Is cycling a sport or a hobby ?

ausgirl said:
To me cycling is a sport, but also a passion. When you do it (riding and training) every day, live and breathe cycling, its a passion. It's also an addiction, of the very best kind!
more fun than getting drunk, more fun than taking drugs, okey you do to much you ache, but you can spin that off within a few minutes, unlike a hangover where no matter how many pain killers you take you still feel like poo!

but for me it ain't the cycling thats the addiction, i know its down to the chemicals released throughout my endocrine system that i am addicted to, the more you work, the better you get the more hormones released the better you feel, why pay for morphonols when your body under the right conditions will generate its own :) but boy does the cycling make it fun.

when you step down from your bike, legs a shaking, a feeling of well being and euphoria, sometimes just pure exhaustion but these are the times that i feel most alive. other than that everything comes second to last everything except is a bore.

mingcat9 said:
SPORT!!!! :eek: it's in the OLYMPICS, isn't it!!!!
mingcat9 said:
for those riding a huffy, then yes, it is a hobby. :D
for the rest of us it's a sport! for some a way of life.

I agree it is definily a sport. But Ping pong and Badmitton are in the olympics. In my opinion anything that is competitive and physicly exerting is a sport. I havent been in any races YET but I compete with myself every day and you better bet its physicly exerting. And dont knock the guys on Huffys just because your poor dosen't mean you cant be pasionate about the sport, my brother-in-law rides a $100 wal-mart Next but very few push themselves like he does. Its the heart that makes it a sport not the equipment.

Perhaps the better question is: Is cycling a sport or an athletic activity?

First, you have to establish some parameters. To me, sports are athletic activities where players compete against one another in comparison of MEASURABLE metrics: points accumulated, time spent, distance moved, weight lifted, etc. Cycling fits this definition. As does football, soccer, bowling, archery, competitive shuffleboard, etc.

However, other athletic activities that cannot be measured or judged in such concrete metrics, should not be considered "sports", even if they are equally or even more demanding. For instance, ice skating is physically demanding. It also takes skill, mental concentration, etc. However, points are awarded on a subjective basis by judges. There is no hard & fast rule that can say with any certainty that a certain jump is worth more points than another. It's totally SUBJECTIVE. Other examples of such athletic activities include gymnastics, ski jumping, diving, etc.

I'm sure that by now, you can see what can be considered a sport and what can be considered an activity, set by these definitions. It doesn't make an activity any less than another. It may not seem fair that badminton can be considered a sport and doing the beam or uneven parallel bars cannot, but that's just the way it is. :D

The addiction aspect has been touched on & I agree that it is most likely from the chemicals released.
As for the religious aspect. Part of my religious belief is that humans honor the creator through improving themselves to the best of their abilities.
In doing so you are rewarded not only with better health but a more complete soul & inner peace.

ajcoles said:
The addiction aspect has been touched on & I agree that it is most likely from the chemicals released.
As for the religious aspect. Part of my religious belief is that humans honor the creator through improving themselves to the best of their abilities.
In doing so you are rewarded not only with better health but a more complete soul & inner peace.
I agree the body is a temple, why not worship it it brings you good health and good times, with the added bonus of free drugs provided by itself either to ease its suffering or to relax it tension.

Danian said:
Perhaps the better question is: Is cycling a sport or an athletic activity?

First, you have to establish some parameters. To me, sports are athletic activities where players compete against one another in comparison of MEASURABLE metrics: points accumulated, time spent, distance moved, weight lifted, etc. Cycling fits this definition. As does football, soccer, bowling, archery, competitive shuffleboard, etc.

However, other athletic activities that cannot be measured or judged in such concrete metrics, should not be considered "sports", even if they are equally or even more demanding. For instance, ice skating is physically demanding. It also takes skill, mental concentration, etc. However, points are awarded on a subjective basis by judges. There is no hard & fast rule that can say with any certainty that a certain jump is worth more points than another. It's totally SUBJECTIVE. Other examples of such athletic activities include gymnastics, ski jumping, diving, etc.

I'm sure that by now, you can see what can be considered a sport and what can be considered an activity, set by these definitions. It doesn't make an activity any less than another. It may not seem fair that badminton can be considered a sport and doing the beam or uneven parallel bars cannot, but that's just the way it is. :D
You make good points but did you see my post #9? Anyway, yes, the vigor one puts in would probably be a good determining factor, among others. I do have an aversion to some of the activities in the olympics being touted as sports simply because they are represented therein.

Cruzzer08 said:

I agree it is definily a sport. But Ping pong and Badmitton are in the olympics. In my opinion anything that is competitive and physicly exerting is a sport. I havent been in any races YET but I compete with myself every day and you better bet its physicly exerting. And dont knock the guys on Huffys just because your poor dosen't mean you cant be pasionate about the sport, my brother-in-law rides a $100 wal-mart Next but very few push themselves like he does. Its the heart that makes it a sport not the equipment.
Calm down !!! Enough w/ the BOLD TYPE already !!! ;)

davidmc said:
You make good points but did you see my post #9? Anyway, yes, the vigor one puts in would probably be a good determining factor, among others. I do have an aversion to some of the activities in the olympics being touted as sports simply because they are represented therein.
I suppose it boils down to: activities that are judged soley on artistic merit should not be considered sports. What's one person's "10" is another person's "8.5". I'd make a terrible judge. I'd probably end up just voting for the hot chick! :p (In the 18 & up categories, of course.) :D

And those activities that can be considered sports aren't necessarily so. For instance, people who ride for pleasure or recreation are enjoying a hobby. People who ride competitively, either against others or themselves (beating their own time) are participating in a sport.

