Is cycling a sport or a hobby ?

davidmc

Jun 23, 2004
I know I'm going 2 get some very passionate responses to this 1. I read an article, along these lines, so was interested in to how cyclists feel about this & the reasons for your view. ;)

Like most things - it depends on who you are. For the average person riding - it is a hobby of theirs and maybe a sport they watch. Or others would consider it a sport they watch and participate in. I happen to fall in the second group as I am working on the racing end. Now for non riders - it could be considered a sport, a hobby, a nuicesance (sp?), etc...

SPORT!!!! :eek: it's in the OLYMPICS, isn't it!!!!

for those riding a huffy, then yes, it is a hobby. :D
for the rest of us it's a sport! for some a way of life.

as far as the olympics go & the so called "sports" represented therein, thats not saying much :mad: . As 4 me, cycling is a way of life & i enjoy it immensely. I'm not the sporting type but there are many aspects of bicycling that r very difficult & could be considered "sporting". Tecnnical mountain & roadbiking come 2 mind.

It is a hobby to some who just enjoy it be it is no question a sport when it comes to racing and the competitive end.

To me it is both, i enjoy it as a hobby, but i do it is much i enter some of the lower level races and enjoy competing and training, and of course i love watching the tour and other races which no one could deny as being a sport.

Now dance is a good thing to question.. cuz i know people that call that a sport

It's both. Its very definitely a sport, but the amount of time and money that I put into looking after my bikes makes it a hobby too :)

Please explain the question. Why can't one have a sport as a hobby? What's the difference?

hobby is activity 4 pleasure or relaxation during spare time, sport is activity of a more challenging or competitive (a.k.a-"sporting") nature [from dictionary]

To some , like me it is a way of life. That is why I have a bike for every day.

andhar said:
To some , like me it is a way of life. That is why I have a bike for every day.
Maintaining my bike is a hobby. Riding it is a sport. Building wheels is a hobby of mine. Time trialing like Lance is a dream.

Weisse Luft said:
Maintaining my bike is a hobby. Riding it is a sport. Building wheels is a hobby of mine. Time trialing like Lance is a dream.
I enjoy building and repairing my bikes they are like my children, they get very well cared for this is just a hoby i agree!, i enjoy the feeling of peace and serenty that i feel when im out on my bike, i enjoy the silence at times the ability to listen to myself without disturance, i Love the way the landscape passes by, i love to play catch up when you see another cyclist on the road in the distance then chase them down.

id like to think that it only became a sport once you begin to compete, other than that its a hobby or a way of life.

some folk drink, take drugs, party, enjoy cinema, and enjoy good food. this they claim is just a away of life. me well its through exercise and cycling that make me feel alive, this it what makes me feel human. not only that i find it realxing and calming afterwards.

Cycling to me is a lifestyle and a way of life. A sport a passtime a passion and an obsession dating from 1983.One of those love hate things sometimes.
I hope I never get over it. ;)

jhuskey said:
Cycling to me is a lifestyle and a way of life. A sport a passtime a passion and an obsession dating from 1983.One of those love hate things sometimes.
I hope I never get over it. ;)
i know exactly what you mean! i used to feel so passionately about running, until one day i endured the most heart rentching of moments, The pop of an ankle, the doctors voice saying its broken several places. its gonna take some time, 14mths later manipulating a dislocated joint, you know your fitness has suffered surveirly. you can't bring your self to push as hard as you did incase of it happening again and the thught of all that hard work and effort again going to waste, its gone, it just aint there anymore.

Now still to this day i fear running, i fear that injury. the thought of being stuck in without the freedom i used enjoy. now cycling is beginning to fill that void and again its through Cycling not exercise that i feel normal and alive.

Although everything i learned when endurance training seems not to have been wasted after all. i hope one day it will take over as an obsession like running before ;) i hope you never have to experience it.

be safe ............................................................!

closesupport said:
i know exactly what you mean! i used to feel so passionately about running, until one day i endured the most heart rentching of moments, The pop of an ankle, the doctors voice saying its broken several places. its gonna take some time, 14mths later manipulating a dislocated joint, you know your fitness has suffered surveirly. you can't bring your self to push as hard as you did incase of it happening again and the thught of all that hard work and effort again going to waste, its gone, it just aint there anymore.

Now still to this day i fear running, i fear that injury. the thought of being stuck in without the freedom i used enjoy. now cycling is beginning to fill that void and again its through Cycling not exercise that i feel normal and alive.

Although everything i learned when endurance training seems not to have been wasted after all. i hope one day it will take over as an obsession like running before ;) i hope you never have to experience it.

be safe ............................................................!

I was a pretty hot skier at one time 15 years with the National Ski Patrol. Freestyle and Racing. I cycled in the off season to stay in shape and loved it. I had a couple of injuries before the big one. Massive knee injury. So much for skiing I was just skiing down fell (a simple fall) and torn my knee all to ,well you know but I could still ride a bike after a period of healing. Cycling doesn't require the severe lateral stress as skiing does. A friend of mine named Mike got all way to US ski team as a B racer fell in practice and shattered his leg,ending his career as a ski racer.
Tyler Hamilton was a skier also ,I believe. I may have been
on his level as a skier but not as a Cyclist, not even in the same universe. Anyway I love to ride,the endorphine rush I guess.

jhuskey said:
I was a pretty hot skier at one time 15 years with the National Ski Patrol. Freestyle and Racing. I cycled in the off season to stay in shape and loved it. I had a couple of injuries before the big one. Massive knee injury. So much for skiing I was just skiing down fell (a simple fall) and torn my knee all to ,well you know but I could still ride a bike after a period of healing. Cycling doesn't require the severe lateral stress as skiing does. A friend of mine named Mike got all way to US ski team as a B racer fell in practice and shattered his leg,ending his career as a ski racer.
Tyler Hamilton was a skier also ,I believe. I may have been
on his level as a skier but not as a Cyclist, not even in the same universe. Anyway I love to ride,the endorphine rush I guess.
maybe it is down to endrophines enkephalines with a large amount of adrenaline, the fact that when i have finished i feel ohh so calm and relaxed.

i usually live quite a stressful life, and Quote (its through pain and exercise that i feel normal and alive). but i can sympathise with you

closesupport said:
maybe it is down to endrophines enkephalines with a large amount of adrenaline, the fact that when i have finished i feel ohh so calm and relaxed.

i usually live quite a stressful life, and Quote (its through pain and exercise that i feel normal and alive). but i can sympathise with you

I agree I deal with attorneys,insurance companies,govermental agencies and assorted problems and then there are the bad points of my job.

All the natural body secretions are great but a Budweiser boost at the end of a sweaty ride don't seem to hurt.

Life is a rollercaoster ride some just watch,some ride the front car and raise hell,some just puke and *****. I'm still working in it!

To me cycling is a sport, but also a passion. When you do it (riding and training) every day, live and breathe cycling, its a passion. It's also an addiction, of the very best kind!