them used on a production bike.

    There's also a couple heavier straight-gauge sets ("Aelle" and "Zeta") intended for inexpensive
    frames, but anything with an "SL" sticker will be double-butted chrome-moly. =A0 The "Tre Tubi"