Danian said:
I suppose it boils down to: activities that are judged soley on artistic merit should not be considered sports. What's one person's "10" is another person's "8.5". I'd make a terrible judge. I'd probably end up just voting for the hot chick! :p (In the 18 & up categories, of course.) :D

And those activities that can be considered sports aren't necessarily so. For instance, people who ride for pleasure or recreation are enjoying a hobby. People who ride competitively, either against others or themselves (beating their own time) are participating in a sport.
i's say it was a sport i you got aq prize at the end of it, if not then its an hobby or an activity. how can you give yourself first prize for winning a race against your own set time.

that would always make you a winner.

closesupport said:
i's say it was a sport i you got aq prize at the end of it, if not then its an hobby or an activity. how can you give yourself first prize for winning a race against your own set time.

I wasn't aware that for an activity to be a sport it must be competitive! According to the Oxford dictionary, a sport is an activity that you do for pleasure and that needs physical effort or skill...
And who cares, anyway? Would it be somehow less worthy and give you less satisfaction if it were only a hobby?

darnok said:
I wasn't aware that for an activity to be a sport it must be competitive! According to the Oxford dictionary, a sport is an activity that you do for pleasure and that needs physical effort or skill...
And who cares, anyway? Would it be somehow less worthy and give you less satisfaction if it were only a hobby?
i have never liked sport, i like to think of it as an active hobby, hopeully i will turn it into a sport in the next few months :)

don't spoil it!:)

closesupport said:

Don't you know? You're always a winner! You're #1! Because you're good enough, smart enough, and doggone it...people like you! :p

Sorry. It was the first thing that popped into my head.

Anyway, it's not the prize you strive for, but the win. The domination over your opponents. That's why you keep score. How can you win against yourself? Have you ever tried to beat your own time? Have you ever said "Gee, I did this route in one hour last time. Let's see if I can do it in 50 minutes!" Or "Hmmm, I lifted 225 pounds last week. I'm going to try to lift 250 this week!" The prize would be the knowledge and satisfaction that you can indeed do better than your best.

How can you apply this to what I said before? Well, it's easier for you to say "I was 5.3 minutes quicker than I was last time!" versus "I feel I dismounted the beam nicely. I give myself a 9.5 this time." Sport versus athletic activity. And like I said before, some activities can be both. Like cycling. Just my opinion.:cool:

Danian said:

I think you may have nailed it, not one of the hot chicks but, one of the best answers !!! Something that did'nt occur to me. I might change it to read-"...any artistic merit..."

darnok said:
Well then, according to the Oxford dictionary, sex would be a sport. It's done for pleasure, needs physical effort or skill, etc. Of course, try approaching the ladies and declaring "I think sex is a sport" and see how it goes! You might see them show you a sport they believe in, too...the 100m sprint...away from you. (Then again, I know some guys who do and some gals who say "bring it on!") Hmmm, declaring sex is a hobby doesn't seem right either. :eek: Just leave it in the "activity" column and you'll be alright. :D

Hey, out of curiosity, can anyone describe a sport that has no competitive component to it? No comparison of points, times, scores, or other metrics against someone else.

davidmc said:
I think you may have nailed it, not one of the hot chicks but, one of the best answers !!! Something that did'nt occur to me. I might change it to read-"...any artistic merit..."
This is just my thought on the subject. You realize that under my definition, competitive chess, high school math teams, and even golf would be considered sports! :) And many times they are treated as such. Schools will cheer their math teams on, people (not many, but they're there) are glued to results of chess competitions, etc. All the elements of "sports." Interesting, huh? All semantics in this crazy language we love to use.

Danian said:
This is just my thought on the subject. You realize that under my definition, competitive chess, high school math teams, and even golf would be considered sports! :) And many times they are treated as such. Schools will cheer their math teams on, people (not many, but they're there) are glued to results of chess competitions, etc. All the elements of "sports." Interesting, huh? All semantics in this crazy language we love to use.
Chess is definitely NOT a hobby. It is a passion that has ruthlessness,tactics, skill,cunning,strategy,ect...(kind of like cycling),This game was given to the world by the middle east &/ or persia, just as algebra was. I think i'm getting ready to give up on this thread, because, as you said; semantics will destroy it !!! :(

Both *and* a way of life. I cycle everywhere: Travel for days, practice, commute to work and in a few moments to my favorite icecream shop:cool: . In fact I have come to the conclusion that I cycle more than walk:D . The only thing I don't do is competing, I just find it boring. I used to watch the great races and wonder how can these people concentrate on competing when there is so much beauty around them:confused:

ItsikH said:
Both *and* a way of life. I cycle everywhere: Travel for days, practice, commute to work and in a few moments to my favorite icecream shop:cool: . In fact I have come to the conclusion that I cycle more than walk:D . The only thing I don't do is competing, I just find it boring. I used to watch the great races and wonder how can these people concentrate on competing when there is so much beauty around them:confused:
Yeah, i don't care much for the competitive side now for the reason you listed & the ongoing doping.