Is cycling a sport or a hobby ?

ItsikH said:
Both *and* a way of life. I cycle everywhere: Travel for days, practice, commute to work and in a few moments to my favorite icecream shop:cool: . In fact I have come to the conclusion that I cycle more than walk:D . The only thing I don't do is competing, I just find it boring. I used to watch the great races and wonder how can these people concentrate on competing when there is so much beauty around them:confused:
I'm pretty much the same, i ride alot more than i walk, a simple trek to the shop turns into a mad spinning session since its only a 1000m or so plus when i travel to work, i don't drive, i choose not to; mainly because i think that there is enough polution without me contrbuting to it, plus i feel i do enough walking when i'm at work.

my little boy complains when i take him to school, since i make him sit on the crossbar of the mtb. his school had a walk to school week, i reffused to walk plainly due to the fact that i much prefare to cycle and i don't contribute to polution i anyway shape or form anyway.

For me, cycling is pretty much my ONLY mode of transportation, so while sometimes I do it for fun as well (meeting the qualifier of 'hobby'), but not (yet) to the degree of competition (which pushes away 'sport') It came about out of necessity, due to medical reasons (epilepsy), but now I consider it a mainstay that is responsible for my better health. I do at LEAST 66 miles a week (5.5 miles morn/5.5 eve, weekdays), and some weekends I do tours as long as 50 miles. While a respectible distance to those not inclined to cyclists, once I place in the fact that I go less often on the 52 chainring (then I used to), that would SURELY dismiss me from the label, 'sport'. If asked by other cyclists, I'd probably call myself a 'commuter/tourist', but 'sport'? Not really, although I DO have my moments:D

In fact, while the Trek 1000 (labelled, "sport/tourer") has done admirably, at this juncture I believe that in the future, IF DF frame design doesn't agrivate my periformis/psiatica (and relegate me to recumbency), then I might choose a dedicated touring frame, chromoloy with thicker tires (36c or so, for a softer ride) and barcon shifting, put away the leg pounding 'sport tourer' and go for the (occasionally) loaded high-speed spinning (at 33, I, unlike Armstrong:rolleyes: , am now beginning to realize my limitations, and am planning on acting accordingly). THAT would SURELY divorce me from the 'sport' label, even though the uninitiated 'car-riders' might call me 'dedicated', to say the least!:D

bentupright said:
For me, cycling is pretty much my ONLY mode of transportation, so while sometimes I do it for fun as well (meeting the qualifier of 'hobby'), but not (yet) to the degree of competition (which pushes away 'sport') It came about out of necessity, due to medical reasons (epilepsy), but now I consider it a mainstay that is responsible for my better health. I do at LEAST 66 miles a week (5.5 miles morn/5.5 eve, weekdays), and some weekends I do tours as long as 50 miles. While a respectible distance to those not inclined to cyclists, once I place in the fact that I go less often on the 52 chainring (then I used to), that would SURELY dismiss me from the label, 'sport'. If asked by other cyclists, I'd probably call myself a 'commuter/tourist', but 'sport'? Not really, although I DO have my moments:D

In fact, while the Trek 1000 (labelled, "sport/tourer") has done admirably, at this juncture I believe that in the future, IF DF frame design doesn't agrivate my periformis/psiatica (and relegate me to recumbency), then I might choose a dedicated touring frame, chromoloy with thicker tires (36c or so, for a softer ride) and barcon shifting, put away the leg pounding 'sport tourer' and go for the (occasionally) loaded high-speed spinning (at 33, I, unlike Armstrong:rolleyes: , am now beginning to realize my limitations, and am planning on acting accordingly). THAT would SURELY divorce me from the 'sport' label, even though the uninitiated 'car-riders' might call me 'dedicated', to say the least!:D
Yes Touring/commuting falls into the "dedicated" category which places it beyond a hobby. I just pulled the topic from a magazine article. They probably worded it that way to raise some eyebrow's.

There's not as much money in it as I would have thought. No wonder Eddy Merckx advised Axel to be a footballer.
I read the average pro-cyclist earns a little less than a white collar worker in Europe. Even Lance divides all the cash prize of the TDF to his team and himself relies on his marketing value outside of the cash prize system. This TDF money is then divided up amongst the mechanics, team members, masseurs, physios and hangers-on.
They make a living but not a fortune.

Danian said:
Well then, according to the Oxford dictionary, sex would be a sport. It's done for pleasure, needs physical effort or skill, etc. Of course, try approaching the ladies and declaring "I think sex is a sport" and see how it goes! You might see them show you a sport they believe in, too...the 100m sprint...away from you. (Then again, I know some guys who do and some gals who say "bring it on!") Hmmm, declaring sex is a hobby doesn't seem right either. :eek: Just leave it in the "activity" column and you'll be alright. :D

Hey, out of curiosity, can anyone describe a sport that has no competitive component to it? No comparison of points, times, scores, or other metrics against someone else.
Rock climbing.

cycling is a hobby when i partake but a sport when i watch on TV...dats my view...which is the correct view, unimpeachable and pristine...if you dont agree then you're wrong. Simple as that.

MountainPro said:
but a sport when i watch on TV...dats my view...
So what mountain pro means is, take out your trainer, put on your bike on trainer, tune in to tour de france or cycling DVD, put an electric fan in front of you face, put on your yellow jersey and start paddling like you're dropping lance...

Right so if someone asks me what sports i do i reply ,MTBing and SCUBA
if on my way to spend money on some new accesories
my wife refers to it as waisting more money on my hobbies.

stevebaby said:
Rock climbing.
Well, there are times people try to beat when climbing, say, El Capitan. I think whatever it is, if you can bet money on it, it is probably a sport :cool: .

willocrew said:
So what mountain pro means is, take out your trainer, put on your bike on trainer, tune in to tour de france or cycling DVD, put an electric fan in front of you face, put on your yellow jersey and start paddling like you're dropping lance...
...beer in the bidon,"TdF Podium Girls Nude" on the DVD,fridge nearby,no lousy weather..I think you're on to something here Willo.

My friends and I have always said, "If there is a chance for blood, serious injury, or even death, it's a sport." Car racing, football, cycling, surfing... = sports. Ice curling, table tennis, golf, bowling, darts...= games or hobbies. Now, if you could block the drive in golf...it'd be a damned interesting sport. Till then, it's just lawn billiards. ;)
Conclusion... cycling is a sport, but for many it's a way of life!

True sport must offer the possibility of meeting nurses.
Further sport hopefully ensues. :D

stevebaby said:
True sport must offer the possibility of meeting nurses.
Further sport hopefully ensues. :D

Sport:
"something you watch on TV while you sit on the sofa getting drunk shouting obscenities at people 100 times fitter and more skilled than yourself."

even Taiwainese ping pong has a certain entertainment value when you are bladdered to the point of near unconciousness.

you get a glimpse of the womens white underwear....yea, you have to watch it for hours but when it happens its really worth it....

honestly..

why is it that you feel guilty while watching the TDF highlights a 10pm with a beer but you dont feel guilty knocking back a few light ales in the afternoon when the footie if on in the pub?

one of lifes mysteries, perhaps we'll never know....its like who invented the lightbulb....or who was the first man on the moon....no ones knows, or will ever know...

strange..